March 2018 Moms
Options

Fitness Friday Check-in 10/20

Happy Friday, ya'll!!
How many weeks are you?

What's keeping you active? What activities are feeling good right now?

What modifications, if any, have you made to your activities?

What is your plan for the coming week for staying active?

GTKY: What is your favorite workout, pregnant or not?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Fitness Friday Check-in 10/20

• Options
    How many weeks are you?
    17+4

What is keeping me active is that it has always been my routine to be active/workout so I am trying not to change it, but there is also motivation of not gaining an excessive amount of weight either. I am so fearful of that. I already have a body type that I have to workout AND eat right to keep weight off, and all the women in my family are somewhat overweight. I want to stay active (and eat right) so I will hopefully bounce back quicker after. I am feeling good about the fact that I have not really had to modify any of my workouts yet.. except ab stuff. I have diastasis recti already (I am assuming I had it before since I don't even have a true bump yet) and it is definitely getting worse as the weeks go by. :( I am going to ask my doc his recommendations about it in Tuesday at my appt.

None so far, besides the ab stuff mentioned above

I try my best to go to the gym about 4:15-4:30am before I go to work. If I don't, I usually go after work, but I HATE the 5:00pm gym crowd. I did just ok this past week, hoping to be a little better next week with getting up when my alarm goes off. 

I love doing lower body workout (my legs are my money makers  ;)). And I love the stairmaster. 
  • Options
    @npkat I could have said ditto and left it at that!

How many weeks are you? 20w3d

What's keeping you active? What activities are feeling good right now? Working out is part of our lifestyle, so I've just kept my routine. I workout in the morning before work, and it's always been the best way to start my day. 

I used to do HIIT runs twice a week, but my knee is making that impossible. I do arc trainer intervals on those days, or run/walk intervals as long as my knee will take me. Otherwise, I do my traditional upper and lower body lifts throughout the week following a 10-minute warmup. With volleyball season ending, I'll be doing swimming workouts after school twice a week with a couple of my coworkers, so it'll be a two-a-day scenario, but swimming feels so good that I don't think it'll feel too strenuous!

What modifications, if any, have you made to your activities? Running to arc has been the biggest transition. I have been modifying my core workouts for comfort, and my intervals are a bit slower!

What is your plan for the coming week for staying active? Tomorrow will be a rest day, Sunday I swim, Monday is elliptical or arc intervals, Tuesday is shoulders/tris, Wednesday is leg day, Thursday is back/chest/bis, Friday is elliptical or arc intervals, repeat. 

GTKY: What is your favorite workout, pregnant or not? I LOVE leg day. I've always felt a lot better, stronger, etc. when I have good leg lifts throughout the week. My legs are generally stronger and more powerful than any other part of me, so it's a boost I like! :smile: We have a TRX and I have a leg series that I do with it, or I do the TRX at the gym alternating weeks with my heavier lifts for legs.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    How many weeks are you?
    17+3

walking is keeping me active. I feel great not moving the car and walking pretty much everywhere I need to go.

I stopped my usual activities (Zumba and heavy lifting) as per my doctor’s recommendations. So it’s just walking outside and gym for the elliptical or treadmill when the weather is bad.

I go for a 3 mile walk most days while the kids are at school, so I will continue that. Also, bring the kids to the park and all that fun stuff. Nothing too structured.

Zumba with a great instructor is hands down my favorite workout. If it’s a good class it doesn’t even feel like working out and is so much fun.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm just stopping by to say I failed miserably this week, but I hope to get back on track next week! We were out of town last weekend and again this weekend, so that always throws me off. I like this thread to keep me accountable, so hopefully I'll have more to report next week! :) you guys are awesome with sticking to your schedules!
  • Options
    @LiveNLove44 I saw you said your husband is a personal trainer.. does he have any ab exercises or tips specifically for diastasis recti?!
  • Options
    npkat said:
    @LiveNLove44 I saw you said your husband is a personal trainer.. does he have any ab exercises or tips specifically for diastasis recti?!
    @npkat, since you already have it and you are pregnant, your best bet right now will be holds. For instance, you know how women do kegels throughout the day (e.g., driving to work, when they Bump, etc.)? Make time each day to do some reps of pulling your belly button to your spine and hold for 10-15 seconds, release, and then repeat. It can feel most effective when you are reclined or standing, and you want to be sure you are breathing normally through the hold. It's not "sucking in" rather, it's really engaging and holding your core together (hugging the baby in). Now is actually a much better time than late pregnancy to try this. Later in pregnancy, you'd be working with already stretched and fatigued muscles that may not respond as you'd like. I hope it helps!