June 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Strollers Edition w/o Oct 16

doxiemoxie212doxiemoxie212 member
edited October 2017 in June 2018 Moms
This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... strollers! Jogging, all terrain, umbrella, you name it!

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs:
  • What's your primary terrain? (Urban, suburban, rural, etc.): 
  • Favorite [stroller]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [stroller] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [stroller]:

For FTMs:
  • What's your primary terrain? (Urban, suburban, rural, etc.): 
  • [Stroller[s)] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or view the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gjNtxy2Kd2JceTYYR5wkwVcpTbU-khgazhjcZnfI1y4/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Strollers Edition w/o Oct 16

• ChloandCocoChloandCoco member
    edited October 2017
    What's your primary terrain? Urban
    Favorite [stroller]: City Select by Baby Jogger
    Link/picture: 

Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): Around $500-$600 CAD
    What you like about it: I really like that it's a single stroller that easily converts to a double stroller and it has a lot of options to attach an infant car seat and a toddler seat. I also really like that there's a lot of room for storage at the bottom.
    What you don't like about it, if anything: It's quite heavy. So lugging it around isn't a lot of fun.
    Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: N/A
    Is there a [stroller] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: Nope
    Additional thoughts on [stroller]: A lot of people don't like this stroller because it is so heavy, but I think that it is a solid stroller and highly recommend it. We bought this stroller because we knew we would want 2 kids.

What's your primary terrain? Urban
    Favorite [stroller]: Thule Chariot (Double)
    Link/picture: 

Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $500 CAD
    What you like about it: DD really likes the space for all her toys and snacks.
    What you don't like about it, if anything: At the moment we wish we bought the single stroller, but it was more cost effective to buy the double.
    Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I compared all the Thule jogging strollers and this one seemed to be the best one that wasn't super expensive.
    Is there a [stroller] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: N/A
    Additional thoughts on [stroller]: DH is the one that uses this stroller, and he seems to like it.

What's your primary terrain? Urban
    Favorite [stroller]: Inglesina Net (Umbrella stroller)
    Link/picture: 

Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $125 CAD
    What you like about it: I like that it's super light, it stays standing up without having to lean it on a wall, it comes with a shoulder strap and a decent amount of storage underneath, and it's designed to be used from 6 months+ (it reclines and hugs the baby so it's safe to use at an early age). The seat part can be removed from the stroller and is machine washable.
    What you don't like about it, if anything: Nothing, it's a great stroller.
    Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Nope, this one comes highly reviewed.
    Is there a [stroller] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: Nope
    Additional thoughts on [stroller]: I highly recommend this stroller, DD likes it a lot too.

Edit: I forgot to say that I love the schedule you came up with @doxiemoxie212 !
  • Loading the player...
  • tammy574tammy574 member
    edited October 2017
    • Favorite [stroller]: BOB all the way. For smaller umbrella KOLCRAFT.
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $369.99    $26.88
    • What you like about it: The bob is awesome as far as bigger strollers. It practically drives itself! Don’t believe me? Try it! The kolcraft umbrella one is just SO much better than typical umbrellas and you can actually maneuver it easily but it is as small as an umbrella. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: no
    • Is there a [stroller] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: an actual umbrella! They are are miserable to maneuver. 
    • Additional thoughts on [stroller]: Honestly you kind of need a big one and a small one. The big one is too big to keep in your vehicle constantly and you don’t need a big one in most situations once your lo is bigger. The small one can stay stowed in the car and you have it at a moments notice. 
  • Hey guys - I just realized, I'm going to add an additional prompt. Feel free to edit your posts to update, but I don't think it's necessary. Just thought it would be helpful moving forward.
  • dinodna3dinodna3 member
    edited October 2017
    • Favorite [stroller]: City Select Double by Baby Jogger
    • Link/picture: Picture above
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $$$
    • What you like about it: All the configurations are great for two. I plan on getting the stroller board, so it can carry 3. I like that the kids aren't next to each other so they can't fight over stuff (cups, snacks, toys, etc.) 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: You can't collapse the stroller with both seats attached. I don't think it's heavy but I've heard other people do. 
    • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: No. 
    • Is there a [stroller] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: I had the Graco Modes travel system before I got my double and I hated how bulky and heavy it was when used as a stroller. It was perfect as just a base for the bucket seat. 
    • Additional thoughts on [stroller]: Totally worth the money IMO. I hardly used a stroller with my first because I wore her everywhere but my son hated to be worn. Of course, DD wanted to ride once she saw her brother in a stroller. The basket on the bottom holds a lot of stuff. 
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    • Favorite [stroller]: UppaBabyCruz
    • Link/picture: https://ca.uppababy.com/cruz/overview/
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $$-$$$
    • What you like about it: Love the extendable handle. DH is tall (6'6") and so we needed a longer handle. The stride length is good so DH isn't kicking the stroller as he walks. It is realtively light. Great STORAGE! (seriously, you need this) And it has a narrower wheel base than a lot of the other ones on the market. As we live in the city, we need to get round shops, on transit and through doorways with ease. The reverse facing feature and the adapter for the car seat are good. And great resale 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: Not intuitive to open. One wheel is a wee wonky, but we still love it.
    • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: We looked at City Select, but the storage was the deal breaker for us.
    • Is there a [stroller] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: Umbrella strollers. Too short for me (5'6") and WAY too small for DH. 
    • Additional thoughts on [stroller]: Get one that suits your lifestyle. This is a big investment. This is something that you will use a lot. So open, close, open close, lift, lift lift. Walk, brake, walk brake. Talk to other moms in your area. Walk thier kids. And ask around. 
    Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • FTM here:
    • [Stroller[s)] you're interested in: Uppababy Vista. I want to have our kids closer together so I want a convertible stroller. I also want the seat to be able to be taken out so I can just have the infant car seat on the frame to reduce the bulk. I'm not sure I can convince MH to spend $900 on a stroller though and that doesn't even include the car seat or all the extras. Also, FYI, I am almost 5'10" and MH is 6'5" so I like that it has a telescoping handle. 
    • Link/picture: https://uppababy.com/vista/

