March 2018 Moms

STM+ Check-In 10.19

Remind us, how many kids you have and their ages!  Any milestones coming up?

How are you feeling?  How are you managing pregnancy as a STM+?

What plans do you have for adding to your family?  What do you need to buy or get done before March rolls around?

Rants/raves/questions:

GTKY: 
What is your best/favorite advice you got when you were a FTM?

Me: 30 H: 30
Dx: PCOS
Married: June 2013
TTC#1: January 2015
BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
TTC#2: June 2017
BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18

Re: STM+ Check-In 10.19

• Loading the player...
  • Remind us, how many kids you have and their ages!  Any milestones coming up? DD is 4 and DS turns 2 tomorrow!! We'll be potty training DS in the coming months, so we're just waiting for him to show signs of being ready...so far, it may be awhile...

How are you feeling?  How are you managing pregnancy as a STM+? I feel really good. If it weren't for first tri yuckiness, I'd say this has been a smooth pregnancy. I miss my kids like crazy right now because I'm working 70-80 hours a week. With that said, my team's season just ended today, so all I have are varsity practices and playoffs next week. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter! DH is great when he's solo, but my kids desperately miss having us all in the same place at the same time. They soak it up when I'm home, and they get way more emotional when we all depart for the day. I'm ready to work a normal schedule again!!

What plans do you have for adding to your family?  What do you need to buy or get done before March rolls around? This is our last planned addition, and we have "one of each" right now, so we're waiting to see what this will be, and then we need to thin out our lot rather than add to it. We will need to adjust for seasons a bit, but it won't be drastic. I don't think we'll buy anything major, thankfully!

Rants/raves/questions: Does anyone have tips for potty training boys? I feel a little clueless. DH is great when I provide insight and direction for stuff like this, but he's about as clueless as I am when it comes to the initial stages of PTing for a little guy. DD was super easy, and she was ready early. Obviously, we're waiting for him to be ready, too, but I'm curious if there are any great tips you have!

GTKY: 
    What is your best/favorite advice you got when you were a FTM? Sleep when the baby sleeps.  HAHA jk. That's not it. I didn't do that. I rested when I could, but I also stole time to soak my healing body in an epsom bath, and other times I used that time to "get ready" for the day so I could feel a bit more human. 

Best advice I received was to accept help when it works for you, and say no to "help" when it won't work for you. I've found that a lot of people want to do something when a baby arrives, but sometimes it creates more work for the mom than it does help. Accepting help is important, but just as important is knowing it's okay to say no and stay in your nursing tank and yoga pants cuddling your baby all day :wink:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @becausescience DD was way ahead of DS verbally, and I had to keep reminding myself that kids develop differently! It's hard as a mom to remember not to compare, but it makes such a difference. DH and I work hard to honor who they are and how they'll develop right for them. It's a great reminder! It sounds like your daughter is doing well and getting strong!

@gingermom15 I love narrating for our kids! I can tell it makes a huge difference! Your son is lucky to have you :smile:

• Remind us, how many kids you have and their ages!  Any milestones coming up?
    2 DDs 7 & 5, the 5 y/o may lose her first tooth soon but that just means I will have to come up with a new reason the tooth fairy didn't come because I suck at remembering.

I feel like I've been hit by a truck most days but life stops for no one I just suck it up as best I can and do what has to be done.  We don't do all the fun stuff we would usually be doing this time of year but there is always next year.

What plans do you have for adding to your family?  What do you need to buy or get done before March rolls around?
    Plans went out the window when I got my surprise BFP in June.  We have absolutely nothing at all, at some point we will have to get things ready but as of now we have one onsie that I bought while school shopping for the girls and that's it. Now that we are over the 20 week hump panic is starting to set in...we should prob hit target at some point.

Rants/raves/questions:
    I am not a happy pregnant woman and I would like for people to stop asking me how I feel or I may just start answering truthfully "old and constipated".

GTKY: 
    Go with your gut, your first instinct is usually best. Also, do not be afraid to take a timeout if you need one, as an army wife with my first two I did most of it on my own and every now and then I had to but I screaming baby safely in a crib and step outside for a minute or two so I didn't lose my mind.  A calm collected mom is much more likely to sooth a screaming baby.

