June 2018 Moms

Minimalist Moms

Are there any other minimalist moms in here?
I'd love to keep in contact with other moms who are into minimalism.
Or just simple living and parenting?
Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
MC in February 2017
MC in November 2017
Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Minimalist Moms

• I've been getting into minimalism/unbusyness this year and it's really helped my emotional reliance on shopping and spending, plus it's been getting my house in order! I'm really glad I didn't purge any of our baby stuff, however. I'm aiming for only having to buy a co-sleeper/bassinet thing and an extra car seat. We live in a small-ish home with 1 bed/1 bath and clutter makes me depressed, so I'm dedicated to growing our family but not our stuff. 
    Nov Sig Chall

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • basemodel said:
    I've been getting into minimalism/unbusyness this year and it's really helped my emotional reliance on shopping and spending, plus it's been getting my house in order! I'm really glad I didn't purge any of our baby stuff, however. I'm aiming for only having to buy a co-sleeper/bassinet thing and an extra car seat. We live in a small-ish home with 1 bed/1 bath and clutter makes me depressed, so I'm dedicated to growing our family but not our stuff. 
    Looks like we are due on the same day too! 6/10.
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I try to be! I am also frugal and very eco-conscious. Would love all the tips! 
  • Very in to minimalism here. We purged a lot this last year. I especially have become with parenting because dd loves wooden spoons and bowls more than most $100 toys we give her. We tend to keep very few toys out for her and try to encourage play with practical items around the house!
  • Yes over here too! After becoming pregnant first time around we really got into minimalism 
  • I'm a wannabe minimalist. I went through my whole house top to bottom over the last year and purged a A LOT of stuff. My youngest is 7 years old so this will be my first baby without a lot of things. Like PP said, my kids always enjoyed wooden spoons more than toys! I would like to have a lesser amount of high quality wooden toys rather than a lot of plastic junky toys. If only I could get my MIL to stop buying my kids useless crap! I would love any minimalist baby tips you ladies have to offer!
  • Since we live in a location that is difficult at best for the grandparents to send things.. I have a standing list they are allowed to purchase items from and send.. And I have been very clear that anything that deviates from said list will be donated elsewhere. They now only send clothes (as long as it's on the list, I even have quantities and notify them when we've reached the small number (like 2 shorts, 5 t-shirts, 2 skirts, etc) ), art supplies (pencils, crayons, paint.) and books. It took them one shipment each to get that I wasn't kidding.. And now they just don't send the crap anymore. I started this protocol last year after a relatively horrid pile of garbage over the winter holidays. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Yay minimalism! Alas my kids are attached to colorful plastic toys.@kazzle14, pretty storage bins help. Also doing a toy rotation.

For you minimalists, what are your essentials for the first year? What do you find unnecessary? My first list got pretty long as I thought about it...

Essentials:
    Pack n play with bassinet.
    Swaddle blankets.
    Boobs. ☺
    Solid colored clothes so making outfits is easy.
    Cloth diapers.
    Disposables for night time and travel.
    Wipes.
    Wet bags and diaper pails.
    Tide powder detergent.
    Pump or formula and bottles.
    Ergo.
    Car seat.
    Stroller.
    Baby bath tub.
    Bath seat for 5 mos+
    Crib, mattress, pad, sheets.
    Changing pad on dresser.
    Infant Tylenol and Motrin.
    Saline spray and Nose Frida.
    A and D for any rash.
    Swim diapers.
    Exersaucer (for crawler containment)
    Baby gates
    Cabinet/drawer locks
    Sippy cups.
    High chair.

Not essential:
    Baby monitor
    Nursing bras/tops
    Special baby soap (castille soap works great and can be used for other purposes around the home.)
  • I'm quite frugal and am working more on minimizing everyday. We combined 2 households a couple of years ago and just moved to another state (last week). So we've had lots of opportunities to purge. I love Marie Konde. Get rid of things that don't bring you joy!  I'm not planning on having a crib/nursery, but we'll see what DH thinks. 
  • I by and large agree with your list, @llamamama14, and many things will/won't be essential just based on lifestyle and personal preference/baby's preference. For me, I wore my son in a wrap until he started running so I've hardly ever used our stroller--but a baby backpack with a leash was a must. I also never used our baby bathtub because he hated it and just wanted to sit in my lap instead. I was able to get away without a swim diaper the first year by using one of his cloth diaper covers without the prefold and snapping it snug (this was more about me being laid off at the time than actual preference). I cannot agree more on solid color outfits--and this time, NO WHITE. OMG the stains.
    Nov Sig Chall

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Every baby is different so I do believe some essentials to one person can be the complete opposite of essential to another. I don't believe there is a right or wrong way to minimalism. 

Personally my essentials for baby has always been:
    -diapers
    -wipes
    -baby soap
    -stroller (I have a double stroller that has been my life)
    -my pump (and boob pads for leakage)
    -some bottles
    -butt soothing ointment
    -some clothes
    -baby carrier/wrap (I have not been a baby wearer! But plan on starting with this baby #3)
    -swing (my babies have always loved a swing. But seriously who knows if this baby is going to like it. It's a hit or miss)
    -some type of bed (crib, bassinet, or whatever)

MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ugh, yes. White shirts get so nasty. 

I buy all white baby socks, though, so they match everything and I don't have to match pairs. 

• I generally agree about the short list of necessities, but I would add a rock n play. All babies are different, but it was the only thing dd would let us put her down in. Otherwise she had to be held/worn. 
  • I want to move more minimalist in the coming months before baby. We do pretty good about toys (and I’ve started asking for very specific things from family for gifts). I’m planning on making a purging list to cut away at during my pregnancy. Our house is pretty small so we are going to be cozy when baby comes (3 bed 1.5 bath, 2 adults and soon to be 3 kids.)

I’ve found my youngest never really played with baby toys, just DS1s bigger kid toys. So that makes me rethink what we need for baby #3

i just don’t want our stuff to add to the stress of our life. 
    H. Foxe born October 22, 2013
  • @Court11152325 a rock n play was essential for me with DS. Then DD had torticollis so I was told I had to stop using the RNP and only lay her flat so her head would turn and stretch her neck. I had to figure out a different system for places to put her down around the house. Undecided if I'll use the RNP with this bean. I kept it off the list because I figured I know I can do without it from a minimalist perspective. :)
  • Love the auto rock n play! Gotta have the auto, in my experience
  • As a mom to a toddler (almost 2 years old), I have been gravitating towards minimalism more and more. There's just SO MUCH BABY STUFF. We received a lot of hand me down clothes/blankets/toys/sippy cups/etc, which is fantastic, but it's also just wonky how much there is. I've been paring things down, and my goal is to continue to do so through the whole house as we prepare for baby #2.