Me: 33 DH: 32
Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
Started TTC August 2016
BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
BFP: 2/27/20

Re: Questions - Week of 10/15

• Has anyone else randomly developed allergies for the first time in their life?  I apparently have.  I spend most of my day sneezing like crazy, and leaking like Niagra falls.  It's awful.  No wonder people with allergies are grouchy with seasonal changes.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Has anyone else randomly developed allergies for the first time in their life?  I apparently have.  I spend most of my day sneezing like crazy, and leaking like Niagra falls.  It's awful.  No wonder people with allergies are grouchy with seasonal changes.
    YAS fml... I thought maybe it was because this is my first year living in Texas and with the hurricane allergies seem to be real bad here for a lot of people. But then someone else told me they never had allergies in their life until they were pregnant so I'm wondering if that's what I'm experiencing. It sucks!!
  • Loading the player...
  • @ngolimento, kind of. I'm fine in my home area, but if I travel some distance where they have different plants they will flare up. Missouri has something awful that swells my eyes shut. Never going there again. 
    DH(27) + Me (27) = 1/14
    Baby #1: Aug. 2016
    Baby #2: April 1st, 2018
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• hedgepighedgepig member
    edited October 2017
    @ngolimento I've had spring allergies since I was a kid, but this is the first year that I've had fall allergies too! They aren't bad, but.definitely there. And yep, blaming the pregnancy :)
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• Anyone else working on making room for your new family member in small homes? Our house is pretty darned small, and, to make it worse it is very, very awkwardly shaped (and we, uh, *may* have too much stuff). I'm looking for tips on squeezing a baby into the house when you don't have a dedicated room/nursery for the baby. 
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• Yes @hedgepig!! I was just talking this morning about how DS birthday is coming up and I'm afraid of the toys we may get as presents in addition to all the stuff we already have. We have a 2 bedroom with a 3rd "bedroom" at the top of the stairs. I think we are going to put baby in that space for now. There's like an alcove that the crib will fit in at the top of the stairs. Either that or I'm going to have to say goodbye to my shoe rack and put the baby in our room.  
  • @kmalls Thanks for that suggestion - we have a "room" that's around the corner from the kitchen/living room where I'm planning on putting baby stuff, because it's dark and quiet(er), but there are no doors in our house, so a white noise machine will probably be a lifesaver. We're off grid, so I will have to see if I can find one that runs on batteries for when our power system is off or low.
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• @hedgepig When we bought our house it was a one bedroom, one bath walk out ranch. When we remodeled the house our kiddos lived in the office. We put an accordion door up where there was a big opening to drown out the sound. It seemed to work pretty well. 

For this little one we are converting our dining room into a nursery since we never use that room. DH is going to do all of the work and we think it'll only cost us about $1,000 for materials (luckily labor is free). 
  • hedgepighedgepig member
    edited October 2017
    @angiek1 Sounds a little like our situation. We live in an old hippie cabin that's been added on to several times in several different, awkward ways. My dad and husband are carpenters, so they're working on making it make more sense and haveore use able space. They added on two rooms last year (that we're just now doing interior finish work on) so that we can have a living/dining room. This year we got a laundry room. The plan is to add on a substantial addition in 3 or 4 years, which will include a normal sized bedroom for us (with closets!) and a kids bedroom, but we have to save the money first :)
    Edit: Good luck with your project - free labor is the best!
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• @ngolimento sounds like pregnancy rhinitis! Lucky you. I've had rhinitis before and it's awful. FWIW benadryl is on my OB's safe medication list.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22826069

• @ngolimento it seems every spring and fall i'm congested.  Didn't use to be, just hit when I got in my mid-twenties.  

Agree with @kmalls on getting a white noise sound machine 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Glider vs rocker—what are you guys using? With our first, I got this rocking chair, and hated it. Its really hard to sit down with baby without carefully positioning yourself to not slide forward. I’ve been wondering if this is a problem with my particular chair or with rocking chairs in general. I definitely am going to switch chairs but want to be more informed this time around!
  • Dumbgurl04Dumbgurl04 member
    edited October 2017
    @rmmorris We had a glider and I love it!  It was comfortable and great for the late night feedings.  I did try sitting in a few rockers like the one you have cause I liked how wide they were. The one we got was nice because the arms felt higher so I didn't need to get a pillow to prop my arm up, which I feel I would have had to prop my arm up if I got the other rocker. 

*edited to tag

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • @Dumbgurl04 good point about the arm height. I’m now having flashbacks of my husband trying (and usually failing) to adjust the pillow under his arm without waking the baby.
  • kmallskmalls member
    edited October 2017
    @rmmorris I'm team glider all the way. We have one in each kid's room and they're glorious. Get one that comes with a gliding foot stool and your body will thank you. 

ETA: we looked for gliders with slightly higher backs because my husband is in the taller side. He likes to rest his head and not all gliders could accommodate that. 
  • @rmmorris - I'm also team glider. Make sure it has a foot rest. I had times where I would sleep in the glider and the foot rest was key for ultimate comfort. 

My question - I'm having horrible neck cramping. I slept on it wrong a few weeks ago and it just won't seem to heal all the way. I'm looking to get a new pillow system. Currently I have like 3 down pillows. I've heard people swear by this MyPillow gimmick. I'm thinking about caving and buying the damn thing, but it is SO expensive. Has anyone bought a My Pillow?
  • angiek1 My husband bought a my pillow and LOVES it, seems to have helped a little bit.
  • @rmmorris That chair looks beautiful! Hopefully you can still put it somewhere nice in your house to get some use out of it either way. I have also been struggling to decide what type of chair to get.  

