April 2018 Moms

Weekly randoms - 10/23

Re: Weekly randoms - 10/23

• @BarefootContessa it's crazy and honestly pretty sad that planning your family around child care expenses is reality for a lot of people. As soon as we saw the prices on real paper we both agreed that if there's a second baby, it won't be coming until at least one of our moms retires because there's no way we could afford 2 in daycare. 
    Me: 31  DH: 32
    Married: 10/3/15 
    TTC: May 2017
    BFP: 7/20/17
    EDD: 3/29/18
  • @BarefootContessa where are you located?  I'm close to Indy as well,  I live in the Fishers area. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @frenchiekinplusone Does your employer offer a daycare FSA or daycare assistance?  It takes a set amount out of your paycheck before taxes and you can use it to pay daycare. We can only use $5000 a year which is barely half of DS daycare. Our daycare does pricing for 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 days so hopefully you can find one that does too! 
  • @peppersmith22 I'm going to ask today but I highly doubt it - the benefits at my work are pretty basic; hence why I jumped on DHs insurance as soon as I could. Fingers crossed there's something! He works for a startup so I doubt there's anything at his employer either. And yes, def hoping to find better price structures at other places. 
    Me: 31  DH: 32
    Married: 10/3/15 
    TTC: May 2017
    BFP: 7/20/17
    EDD: 3/29/18
  • @frenchiekinplusone we visited 7 places before we found one that we liked. Good news is you're looking relatively early! When we were looking last time some places were booked up for kids who weren't even conceived yet, it's ridiculous.
  • @frenchiekinplusone I feel ya on the boston prices.  Thankfully the daycare places i've chosen do have the 4 day option....I'll take what I can get!!! Maybe me being outside the city opens up the options a bit.  I figure some places probably consider 4 days full time because they aren't going to get someone to fill a 1 day a week friday slot type of deal. I second @kmalls on the home daycare.  DD was in one until age 3 (they then retired).  It certainly wasn't cheap by any means but they were family to me and so accommodating.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hey everyone! I'm also finally back!

Re: Daycare stuff - The cost is astronomical and I've always wondered how so many families get by with that noose hanging around their neck. We've started counting down the days when DS will no longer be in daycare (2020 :D:D). It will actually be tantamount to a pay raise when our kids are all finally in school. We could pay for all three of them to go to private school for cheaper than daycare. Starting the daycare search EARLY, especially in big cities, is SO important. Those suckers fill up fast.

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • PSA: if you get the dip nails, do not, I repeat do not try removing at home. My nails are growing too fast and I don’t want nor do I have time or $$ to get a weekly manicure. I didn’t have time to go to the nail salon last night and my nails were super grown out. I have a client meeting today and I thought the process would be similar to removing shallic so I attempted removal at Home. It took Forever! I spent three hours removing my nail color. Why can’t salons be open until 10:00 or open at 6 am?!? I did get the dip off, but it took a lot of elbow grease. 

• @kmalls now THAT is a steal!!!! I just dropped 23 a pair on CK for SO even at the outlets.....whyyyyy
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @kmalls - that is awesome!  Love it!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • angiek1 said:
    PSA: if you get the dip nails, do not, I repeat do not try removing at home. My nails are growing too fast and I don’t want nor do I have time or $$ to get a weekly manicure. I didn’t have time to go to the nail salon last night and my nails were super grown out. I have a client meeting today and I thought the process would be similar to removing shallic so I attempted removal at Home. It took Forever! I spent three hours removing my nail color. Why can’t salons be open until 10:00 or open at 6 am?!? I did get the dip off, but it took a lot of elbow grease. 

My nail tech talked me into getting the dip for the first time a few months ago and I hated it! My nails were physically painful for a few days afterwards. 
  • @Dumbgurl04 and @BarefootContessa I was in Carmel all weekend! My brother used to live in Fishers! 
  • @JJMNO1616 daycare costs are awful but student loan debt is right up there for us too.  We pay as much as our monthly mortgage is if not more on our loans.  We always joke about the things we will be able to afford once those are paid off.

@kmalls TJ maxx is awesome!  I always buy my husband his Puma socks, underwear etc there.  

@angiek1 It's been awhile since I've had my nails done so I had to look up what this dip was.  Anything that takes 3 hours to get off sounds awful!  And I thougtht Shallac was bad.