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $$$$
    • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?: For anyone that has the Uppababy, is it worth it? @ChloandCoco I have heard that when you have the second seat on the City Select that you can't collapse the stroller. Is that true?

*TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• @krashke see my post above. As someone with a tall SO, UppaBaby strollers are good. The Vista is able to add another seat, and when you put in a 5 X per week, use for X number of years, the cost per use is worth it. My compromise with DH on our budget for our first was I would take second hands things for other equipment, but I wanted my OWN stroller. That being said, you can find GUC Uppababy strollers second hand.
    Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • @krashke So I have an uppababy vista with the extra seat. Honestly for the money I’d choose something else. The larger heavier child needs to be in the seat with the weight on the back wheels and the vista kind of is set up for the heavier child to be on the front wheels. It makes maneuvering hard and I found it barely tolerable. I’m out of the double baby stage now so I haven’t researched what I do like as far as doubles. I just know I wouldn’t recommend the vista. I’d recommend going to the store and putting a 30 pound weight in the front seat and see how it feels before purchasing. I just know there has to be better designs but maybe there isn’t? 
  • @krashke You are correct, you can not close the city select with both seats attached. It's a little annoying but it only takes a second to pop the seat off. 
  • @kmurdock925 and other curious 3rd time moms, this is the only double stroller I have direct experience with.  The Chicco Twin Double Stroller ($189).  My boys are 16 months apart, and it works okay.  Features are minimal, it's a bit bulky, but I think most double strollers are.  The main reason I have this one is because it was offered for free as a hand me down and I couldn't pass up a good deal.  It fits through doorways without much issue (width is something to look at if you're going in and out of stores, etc. with it). There's enough room underneath for bags/snacks/drinks, etc.  The seats recline.  I wouldn't say there's much (if any) shade provided, and there are no drink/snack holders.  This is also for kids that can already sit up (not infants).  

I've heard great things about Bob Double Strollers, if you're willing to spend a pretty penny.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • @krashke We have the Uppababy Cruz.  It is great for tall people.  However, we stopped using it around 16 months because it got to be too much to lug in and out of the car, deal with at daycare and it took up too much room in the trunk - - and the Cruz is smaller than the Vista. We switched to Summer Infant 3d Lite and it is so much better for daily use.  So I think it depends on how you intend to use the Vista.  Weekends while walking through your neighborhood? Fine.  On a daily basis in the city to get your kid to daycare?  Meh. 

So many people recommended that I get a snap and go, or the equivilent for the bucket seat phase, and then switch to an umbrella.  I wish I had listened.   
    • What's your primary terrain? (Urban, suburban, rural, etc.):  Urban and Suburban
    • Favorite [stroller]: Uppababy Cruz
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $$$$
    • What you like about it: The handle, the smoothness, the basket
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: The size, the weight, the size.  Did I mention the size?
    • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I would love one of those strollers that folds into a little tiny bag (not an umbrella stroller).  
    • Additional thoughts on [stroller]:  As noted above, I think big strollers are good for certain situations - - strolling around town.  They are not good if you are putting them in and taking them out of your car every single day.  
    • What's your primary terrain? (Urban, suburban, rural, etc.): Urban and Suburban
    • Favorite [stroller]: Summer Infant 3D Lite
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $
    • What you like about it: Size! Cost.  My kid LOVES it.  He sits in it willingly most days.  
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: I wish it was slightly shorter when folded up so I could put it in my car slightly differently, but that is a car issue.  
    • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
    • Additional thoughts on [stroller]:

• @krashke That's right, you can't, but it takes 2 seconds to pop off the seats.
  • This thread made me realize how little I know about brands as a FTM and how much I have to learn lol. S.O. is 6'4 and I am 5'9 with a crappy spine. So I'll be looking for strollers that are good for tall people for sure. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @missylaneous419 I'm with you! The more I read, the more I realize I know nothing!! Ack!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LaceyBee522 @missylaneous419 The city select stroller has a telescopic handle. I'm 5'7" and DH is 5'10" and we have ours extended half way.
  • I'm torn about strollers.  We bought one, and I think we used it a handful of times. It was nice because the car seat did fit on it, but when I was by myself, i used a carrier or wrap instead of a stroller.  I walked our dog as well, and I just didn't feel comfortable doing all that with this big stroller. 

We now use one of these, or just one of these  and our big stroller sits in the garage collecting dust.  *shrugs*
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @sunshineandwhiskey I was super torn about getting a double too. I waited until DS was 6/7m old before I finally decided to get one. I still don't use it on a daily basis but it is invaluable when walking long distances is involved. 
  • @dinodna3 yeahhhhhhh I think we're going to end up with one of those too unfortunately.  I really hate strollers haha
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I almost forgot to add, I got my city select double on an Amazon prime lighting deal in January and saved like $200. I have a friend who got hers there too. I think they clearance out the prior years model at that time. 
  • So it looks like many have the City Select. Can I ask why not the City Mini? I think that's the one DH wants. 

(We live in NYC, so very rarely drive, walk almost everywhere, don't have a ton of storage space.)
  • Double Stroller moms.... I have a Britax single travel system now (which I love, and will try to review in full after work today). But I would like to be able to use the Britax B Safe seat with my double stroller.  I'm going to have 2 under 2, so the less time I spend getting in and out of the car/ stroller the better off I'll be.  Do you know if your double stroller allows for different car seats to be used?
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• dinodna3dinodna3 member
    edited October 2017
    @doxiemoxie212 I choose the city select because the seats are stacked not side by side. *I think* You can buy it as singe stroller and just get the second seat later if you need it. That is not an option with the city mini. 
  • @doxiemoxie212 The city select converts to a double stroller whereas the city mini is only a single stroller. I think a lot of women buy the select because they are hoping to have multiple kids. The city mini is also a jogging stroller, and smaller so it might be better for you especially if you are low on storage space and walking on busy streets.
  • @ChloandCoco @dinodna3 ohhhh ok, I don't think DH knows that. We def want to have more kids, and by that point we will NOT be in the city more (or lawd help me). ;)
  • @jsl82 You can buy car seats attachment accessory for the City Select for like $25. I used my Graco car seat with it. 
  • @doxiemoxie212 ~ The mini is a single only whereas the select can be a single or a double (and technically can also have a third on the standing board). With DS, we got the mini and now I am kicking myself because we will now be having to get a select (instead of just an extra seat if we had gotten the select from the start). 

What i I love about the select is that it’s a double but the seats stack forward to backwards instead of side by side. So while it is longer, it’s not wide like a normal double is. So it’s easier to manuever through most places than a side by side double 
  • Hmm, I feel like no help because we only ever used the chicco stroller that came with our car seat bundle. It's not super heavy and has worked fine for us wherever we've taken it.  I'm trying to figure out a good option for infant and toddler but without spending a pretty penny.  I feel like I won't use it that often but maybe I will since this baby/babies(still got that twin feeling...) will be born in the summer. DD was born early October and then it got really cold and a now so we didn't use it much until she was like 6 or 7 months old..
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Don't mind me reviving this thread..   ;)

MH and I wandered into Buy Buy Baby the other day and this amazing employee helped us decipher the stroller section.  Basically we fell in love with the Baby Jogger Citi Mini because it was so light and easy to fold up and MH's only request was having awesome tires.  Do any STM's actually have the Citi Mini?  The only thing I'm concerned about with it is the amount of storage space on the bottom - it looks like it forfeits a little bit in that department but it's hard to tell!
  • @becca_123 - City Mini owner here. The storage is decent. Never had an issue with it

i will say, like I said above, if you are planning on having more kids in the next few years, skip the mini and go straight for the select. I wish we had. Select can be a single and it can be added on to so it can be a double/triple. Mini is only a single. So we now have to get another stroller for our second. Had I known about the select when I was pregnant with my first, I could have got it back then and just added on a seat for #2. Just something to consider. Some others above said the same sort of thing. 
  • @BurlapandLace thanks for input on the storage  :) 