• On the glider vs. rocker topic, does anyone here get motion sickness?  I can't sit on porch swings or rocking chairs without feeling woozy.  I'm hoping that a glider will be different.
  • Also, in regard to glider vs rocker, some of us get really lucky and have high-needs babies who need up and down motion to soothe - the back and forth motion of a swing or a glider just doesn't have the same effect. For me personally, I have spent countless hours bouncing fussy, colic-y babies on an exercise ball because it was literally the only thing that would calm them. I'm sure this is a minority of babies, but just FYI... my glider got no use.  :'(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Second the exercise ball @lindsye! First my water broke when using it which was great because I was going to have to be induced if I went another couple of days. And my high needs baby also loved to be bounced on it. 

I bought a glider with DS and it’s beautiful and comfortable but honestly I rarely used it and it wasn’t cheap. Hopefully it gets some use with this baby. 
  • +1 to the exercise ball. Towards the end of my pregnancy it was the only thing that I sat on, then when baby was born it was the only thing that soothed her.
  • @rmmorris - great question! I thought I had a plan but will get more opinions.
     I was planning on getting a rocker recliner, so when there are sick babies, DH & I could hold them more upright and still get some sleep with the recliner kicked back. Anyone had luck with that?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • lindsye said:
    Also, in regard to glider vs rocker, some of us get really lucky and have high-needs babies who need up and down motion to soothe - the back and forth motion of a swing or a glider just doesn't have the same effect. For me personally, I have spent countless hours bouncing fussy, colic-y babies on an exercise ball because it was literally the only thing that would calm them. I'm sure this is a minority of babies, but just FYI... my glider got no use.  :'(
    Girl, preach.  I spent so many countless hours jostling my colicky girl.  Another move that worked is what we called "stirring the baby". We essentially moved her like a big ladle in a pot while keeping her bottom stationary.  I don't know if it stopped her crying because it helped her, or if she was too busy going "wtf is this?" To cry.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @g_amoss We did that with my daughter by piling pillows behind us on the couch.  A word of warning though: most infant injuries are caused by couch-related accidents.  We mitigated the risk of falling asleep with her by baby wearing her while reclining.  It was super snuggly and lots of safe sleep was gained.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • ngolimento said:

I don't know if it stopped her crying because it helped her, or if she was too busy going "wtf is this?" To cry.
    A huge LOL to this! I'll still be googling it and giving it a try, though - colic is no joke.  :#
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @keeksie84 Me!! When we went shopping for a glider or rocker for DDs nursery, I got severe motion sickness in every chair I tried so we ended up ordering a really pretty recliner. It worked out really well. I could comfortably snooze in it when I needed to. We will probably do the same thing this time. 

Me (33). DH (37). DD (2.2012). MCs x4. After 4 years & 7 months, due 4.2018!

• We did rocker recliner for the first two. Not ideal but it worked  I got a glider for this one. 
  • @rmmorris. I have been advised to invest in a glider because a rocker can get super uncomfortable after awhile...  pery SIL and her BFF who both just had babies. 
  • Has anyone had crazy cravings yet? I know we shouldn't have too many greasy foods, but my diet has been horrible lately and that seems to be what I've been wanting most. I'm trying to be good though. 
  • @dccroc01 I want cereal all the time. Currently eating a bowl of honey bunches of oat. Cold, crispy, slightly sweet. I have cereal for supper a few times a week. 
    DH(27) + Me (27) = 1/14
    Baby #1: Aug. 2016
    Baby #2: April 1st, 2018
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• @dccroc01 YES! Anything that I ate as a kid. Chicken nuggets all day! I've only given in a few time but the struggle is real.
  • Funny about the allergies. Mine have mostly gone away from this pregnancy!

im also team glider! Have you guys tried a Mamaroo? It’s pretty awesome for the three dimensional motion. My kid was indifferent about it, but it might help some of you on team exercise ball. 
    Married: May 26, 2012
    Eden: February 8, 2016
    Ivy: April 3, 2018
    Baby 3.0: Due September 26, 2020
  • I always have allergies, and I'm a native Texan. I'm completely convinced they get worse with every pregnancy though!

We have a glider and it worked great for DD2, but DD1 was a solid exercise ball gal too. Those poor tiny tummies. 
  • Has anyone else noticed that they tend to get really bad tastes in their mouth after eating/drinking? Idk why but recently it seems like the taste of food/drinks linger for a really long time. 
  • Anyone considering budget friendly strategies i.e. cloth diapering?? Hoping to save some $$ and cut down on my work hours to eliminate need for daycare of multiples...
  • JJMNO1616 said:
    Has anyone else noticed that they tend to get really bad tastes in their mouth after eating/drinking? Idk why but recently it seems like the taste of food/drinks linger for a really long time. 
    @JJMNO1616 yes! I actually posted this in the symptoms thread a while ago. It's so gross! I've noticed it's getting a lot better, but the aftertaste of certain food (especially anything with sodium, like soup) is so disgusting and lasts for hours. So gross. 
  • anyone else already getting leg cramps?  The last two nights have been awful in my calves and feet, like wake up from a dead sleep terrible!  I don't remember them happening as early last pregnancy.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • kmalls said:
    JJMNO1616 said:
    Has anyone else noticed that they tend to get really bad tastes in their mouth after eating/drinking? Idk why but recently it seems like the taste of food/drinks linger for a really long time. 
    @JJMNO1616 yes! I actually posted this in the symptoms thread a while ago. It's so gross! I've noticed it's getting a lot better, but the aftertaste of certain food (especially anything with sodium, like soup) is so disgusting and lasts for hours. So gross. 
    I have noticed it so far with Juice, Sprite, and dried fruit. The taste after is so horrible.