Baby Names

Caelan

When you hear the name Caelan, do you assume its a boy or a girl? 

From what I understand, Caelan is an Irish boys name, but in the area I live, people are spelling it Cailin and Kaelyn and using it as a girl name. That makes me a little concerned that people around here would hear the name Caelan and automatically think it's a girl. Just curious what people's opinions (who don't live where I do) are when they hear that name. 

Thanks!
BabyFetus Ticker
Mama to Rowan Sebastian and baby boy coming in April!

Re: Caelan

• My first thought was boy but come to think of it I've only known one, spelled Cailin, who was a girl.  I think the -en ending is masculine to me
  • I honestly thought girl, because my thought was it's pronounced Kay-lynn , and tacking Lynn on to a name is all the rage right now.

Kellen is similar, and fairly solid in masculine usage.
  • Loading the player...
  • The only Caylin I know is a girl but I don't know the history of the name. But I like Kellen much better..
  • @Bringmemylongswordho @hollieileen Thanks for your input! I LOVE Kellen, but DS1 goes to a very small in-home daycare, and they already have a Kellen there, so we had to nix that name :( 
    BabyFetus Ticker

• A friend has a son, Kaylo.n

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • One of my best female friends growing up was Caylin. I had a female high school student named Caylin last year too. I have never seen the spelling you mentioned. 
  • I think boy and I like it. What about Callan? I think that's Irish too 
    Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
    BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
    TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
    BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • @Bringmemylongswordho @hollieileen Thanks for your input! I LOVE Kellen, but DS1 goes to a very small in-home daycare, and they already have a Kellen there, so we had to nix that name :( 
    @growingournest just because someone else you know has that name, doesn’t mean you need to nix it.  If you really like the name, then keep it on your short list!  
  • I think boy for sure! Cailin makes me think girl because its almost like Caitlin. What about Kellen/Kellan? Just idea or Callan like someone mentioned above. 
  • aRachel21 said:
    @Bringmemylongswordho @hollieileen Thanks for your input! I LOVE Kellen, but DS1 goes to a very small in-home daycare, and they already have a Kellen there, so we had to nix that name :( 
    @growingournest just because someone else you know has that name, doesn’t mean you need to nix it.  If you really like the name, then keep it on your short list!  
    Agree!! How would you feel if you didn't use Kellen but then that little boy stopped using your daycare- if you are not friends with the family I don't think you need to eliminate it
  • edited October 2017
    Very true. Thanks for the advice ladies! It seems like a lot of you think of Caelan as a girl name, so I think we'll cross that off. Definitely adding Kellen back onto the list though. Any thoughts about the other names on our boy list?

Westley
    Callum
    Callan

Or any other suggestions that you think would go with our "style?" DS1 is Rowan Sebastian.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Glad Kellen is back on the list. I like Callum! Love nn Cal
  • I prefer Wesley to Westley.  Callum is my favorite of yours and goes well with Rowan 
  • JMU_Bride09JMU_Bride09 member
    edited October 2017
    Seeing Caelan written I think boy,  but if I were to hear it, I think that I would probably assume it was spelled like Kaylyn and was a girl.  I agree with PP that having another little boy in daycare with the name Kellan shouldn't discourage you from using it.  He might not even go to the same daycare a year from now, for all you know.  I vote for Callan or Kellan from your list.  Other ideas:

Brendan 
    Brogan
    Cameron 
    Conan
    Declan
    Glenn
    Graeme 
    Henry
    Jack
    James
    Jude 
    Leopold