I did read the other posts about the convenience of the select and being able to add seats to it, but I'm still drawn towards the mini.  MH and I are unsure when we will be ready for #2 , so I decided to not give much thought to the select.  With that being said, I think I will check it out next time I go back to BBB.  If it's not too much heavier it might just be logical.
  • @becca_123 The storage sucks.  However, if you learn to put things in and out from the side (not from the back), you get used to it..

doxiemoxie212 I really do love my City Mini GT!  I can’t speak for the Select, but if you go City Mini,  go with the GT.  It has the better wheels.

sunshineandwhiskeydinodna3 Im torn about buying a double also.  Mainly because DD (2 years 4 months old) is pretty hit or miss these days if she will sit still in a stroller at all.  I pretty much just want it for evening neighborhood walks.  Considering the City Mini GT double if anything at all.  Many people are opposed to the side by side, but the tandems I've tried feel SO HEAVY to push.  I dunno...

• @buffalove1211 since this thread was posted im
    100% doing the uppababy vista lol 
  • @buffalove1211 My DD hated the stroller until she saw her brother riding in it. I mainly went to the tandem because I knew my kids would fight constantly if they were side by side. 
  • NamelessAriaNamelessAria member
    edited December 2017
    • ETA: Oops. I totally just realized this is a zombie thread that got resurrected earlier today. 

• What's your primary terrain? (Urban, suburban, rural, etc.): Suburban
    • Favorite [stroller]: The only stroller I've tried is the Chicco Bravo
    • Link/picture:
    • Chicco Bravo Stroller Ombra
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $230 or so depending on where you buy.
    • What you like about it: The car seat I used for my son (Chicco Keyfit30) worked with the stroller and made it easy to take my son places when he was tiny. The stroller is super simple to fold up to store. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: It can't really go "off road" even on a well maintained, flat dirt trail. It doesn't do super well with trails/sidewalks/roads/whatever that aren't well maintained. Same with anything littered with leaves, twigs, acorns and such. This was a major annoyance for the fall park trips.
    • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: City Select by Baby Jogger. Once I have my second I'll need a way to get around with them both. It just makes sense to be to get a convertible stroller that can handle one car seat+ plus one child not in a car seat and then can transition later on to two "big kids" and eventually back to a single stroller when my oldest doesn't need/want to use the stroller anymore.
    • Additional thoughts on [stroller]: FTMs don't make the mistake I did. Go ahead and spend a little extra for a stroller that can be used as a double stroller unless you're 100% sure you're one and done or something. My husband and I planned to have enough time between children that sharing a stroller and such wouldn't be an issue but well.. here I am 13 weeks pregnant with a child who literally turned 6 months 3 days ago. So you never know what'll happen. I'm very frustrated with myself that I spent nearly $250 on a stroller only to now need to turn around and spend another $400-500 for a double stroller. If there is any way you can afford to go ahead and start with the convertible stroller I'd strongly recommend doing so!
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• omg oops.  I also didn't realize when I posted that this thread was ancient.  Oh well.
  • Ok so just had a traumatic experience at BBB. I almost started crying in the store. We just stopped in to look at strollers to get a better idea of what we like. I went in thinking I would like the City Select best but alas I did not. 

We discovered that we want something that is easy to fold, easy to unfold, it doesn’t stand on the handle when folded, isn’t too heavy and has a decent frame/nice tires. 

The best folding one one was the Chicco Bravo Trio Travel System but it felt kind of cheap. And as someone mentioned above it doesn’t seem like it would handle uneven terrain well. It comes with a Chicco KeyFit car seat and base so you’re basically paying for that and getting a stroller for $100. 

The UppaBaby Vista and City Select we’re both bulky and easy to fold/unfold but stand on the handle. Living in a snowy/rainy area I’m afraid the handle is going to get so gross and dirty when we take it in and out of the car. 

The City Mini GT was nice but doesnt stand when folded. 

The Britax strollers were all a PITA to fold and unfold. 

Any my advice on how you actually use your strollers that would negate some of our concerns would be appreciated. I feel like we’re not going to find something that checks all the boxes. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• @krashke have you watched YouTube videos about the strollers where the people show using them IRL? It seems v few store the strollers on the handles in the car, they put them in.... flat? I don’t know if that’s the best way to describe it. Sideways? And seems like the unfold before they put it on the ground kind of? But I have yet to play with strollers in person so I don’t know if that’s YouTube magic. 
  • Do other rural living moms plan to get strollers?? I don’t think I need one, at least not for a while. No malls or places to walk easily here except in the summer and little one can be in a carrier this summer. Summer only lasts 90 days here and I just don’t think I need one unless we travel to the lower 48 or back home to Scotland. Am I over looking something?