• @mispanda I just refinanced my student loans for this reason too.  I was paying like 5 places and way too much a month.  I highly recommend SoFi.  (I have a referral thing I can send you if you are interested and want to PM me)  They were so easy to work with and after attempting to refi with two other companies I was about ready to give up.  You can pick you loan term (i.e 5, 7, 10 etc years) which I thought was so nice.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lol @mispanda literally bought him a 6 pack of Puma socks, too :D
  • I second SoFi.  I just refinanced one of my loans through them and am about to refinance another one.  We pay about a mortgage payment on my loans every month as well.  I just want them gone!
  • @ekendall09 I have everything set up to refinance with SoFi!  I just actually have to go through with it but I've been so busy lately!  Thanks for the reminder!
  • jenotontxjenotontx member
    edited October 2017
    @mispanda I just refinanced my student loans for this reason too.  I was paying like 5 places and way too much a month.  I highly recommend SoFi.  (I have a referral thing I can send you if you are interested and want to PM me)  They were so easy to work with and after attempting to refi with two other companies I was about ready to give up.  You can pick you loan term (i.e 5, 7, 10 etc years) which I thought was so nice.
    Sofi has actually been going through some serious issues recently. I am glad to hear you haven't had any issues but I know someone who has had nothing but issues with them. Their CEO was recently asked to step down due to sexual harassment and the company tried selling itself earlier this year.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/technology/sofi-chief-executive-toxic-workplace.html

@mispanda I have been lucky up until this month. I have qualified for IBR/financial hardship which has significantly lowered my loan payments up until now. With my H and I getting married last summer my married income on our 2016 tax return disqualifies me for the financial hardship starting next month though. So as of November we will be paying 4X the amount I am paying right now. We have known since day one that this was coming and we weighted the pros and cons of filing married single/jointly but taking the hit on the loans vs losing the tax breaks was still financially beneficial for us. It's really going to hurt these next 4 years until my forgiveness kicks in but in the end I won't even come close to paying it all back so I feel very grateful for that. 
  • @JJMNO1616 wow! Looks like I'll be needing to do a little more research before I make that final step.  Thanks for the info!
  • I heard about the sexual misconduct thing, but I am in a FB group for people with SoFi loans and haven't really seen anything negative about their servicing or anything like that.  I had my federal loans (consolidated) in forebearance, but recently started paying on those.  I really want to refinance that, but know I would lose the IBR options, so have held off on that.
  • I heard about the sexual misconduct thing, but I am in a FB group for people with SoFi loans and haven't really seen anything negative about their servicing or anything like that.  I had my federal loans (consolidated) in forebearance, but recently started paying on those.  I really want to refinance that, but know I would lose the IBR options, so have held off on that.
    I would never ever under any circumstances refinance or consolidate federal student loans into a private loan but that is just me. I think there are better chances that in the future the government may give federal loan borrowers forgiveness/breaks on their loans vs a private bank ever would. A regular bank will make you pay those things back until the day you die! I think even the consolidation loans have a 20 or 25 year forgiveness period... not to say you would be paying them back that long (because I obviously don't know your personal financial situation) but you just never know what may happen.      
  • JJMNO1616 said:
    I heard about the sexual misconduct thing, but I am in a FB group for people with SoFi loans and haven't really seen anything negative about their servicing or anything like that.  I had my federal loans (consolidated) in forebearance, but recently started paying on those.  I really want to refinance that, but know I would lose the IBR options, so have held off on that.
    I would never ever under any circumstances refinance or consolidate federal student loans into a private loan but that is just me. I think there are better chances that in the future the government may give federal loan borrowers forgiveness/breaks on their loans vs a private bank ever would. A regular bank will make you pay those things back until the day you die! I think even the consolidation loans have a 20 or 25 year forgiveness period... not to say you would be paying them back that long (because I obviously don't know your personal financial situation) but you just never know what may happen.      
    That's why I haven't done it, but man I could get a way better interest rate.  I wish the govt would do some type of forgiveness, but doubt that will happen.  Even if they would lower the interest rate I would be happy.  
  • Am I the only one who has been able to post on mobil this whole time? Weird it impacted so many of you but I had no problem! 
  • JJMNO1616 said:
    Am I the only one who has been able to post on mobil this whole time? Weird it impacted so many of you but I had no problem! 
    I was able to - just once it wouldn’t let me. But no one else was talking so I didn’t have much to respond to  :D
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @JJMNO1616 Bump tech support told me it was only affecting Android users, and that I might be able to get around it by using Chrome on my phone (didn't work).  So for once, I phones win :p.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @frenchiekinplusone SAME. I have to watch it while also staring at my phone because if I give the show my entire attention, I will be a puddle on the floor. So many emotions! 
  • @frenchiekinplusone I'm watching it right now! Toby is awesome 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • @JJMNO1616 Bump tech support told me it was only affecting Android users, and that I might be able to get around it by using Chrome on my phone (didn't work).  So for once, I phones win :p.
    I have an android phone and a Mac laptop and neither were working for me.
    DH(27) + Me (27) = 1/14
    Baby #1: Aug. 2016
    Baby #2: April 1st, 2018
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• @ngolimento I have an iphone and nothing worked for me.  All I got from tech support was that they were working on a solution. 

• DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @sparklingdiamond oh no, all my good vibes and we'll wishes go to you and baby girl.  ((Hugs))
    BabyFetus Ticker