June 2018 Moms

Healthy Habits Check-In w/o 8 Oct

DashainaDashaina member
edited October 2017 in June 2018 Moms

What healthy habits are you creating or keeping up during your pregnancy this week?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Healthy Habits Check-In w/o 8 Oct

• Sleeping lots? Haha.

I'd like to say trying to eat healthy but today is our thanksgiving :P 

• I'm determined to maintain my gym and running schedules, we'll see if I can fit them in between the massive cups of ginger tea my stomach can't currently survive without, lol. As for picking up, it's my goal to become pro at increasing protein in my meals. I'm extemely close to vegetarian but am not creative enough with alternative protein sources, so I guess that's the health change I'll be trying to implement. 
    Ziggy       <3 07/2018-08/2018 <3
    Micah      <3 10/2015
    #recurrentpregnancylossawareness
  • Loading the player...
  • Despite the fatigue I'm trying to keep up my working out. Yesterday it got to me and I didnt do anything. My last pregnancy I completely stopped working out in the first trimester out of my own fears/nerves. This time around, unless directed otherwise, I want to workout and stay active my entire pregnancy. 
  • Trying to keep up with my keto diet as much as possible. I've adjusted my macros for pregnancy and so far I've not had any issues with morning sickness. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way. I'm also hoping to keep up with my gym routine. Prior to becoming pregnant I was going 6 times a week. While I might not be as strict while pregnant, I definitely want to keep moving! 
  • I want to keep up with yoga, but I know I need to avoid certain poses... just can't remember which ones. I also hope to not eat all the food, but, if this pregnancy is like my others, I've got about 2 is weeks before all food sounds terrible, so it's hard to have any real restraint.
  • I’m a certified professional pole instructor, sadly that’s one thing I have to give up during the pregnancy too risk flipping upside down, spotting 150lb humans, risk of falls or kicks so no more pole. Went to the gym today for the first time since March. Since I found out last week I’ve been walking a couple miles almost every morning. I’m ready for it to cool off in Houston so I can walk during my lunch break instead. I’d like to continue the gym but probably just be a weekend thing. Diet wise I’ve been eating healthier since ttc. Weekdays are pretty much protein & green smoothie for breakfast, salad for lunch, and fruit & nuts for snacks. Limiting my process sugars & white carbs to basically one per day. Today I had a pulled pork sandwich (half for lunch half for dinner). 
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • @ffw0617 pulled pork sandwich is the first thing that has sounded good in the last few days...So good. And great for you keeping up the walking, I should incorporate more walking into my routine. 
  • @ffw0617  OMG!! I totally took 2 pole classes when we lived in FL & WI (one in each place) and we took my 2 littles along with us (it was a family nite freebie class at a private home gym) to one of them and my then 2 year old had a BLAST spinning herself around and around.  It was so much fun. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I definitely fall into the category of "plus size" so I am really trying to focus on healthy habits throughout this pregnancy. Tomorrow I'm going grocery shopping and am really going to try and eat clean and healthy food options as much as possible. Also I want to take my dogs hiking on my days off now that it has started to cool down.

I also just finished reading like 5 different articles about how being overweight and pregnant makes me a terrible person. I was wondering if there are any other plus size moms on this board and if we could maybe start a weekly check in? 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• @Amphibious22 I don't think I quite make plus size (I'm about *this* close to it though).  I've been trying not to beat myself up about it and just focus on doing healthy things this pregnancy.  I never got down to where I wanted to be after having dd.  BF did not help me lose weight.  I also had PP anxiety/depression that I didn't do anything about for a long time.  