Big Sisters 2/10 & 12/11
    Little Brother 3/1/18
  • @scoogy19 I distinctly remember a day when I was pregnant with DS (our second) when I sat and held DD, who was a bit older than yours is now, and I bawled like a weepy mess because I felt so sad she wasn't going to be my baby any more. It was such an odd feeling! I somehow felt sad that I was making her "grow up" but ultimately realized it was going to be amazing to see her have a sibling to share her life. I think your feelings are totally normal and common about wondering how that will go and being a little sad about it! It'll be amazing to see your son become a big brother! :smile:

• GTKY: 
    Go with your gut, your first instinct is usually best. Also, do not be afraid to take a timeout if you need one, as an army wife with my first two I did most of it on my own and every now and then I had to but I screaming baby safely in a crib and step outside for a minute or two so I didn't lose my mind.  A calm collected mom is much more likely to sooth a screaming baby.

I relate to this on a spiritual level. 
    P is 1. She just started walking! She’s ahead as far as speaking goes, and we’re all done breastfeeding, so I don’t think any more milestones for a while? 

Pregnancy wise, I’m great. Mommy wise, my little girl is getting so big and I’ve been very emotional about it lately. 

Oh god, honestly I don’t know. We just got news that we’re moving, but we don’t know where yet, and we don’t have a clear date yet. Right now it’s March 10th but since baby is due the 13th, that’s not gonna work, so we’re trying to get late January/early February. So figuring all that out needs to get done. 

Rants/raves/questions:
    Why won’t my kid eat anything other than peanut butter toast and pop tarts. Why. Whyyyyyyyy?

GTKY: 
    trust your gut. Like @Mass-girl-at-heart  said, being an army mom, I’m alone a lot so going with my own instincts is vital. Also, I wanted to strangle anyone who told me to sleep when baby sleeps. 
  • @becausescience my son didn't start walking until 14.5 months and there were no concerns with his physical milestones in general. Sounds like she's right on schedule :-) He also didn't start talking beyond babbling until much closer to 2 (except for a few easy words, but also not before 1.5 at all). Our pediatrician said both were in the normal range, and the normal range at that age is soooooo wide.

DS:
    Pregnant with #2: 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @Gingermom15 @mdfarmchick @LiveNLove44 @day38 Thanks for the support about DD!  It is much appreciated!  It is sooo hard not to compare her to other kids her age and to remember that all kids are different.  She's doing great in other areas, but the walking and talking is what everybody asks about at the year mark.
  • edited October 2017
    8 and 3, milestones— we are hitting half birthdays! 

Feeling good other than aches (hips/pelvis aaaaand headaches). I’m keeping up with the kids during the day far better now than I was several weeks ago, but by about 5 pm I hit a wall and it’s all up to Dad for the most part. 

We need to start thinking about working on the nursery. PGAL is keeping me from that. We have to get the carpet ripped out, paint, lay new carpet, etc. I wish there were sibling classes around here, but there aren’t any that I’m aware of, maybe I’ll look into a book. 

Rants/raves/questions:
    Both kids are loving the growing belly and trying to feel her move, silly baby stops every time they try though! DH hasn’t even felt her, she’s a trickster. 

GTKY: 
    It’s my baby, as long as I’m looking out for his/her best interest don’t let others sway me into doing something or believing in something that I don’t want to (I have a friend or two that are very anti-vax and have tried to make me feel bad that I vax).

Edited because spelling is hard. 
  • STMs+: Talk to me about Christmas trees with a 15ish month old.  Should I just skip it this year? (We're not super "into" Christmas.)  Put up a baby-gate fortress around it?  No ornaments on the bottom?  
  • Sorry for being so inconsistent with posting on this thread. I want to become more active I just struggle to keep up!

1 DS - almost 2.5 - we will be moving from the toddler bed to a twin bed after Christmas. Still working on 2 year molars. Potty trained but still not for naps/nights. 

I'm definitely feeling better in the morning sickness department, thankfully. But my round ligament pain is really increasing lately. And I'm in tears some days from lower back pain. It's actually stressing me out because at only 17+5 I keep wondering how I'm going to possibly manage with DS when I'm 30+ weeks. 

DS will need to transition to the other bedroom so his can be turned back into a nursery. It's slightly bigger so easier to fit crib, change table, glider, etc. We will do this after Christmas. We don't have a lot to buy - although I do want a new swing and exersaucer. Otherwise my main priority is going to be prepping freezer meals. I had 35+ when DS was born and it was so unbelievably helpful!!!

Rants/raves/questions:
    DS has started kissing my tummy and saying goodnight to the baby before bed and it's the sweetest thing ever!! 

