May 2018 Moms

Weird Regional Foods

Re: Weird Regional Foods

• @suchaglencoco we have them at a hipster restaurant here called Brooklyn's Backyard. There's also an Amish market down the road from me that sells cheese curds, and I want them
  • Loading the player...
  • @bjkay22 the sheetz around us carry pepperoni rolls! I've never tried them though

@suchaglencoco we can get fried cheese curds around here in some place (Maryland) but I remember seeing it in Wisconsin too. Though it's cheese, so not big shock there lol
    Angel Babies 1&2 2/14/09
    DS born 3/11
    Angel Baby 3 6/28/11                                                         9/5/17 BFP!!
    divorced October 2014                                                       9/6/17 hCG 88 progesterone 9.1 (prometrium started)
    Married DH 10/15     DH's DS born 6/09                            9/8/17 hCG 242!!!
    Not preventing since 11/15                                                 EDD 5/8/18        Adjusted 5/15/18
    TTC since 1/1/16                                                                9/27/17 we have a heart beat!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy TrackerBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • We use our cheese curds on Poutine here! But those fried ones look tasty too. Similar to mozzarella sticks I guess?
  • @bjkay22 I freaking love a good pepperoni roll.  There was a place when we lived in texas that had aaaamazing ones that I haven't found the like of since.
    November Siggy Challenge

• @thunderberry omg I love poutine  <3<3<3
  • ladystinson I don't know if that looks great or gross....
  • We use our cheese curds on Poutine here! But those fried ones look tasty too. Similar to mozzarella sticks I guess?
    In Toronto I once had breakfast poutine - fries with cheese curds, bacon, hollaindiase, and a soft egg.. it was amazing. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • @bumpemma that sounds delightfully decadent, yum!!
  • I was born in North Dakota. Anyone else out there use the term “hotdish”? It’s just a term for casserole. I was teased mercilessly for that term when we moved when I was a teenager.

Also, I’m dying for some cheese curds!
  • Our poutine place just closed!  I was so sad.  The breakfast poutine was the best thing ever.
    November Siggy Challenge

• @justsuzie which one? lol
    Angel Babies 1&2 2/14/09
    DS born 3/11
    Angel Baby 3 6/28/11                                                         9/5/17 BFP!!
    divorced October 2014                                                       9/6/17 hCG 88 progesterone 9.1 (prometrium started)
    Married DH 10/15     DH's DS born 6/09                            9/8/17 hCG 242!!!
    Not preventing since 11/15                                                 EDD 5/8/18        Adjusted 5/15/18
    TTC since 1/1/16                                                                9/27/17 we have a heart beat!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy TrackerBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I’m super grossed out and super hungry after reading this thread. 

When you people say chili and cinnamon rolls do you mean chili powder or like diced chile peppers or legit meat and bean chili? I can’t even picture what is happening here. 

But omg yes to fried cheese curds, poutine, and chili with Fritos! @bumpemma Toronto has the best poutine I’ve ever had (and such amazing concoctions!!) 
  • @Ceridwen21 meat and bean chili 
  • @Ceridwen21 meat and bean chili 
    I guess it’s on the same lines of cornbread and chili? And cinnamon in a chili isn’t a weird ingredient. I think I could get behind this. 
  • @suchaglencoco now I want the squeaky cheese from Tillamook.  
  • One more question for the cinnamon roll & chili people (am I obsessed with this or what?) - does the cinnamon roll have frosting on it?
  • One more question for the cinnamon roll & chili people (am I obsessed with this or what?) - does the cinnamon roll have frosting on it?
    Yep! It's glorious. Side note: I don't dip my cinnamon rolls directly into the chili (some people do, but most people I know don't).
    Yep! It's glorious. Side note: I don't dip my cinnamon rolls directly into the chili (some people do, but most people I know don't).
    So what do you do with it? Just alternate bites?
  • I'm resurrecting this because, well....I don't know.  It's fascinating.  I went to middle school and high school in Northwestern Iowa and have never heard of chili and cinnamon rolls.  I have seen people put salt on watermelon though, and it grosses me out.  I grew up and now live in south central PA/Pittsburgh and I was going to say scrapple, too.  It looks disgusting, I've never tried and never plan to.  Otherwise, I guess putting french fries on everything is a "thing" here in Pittsburgh, and I've never seen anyone eat the chipped ham BBQ sandwiches anywhere but here either.  You should have seen the look on the face of the deli person in Iowa the first time I went grocery shopping by myself and asked for chipped ham!  LOL  

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP June 2013- blighted ovum, D&C Aug 2013
    BFP Oct 2013- twins!  A&H born May 2014
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• @bumpemma Most of this thread is grossing me out, but your sad hot dog looks pretty tasty actually.
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • @sandbar517 I like salt on watermelon, but I rarely eat it that way.
  • @ivyvines6 people say it's really good, but it's just one of those combos that doesn't make sense to me, so I've never been brave enough to try it.  

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP June 2013- blighted ovum, D&C Aug 2013
    BFP Oct 2013- twins!  A&H born May 2014
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• Nope that sounds nasty
  • Nope I can't do the chili and cinnamon rolls together.
  • @Ceridwen77 pretty much. Or save it for desert.
  • @sandbar517 you have got to try salt on watermelon. It just fits so perfectly. I'm a salt lover so I even salt my green apples. I recommend trying that as well.
  • Who else has been contemplating trying cinnamon rolls and chili now?  I can't be the only one that's been thinking about it lol
    DH wants to try it. Unfortunately for him, I'm the one who cooks the chili and it sounds gross right now and I'm not making a big batch just for him.
  • MissusTexasMissusTexas member
    edited October 2017
    Who else has been contemplating trying cinnamon rolls and chili now?  I can't be the only one that's been thinking about it lol
    My grandma just showed up with cinnamon rolls... and I have a can of chili... I would just hate to waste a cinnamon roll! I'll try anything once, though. I'll update if I try it!

ETA: it sounds like drunk food.
  • Watermelon with feta cheese is good, as is prosciutto and melon, so I can understand the salt on watermelon. 
    Both of those sound amazing right now!
  • @Ceridwen77 you forgot the watermelon, feta AND mint.... best summer salad ever. and melon wrapped in prosciutto is amazing  <3<3<3

I mean I have had watermelon margaritas and thats kind of the same thing right?  :D
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Saratiff said:
    @Ceridwen77 you forgot the watermelon, feta AND mint.... best summer salad ever. and melon wrapped in prosciutto is amazing  <3<3<3

I mean I have had watermelon margaritas and thats kind of the same thing right?  :D
    Oh the mint was in my head...I just failed to type it. Thanks for filling in the blank :)
  • @MissusTexas I'd love to know!  I can kinda see it being good. Too bad I can't stand the smell of cooking meat or id try it.  I do love chili and cinnamon rolls are obviously life lol.  
    *Married 7/29/11
    BFP 10/2/13, EDD 6/3/14
    Gave birth to my beautiful son, Owen Robert on 6/4/14!
    BFP #2 8/28/15, EDD 5/5/16

• Our bbq joints around here serve Pittsburg sandwiches. Nothing like what you get in Pittsburg (ive been - LOVE the city), but they do have fries on them!