March 2018 Moms

GTKY - Halloween Edition

On a scale of 1-10 how "into" Halloween are you?

What was your favorite/best costume you wore as a kid?  As an adult?

Are you dressing up "the bump" this year?

Most important question: What is your favorite Halloween candy?

What is your favorite Horror (or Halloween) movie?

Me: 30 H: 30
Dx: PCOS
Married: June 2013
TTC#1: January 2015
BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
TTC#2: June 2017
BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18

Re: GTKY - Halloween Edition

• Loading the player...
  • On a scale of 1-10 how "into" Halloween are you?
    I am probably a 7. My Mom loved it too and our house was always decked out for Halloween. She even dressed up and had a cauldron boiling in the front yard. I loved it. 
    When I was a kid I had a Kiss mask that I wore for three years in a row. Apparently that was my favorite costume. I have no idea what I was thinking. I was pregnant in a house dress and curlers one year. My husband used my extensions from our wedding to create a magnificent mullet (like Joe Dirt). 
    I might. I am so busy right now with school, work, kids, home, and DH's hunting season. I am just excited that I got things decorated and that the kids have costumes. 
    I love candy corn and caramel apples. 
    That is difficult. I have a list that I usually watch around this time. It's mostly Harry Potter and Legend (with Tom Cruise). Hocus Pocus is also great and The Nightmare Before Christmas. I have never seen the traditional movies like Jason, Nightmare on Elm Street, or anything like that. 
  • stlbuckeye132stlbuckeye132 member
    edited October 2017
    Maybe a 4? I really love fall and pumpkin patches and carving and all that stuff, but I don't really care so much about Halloween itself anymore. I had fun with it as a kid though, and I do like passing out candy to the trick or treaters!

My dad always made our costumes, and they were always awesome! We normally picked ideas out of American Girl Magazine :lol: then he would make our visions come to life! My favorites were a strawberry and a peanut M&Ms wrapper... no particular reason why haha 

As an adult, I've only really dressed up once outside of college. MH and I were pumpkin pie--he wore a shirt with a pumpkin on it, I wore a shirt with 3.14 on it, and it was an epic fail. No one got it. I should've used the pi symbol instead of 3.14 because everyone kept asking what March 14th meant. We're both engineers though, so I thought it was nerdy and fabulous!

Nope. Still no bump to speak of, and we don't have any costume parties. I don't care enough to dress up for trick or treaters, but you better believe my dog will be in a costume!

It would be easier to tell you what candy I don't like because it's a much shorter list... I don't discriminate when it comes to sweet stuff!

I really haven't seen any of the "classic" Halloween movies, so I guess I'll go with It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown too!

ETA picture
  • @crossfitbabybump Caramel apple lollipops are so good!

@npkat That's a cute couple's costume!

@ShawnnaO I'd say caramel apples count!

I'd say about an 8. I'll dress up, eat candy, give out candy, decorate my cubicle and apartment, and anything else fun I can think of. I just won't go the scary route.

What was your favorite/best costume you wore as a kid?  As an adult? I absolutely loved the butterfly costume my dad made me when I was younger - I wore it until I accidentally tore the wings. My two most favorite costumes were a steampunk girl and a Geisha. The Geisha one was fun because I used my yukata that a friend bought for me in Japan.

Are you dressing up "the bump" this year? I had no plans to dress the bump, but generally I don't make up my mind until the weekend before. I might end up changing my mind.

Most important question: What is your favorite Halloween candy? I love the sweetart skulls and bones. When I was little the packages contained all parts of a skeleton, but now it's just skulls and bones. Either way they are a fun themed candy.

What is your favorite Horror (or Halloween) movie? Um...Hocus Pocus, Nightmare before Christmas, Casper....I like all the fun ones, I can't handle scary.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    **TW in Spoiler**
    https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/683816

BFP 6/30/16, MC 8/21/16
    BFP 05/04/17, 5/10/17 Emergency LAP due to ectopic. Right tube removed.

BFP 07/12/17, ECDD 03/25/18  -  Silver Orion Born 3/23/18
    BFP 09/30/19, EDD 06/11/20

• @SoraLk - and this time of year is the only time I can find them where I live so I stock up!!! lol
    probably a 9 or 10- I love all major holidays and always have the house appropriately decorated and I love making the house all "spooky" for Halloween (plus, if there's a cobweb in the corner? Eh it's now a Halloween decoration)
    My parents were really creative with my costumes as a kid and they were always home-made.  One year I was a Dalmatian, I wore a pair of white sweatpants and white zip up hoodie, my parents painted my face white and added black spots and my dad used black electrical tape and cut out tons of irregular shaped dots and stuck them all over me.  My parents also did the same thing with a black sweatsuit and glow in the dark tape and made me a skeleton.  I think my all time fave was a 50's girl where my mom made me a giant poodle skirt, complete with dog on the bottom.
    Nope, ever since I've had kids and taken them out trick-or-treating I've lost interest in getting in costume myself and instead just focus on making sure their costumes stay on!
    Reese's or Almond Joy, even though I don't like nuts I like the milk chocolate better than the dark chocolate of Mounds so I eat around the almond haha

Can't think of one favorite, if I'm in the mood any scary movie will do!

Eh, probably a 4. I love the candy and seeing the decorations and costumes, but I was never that into decorating or dressing up until maybe this year. We just moved into a small town, and before this I'd always lived in the country where there was no one around to see any decorations anyway. Right now I just don't have a lot of money yet to decorate everything, so I've only got a little bit of decorations up this year. 
    I think I would be more excited about dressing up for comic con than Halloween...

I remember these really horrible clown costumes my mom made one year for my brother and I, with the hoop in the middle so you looked roly-poly and had a rainbow afro wig... it was humiliating, and I think there's photo evidence somewhere with us looking really pissed. The best one was when we dressed up as cowboys. We had really cool stuff because my Dad was a western saddle/leather artisan. 
    I haven't really dressed up as an adult, but I will this year! (see next question!)
    I plan to come to work this year dressed as Jayne from Firefly. My mom knitted me the hat from the show, and I already have a bunch of Firefly t-shirts, cargo pants, and combat boots. 

Tootsie-rolls, especially the vanilla and the fruit versions of tootsie rolls. 

Not a big fan of the horror movies, but my favorite movies with "Halloween" themes is the Harry Potter series, 
    Maybe a 7 or 8? I LOOOOVE Halloween.

As a kid, probably dressing up as the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz. My mom even put a fake nose and chin on me! (She was very into Halloween when we were kids.) As an adult the one I'm most proud of was my costume as the "Bee Girl" from the Blind Melon video for "No Rain." A lot of people didn't know who I was but I made the costume myself (dyed fabric, sewed on sequins) and wore my old tap shoes to the bars.  :D

I might dress up for the kiddos in our neighborhood, but the party we'd planned on going to has been cancelled so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'd thought about being Ursula from The Little Mermaid but I'm not sure I want to go through all of that effort just for my neighborhood kids.

Probably Reese's pumpkins or Milky Way (fun size...not those mini ones!)

Oh man, I love Hocus Pocus as others have mentioned above, as well at The Nightmare Before Christmas. (I'm thinking about doing a NBC-themed costume for DH, myself, and the babe next year.) Horror movie-wise, I love classics like Halloween, The Exorcist, and Pet Sematary, as well as new stuff like The Conjuring. I am such a baby about scary movies but I LOVE being scared at the same time.