GTKY: 
    I don't know if it was really advice or just something I learned, but admitting that I had PPD to myself and saying it outloud made all the difference in the world. I didn't end up needing medication, but just being able to talk about it and openly say "I think I have PPD" gave me a boost of self reassurance and helped me to overcome that obstacle. I'm definitely going to try to be more self aware about that this time around and identify earlier if I have these feelings. 
  • @LiveNLove44, not sure what method you used to potty train your DD. But I read the book Oh Crap Potty Training for DS and followed that method. He did very well. He was about 25.5 months when we started. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
  • @becausescience my son never bothered the tree last year, surprisingly. He was 13 months last Christmas, as well. He is much more curious this year. We have a baby gate pin we plan to put around the tree to keep him and the dogs out of it. 
    Though he was obsessed with putting things into the tree, pens, pencils, dog food, miscellaneous items. He never tried to pull it down or take things off. She might surprise you!
  • @becausescience Our kids never messed with ours much. If they did we just moved a few ornaments up and they were over it. Apparently the ornaments are the only thing that attracted mine to the tree.  :D
    I have a 2 year old son. We are trying to potty train. Some days he shows interest, most days you ask him to use the potty and he says no.
    I’m feeling so much better lately. I can honestly say I didn’t feel like the best mom for a couple months between being sick and exhausted. Now that I have energy I feel like things are going well.
    We have to clean out our spare room and turn it into the nursery. We also have to buy another crib. We have a convertible crib for my son and we plan to convert it into a full size bed for him. So we were just going to get a convertible crib and dresser set for the new baby and just do the same thing later on in the hopes we don’t have to buy new bedroom furniture for a while. We should also get a double stroller but I honestly have no idea what I want.
    Rants/raves/questions:
    We’re having a little girl. Is there anything different that I need this time around?
    GTKY: 
    It’s okay to tell people they can’t come visit. We had a lot of people visit the first couple weeks after my son was born and I felt over whelmed trying to adjust as a new mom and entertain people.
  • @becausescience DS was 17/18 months last Christmas. Honestly, I put the breakable ornaments at the top and he was fine. He liked the lights on at night but never really messed with it. I think the more attention you draw to it being forbidden—baby gates, huge boxes, etc. the more they want it. Haha. But maybe I’m just lucky?
  • @LiveNLove44 thank you so much for sharing that! That's exactly how I feel <3 but I know the day this baby gets here I'll never look back.
    DD 4.5 and DD 2.5. I just finished potty training my youngest. WOOHOO! 

Ugh this week has kicked my ass. I don’t know why and it makes me want to cry to think about feeling like this for another 22 weeks. I’m hoping that it was the potty training that did me in and that next week will be a little better!

We need to figure out where we’ll be when baby #3 comes before we can make any big plans. We’re waiting on the Army to let us know the next step in my husbands career so we haven’t been able to do much until then. If we end up leaving HI before she gets here, we’ll wait on nursery furniture until we get to the mainland. If we’re still here, we’ll get my oldest new bedroom stuff and pass down the baby stuff. But we still have a while to figure all of that out! 

Rants/raves/questions:
    none...for now

GTKY: 
    Start baby on a routine early on. It has been a lifesaver with both girls. 
    2 kids- DD is 5, DS is 2, milestones are DD turning 6 right after Christmas (she's already picked her party theme and we've started buying plates, napkins, etc so it feels sooner haha)
    I'm feeling extra tired.  I don't remember feeling this way when pregnant with DS even though I had DD but she was older then than he is now and more self sufficient.  She also wasn't climbing on everything and constantly in motion.  Or it could just be that I'm 2 years older and I have 2 kids, who knows!
    A lot!  We have a 3 bedroom house so 2 kids will be sharing a room.  We're waiting on our a/s to find out the sex of this new baby and then once we do, the 2 kids with the same sex will share the "bigger" bedroom, which is currently DD's bedroom, down the road.  For right now we need to buy bunk beds because DD and DS will be sharing a room once the baby starts to sleep in the crib. DS's room is still set up as a nursery (crib, changing table, etc) so we're just going to keep that the way it is for now and have the 2 older kids share a room for a few years until the baby can sleep in a big kid bed and then if we have to move rooms around, change paint colors, etc we can do that. 
    Rants/raves/questions:
    DS has started this new thing where he doesn't want to eat certain things, things he used to love!  He will literally go a whole day without eating much at any meal if he doesn't want it and it might be something that he ate the day before and then eats the next day.  I have no idea what's going on with him.
    GTKY: 

