April 2018 Moms
Options

Weight gain, or lack thereof

Am i the only one who has not gained a pound thus far??? I am 14 weeks but baby measures a week ahead so is growing nicely, i just haven't put any weight on yet it seems odd. I actually lost a few pounds in the beginning and am still down like 5-6 lbs from that. Morning sickness is no joke

Re: Weight gain, or lack thereof

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Its not that unusual. If you look at weight gain recommendations, first trimester is like 1-5 lbs at most and plenty of people lose weight. You generally put on weight once baby starts putting on weight and morning sickness wears off which isn't until second tri really gets going. I've gained maybe 1-2 lbs at 14 weeks and started at only 100lbs. My OB isn't concerned. I had no issues putting on over 40lbs each with my last 2 babies by the end. If your morning sickness is letting up, you will likely see it soon. Also weight gain recommendations vary a lot based on if you are overweight or underweight to begin with. If you are only going to gain 15 lbs total over a 40 week pregnancy it makes perfect sense that you wouldn't put much on early. Bottom line, if your doctor isn't concerned, you shouldn't be either.
  • Options
    Up nearly ten pounds. Be glad you haven’t gained much yet! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I haven't either, but I'm overweight to begin with so it's a good thing. I'm sure it will catch up with me soon enough!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I am at 15 weeks today and haven't gained a pound either @sassygirl51486 - I'm sure a lot of weight gain is to come for us in the future :) Do any of you have the book "The Mama Natural Week-by-Week Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth"?? I highly recommend it - she does these (somewhat hokey but I love 'em) pregnancy affirmations, and one of them is "My baby is healthy and well. Everything is going exactly as it should." Try not to stress over what we're told should and should not happen because all of our bodies are different and beautiful and powerful and creating life! 
  • Options
    I lost 5 lbs in the first trimester - I'm also 14 weeks with a baby measuring a week ahead. My dr doesn't care and I know I'll catch up. They didn't mention weight to me at all my first pregnancy besides the whole "don't gain more than 15-25 lbs" thing they say in the beginning. Everyone is different.
  • Options
    Be Glad!!! That is all.
  • Options
    @kaymaroo i agree; i think it was meant to be innocent. That being said it did strike a nerve for me. I have body image issues and my weight gain (also 10 lbs at 14w) has been tough to swallow.

I'm off to have my own pity party w cookies...bc that's all that sounds good and I'm tired of choking down salads.  :)
    This is exactly my point. Weight can be a huge trigger for a lot of people and that's why I personally believe the subject needs to be handled with care. This post is such a poor way to go about the conversation. 
  • Options
    I don't think she intended that either, @kaymaroo, and talking about weight gain doesn't bother me either (as long as it's done constructively, as you said). I just found this post to be, as @kmalls, said more like a humblebrag type thing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    @lindsye @kmalls That may be. I don't know this poster so I don't know what her intentions were. I guess I took this post more as a place to talk about this issue, and not just pertaining to the person who started it. I'd actually been thinking about starting a weight post for awhile now since it's so heavy on my mind, but wasn't sure how it would be received.

Maybe it's a UO but I don't worry too much about whether a single poster is AWing or humblebragging. If it's something I want to talk about I'll jump in anyway, and if not then it's no skin off my nose.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @beach_mama Please try not to be hard on yourself! Every single person gains differently during pregnancy and as long as LO is doing okay (which I'm sure is the case!) then there's really nothing to worry about. I gained 40lb with DS and he and I were both healthy and I did lose (most of) the weight eventually. This pregnancy my weight gain pattern is different so far, but that doesn't mean this pregnancy is any more or less healthy than my first.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @ngolimento It's definitely not NBD to me as I have also battled an eating disorder. I'm in a better place with it now but I am worried about pregnancy bringing those anxieties up again, especially with my doctor's focus on weight gain. That's the reason I haven't started one after all, but when this one popped up I wasn't upset to see it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm sorry if this rubbed anyone the wrong way, that wasn't my intension at all. I was legitimately concerned (slightly) and frankly a bit wierded out over not having gained anything by this point. I am in no way trying to brag because the last thing i am is "skinny." In fact it's strange to me how much i'm showing considering there has been zero weight gain. I guess everything is just shifting...The changes in my body have been crazy yet i just keep weighing myself and it stays the same. Also my doctor as well as the nurse acted surprised at my last checkup, which had me question it
  • Options
    ngolimentongolimento member
    edited October 2017
    kaymaroo said:
    @ngolimento It's definitely not NBD to me as I have also battled an eating disorder. I'm in a better place with it now but I am worried about pregnancy bringing those anxieties up again, especially with my doctor's focus on weight gain. That's the reason I haven't started one after all, but when this one popped up I wasn't upset to see it.
    I'm sorry you are having to worry about this.  Pregnancy and motherhood has definitely been hard on me that way too.  Is there a support network in place for you?  And can you let your doctor know about your past so they can tread carefully?  My OB knows about it and doesn't even talk numbers with me.  She just tells me if I need to eat more greens or if I am on track, which I am deeply grateful for.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @sassygirl51486 its cool honestly I didn't think a weight discussion seemed inappropriate personally. A little early but not inappropriate. I guess its good to see how others feel about the discussion so now going forward people can be more sensitive about it and post a trigger warning. I get it my last Dr was really on me about my weight and it was a constant worry. I mean I knew it was possible you were humble bragging lol but knew you may be posting innocently as well. But I wouldn't worry as long as baby is growing well you're good!
  • Options
    lindsye said:
    @ngolimento and we have the poster whose son had a foot-sized scrotum! Sounds like we have some remarkable April '18 babies. (Said both in jest and sincerely, because I'm sure your DD really will be Mensa material).
    Haahahaha!  Oh snap I forgot about the massive scrotum.  Man, that beats us all, I guess we need to take a collective seat.

How did I miss the scrotum post?! 
  • Options
    It's called "Alberta pregnancy" and I just bumped it, @angiek1. And seeing it again reminded me of how awesome it is.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    @danjoly I definitely agree in the grand scheme of things its irrevelent because we are so different etc. But that's how I feel 3rd pregnancy.  My first and second it was more of a concern. But it didn't help my Dr was more on me about it too. So in that way I feel like it is appropriate for some women to discuss if it's a concern and especially if their Dr is on them about it. OP even says her Dr and nurse brought it up already and were surprised she hasn't gained. I have since changed Doctors and its been great! I should of switched and lost the weight concern a long time ago. 
  • Options
    The dr and nurse both acted a little surprised at my last appt (12w) that I was down even further in weight too. I didn’t have any morning sickness, but after thinking about their reactions I realized that I really hadn’t had much of an appetite. I was eating 3 meals a day, but not finishing any. My appetite seems to be returning (yay!) so I’m thinking I’ll be up a little by my 16w appt next week. I lost about 10 pounds in the first trimester with my first 2, and about 20 pounds this time with baby 3. I think you’ll be fine! Things will pick up later in the second tri, and definitely in the third!