"Don't be afraid to ask for help" - as mom's and especially first time mom's a lot of us put the expectation on ourselves to just magically know what to do and while some things just do come naturally there are times everything can be overwhelming.  My own personal story- 3 days after DD was born (her 2nd day home) I was so tired and sore and overwhelmed by everything.  I finally broke down and asked my parents if they could watch her for a few hours so I could take a nap.  They were happy to oblige and even though I felt guilty asking at first those 2 hours did wonders.  After that I realized I had no reason to feel guilty for asking for help and the women in my friends and family were more than happy to offer their own tips and everyone enjoyed helping me out.

I have 3 other kids, a nearly 9 yr old, a 6 yr old and a nearly 3 yr old. 
    Our 6 yr old just started Kindergarten, so that has been fun. Our 3 yr old is finally interested in potty training. THANK GOD
    I am more tired than anything. Keeping up with work and the 3 kids who don't even have many activities is sometimes a mess. Pregnancy this time around has been more chill, but also I keep waiting for something to go wrong. I had miscarriages between each of the other kids, so part of me just expects the worst. 
    What plans do you have for adding to your family? 
    This is it. This shop is closed after this baby. 4 c-sections is enough for me.
     What do you need to buy or get done before March rolls around?

Well, we thought we were done last time.. Whoops so we need to get a few extras again since we gave everything away.
    I want to get a rock and play this time rather than a bouncer.
    And eventually a new/ new to us highchair.
    Oh, and we need a baby tub or something for those first few months.
    Otherwise its been a lot of awkward phone calls to sister in laws and neighbors.. to see if we can borrow the items we gave them.
    Rants/raves/questions:
    No real rants or raves.. Just trying to survive the next 22-24 weeks
    GTKY: 
    Trust yourself. Instincts are a powerful ally and will serve you well. The best books in the world won't mean crap if you don't trust yourself enough to know that you GOT THIS! If I haven't messed up the 3 I have.. then anyone else is capable of doing a great job of being a mom.

• @becausescience meanwhile my daughter is eating pizza for the second meal in a row because at least she’s eating and I don’t have the energy to struggle with anything else  :# I’ll be stealing this idea though! 
  • @becausescience a serving size is approximately a tablespoon per year of age. If she eats that much of a vegetable then you’re doing great! Some days she may eat more or less, but keep in mind she may not need much at all. 
    Stir fried and roasted veggies are usually a no fail for us. Lightly seasoned with a little olive oil and cooked until soft and my son loves them. Carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans and mushrooms are his favorite this way. He doesn’t like steamed veggies at all, but tbh I don’t blame it. I like flavor in my foods lol. Roasted green beans and carrots served like French fries are another hit. It just takes time to play around with recipes and veggies to find what they like
  • That being said, I don’t stress if he doesn’t get his full servings of fruit and veggies. I keep the vegetables he likes on hand and offer them with every meal, sometimes he eats them all and sometimes he doesn’t touch them. The important thing is to be consistent with making and offering to give exposure to healthy meals. Some nights my son will eat two microwaved chicken nuggets for dinner, other nights he will eat everything but the kitchen sink 
    I have one a 2 year old boy

I am much more exhausted this time around. Not sure if it's my job/commute and chasing around a toddler or if this baby is just kicking my butt!

We will most likely be moving next summer, so I need to try to make our 2 bedroom space work for us for a few months. Also, need to see what I need to buy that we borrowed or is worn out from our first LO

Rants/raves/questions:
    It's so nice to hear im not the only one struggling a bit with food for my toddler. He used to eat everything & now he won't touch meat and fruit & veggies are extremely difficult. 

GTKY: 
    Don't listen to what everyone tells you or try's to push on you. Trust your gut and ask for help when needed. Your baby thinks you are the greatest thing in the world and that's all that matters. 

• @kbiala same on the exhaustion front....i do not remember this from the last go around. I've been passing out every night basically right after i put #1 to sleep. LO & I finally went to a movie for date night and I passed out right after opening credits 
  • So I got both kids to eat a fair amount of spinach last night so I'm feeling good!  I made a spinach "pie" (more of a quiche really) but there was a bunch of cheese in it too so they both really enjoyed it.  I figured they got a lot of veggies and dairy so I'm counting that as a win :D