I'm planning healthier meals and trying to be more active.  You got this, girl!
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm focusing on cutting down carbs, and in particular, things containing enriched white flour since I'm limiting folic acid due to my MTHFR. I switched to PNVs with methyl-folate instead back in March, and I'm trying to eat lots of leafy greens when I can to get more folate. I'm also going to try to cook at home more so I can control the processed food intake. I've been using the Mealime app for a while, and it helps cut down on the problem of not having the ingredients in the house when dinner time comes around, as I just make a grocery list for the recipes I pick and head to the grocery on the way home from work. I was also doing yoga quite a bit at home, but fell off the wagon for a few weeks when my computer's battery died. Need to get back into it, but probably a bit easier than what I was doing. @lalalaj, I think mostly we're supposed to avoid certain twisting motions (twist to open up abdomen vs. constrict it) and avoid inversions, as it can be a problem for balance and blood flow. But I think that most of these suggestions are for 2nd and 3rd trimester? This link might be helpful: https://www.yogajournal.com/teach/tools-for-teaching-prenatal-yoga-the-first-trimester

Me: 30 | DH: 31
    Met: August 2006
    Married: July 2012
    TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
    BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
    BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C
  • Pole is the best workout. I’m bias but I love it. Been doing it 4 years. I’ll miss it. But many pole moms I know come back and they only get stronger & more confident. 
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • @sabby2 thanks! The problem is that I never really feel overweight because I live such an active lifestyle. I'm hoping that by switching from eating junk food whenever I feel like (which I did a lot whenever TTC got me down, which was a lot..) to healthy food, I can avoid a lot of the risks involved with an overweight pregnancy. Hopefully my ob will have encouraging things to say at my first appt in a few weeks. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• @Amphibious22 I am 'plus size' .... Ive been trying to work on eating habits and such for the last year. Have lost about 20 lbs and am essentially just back down to where I was pre pregnancy #1. 
    My midwives with DS never gave me a hard time with my first pregnancy - just didn't want me to gain too much. 
  • @Amphibious22 meee! I lost a great deal of weight and was finally the healthiest I'd been in years. Then my ex husband pulled all his surprise shenanigans and my relationship of 15 years came to an end. I lost even more weight due to anxiety and then did nothing but cry and eat for months and gained so much I am still ashamed of myself. I was getting back into the swing of being active and eating right when this wonderful surprise happened. I don't want to give myself license to eat everything not nailed down just because I am pregnant. So I definitely need to keep holding myself accountable and make smart choices. I'd love a weekly check-in and nutrition/fitness goal each week. I know I need to limit carbs and sugar due to PCOS. I feel so much better when I do. But why do they taste so goooood? *insert all the cries* 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Amphibious22 here too! Before getting pregnant I started a keto diet and lost 61lbs. I still have a lot to go and am hoping to stay with keto throughout the pregnancy. My biggest thing is trying to keep moving. The only symptom I have so far is being exhausted. Between that and my gym closing for 2 weeks to do renovations, it's been hard to stay motivated! Hopefully getting back into it this week. I'd love a weekly check-in! It'll help me stay accountable, which I've found helps me so much! 
  • @meagster13 @missylaneous419 @kbrown2385 thanks for posting and the support!! Like all of you, I had been working on losing weight and am down about 25 lbs from my heaviest. Even though DH and I had been TTC for almost 2 years, this BFP still feels like a surprise since I had completely lost hope about ever getting pregnant a while ago. I'm also hoping to not lose motivation and keep up my healthy habits. 

@doxiemoxie212 is it okay to start a weekly check in for plus size moms? 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• I am also a heavier girl. I'm in-between sizes of normal and plus size (size 14-16). I have been focusing on eating a lot more healthy things and managed to drop maybe 5lbs the month before getting pregnant. I have been cutting back on my meat consumption and increasing my vegetable/legume intake, which I achieve through making a lot of soup. I can make it in large batches, it's easy to freeze, and it's perfect for lunch and dinner! Plus, it's finally starting to cool down a little, so it's really just the perfect season for it.

My biggest vice is that I'm not overly active, which is why I probably don't drop the weight as quickly as I could. I can't help but feel super paranoid and fragile since losing my first, and so I refrain from taking on too much activity, especially as I would get a little crampy early on walking the dog. :/
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @silvergreen I wish I could make soup since it can be really healthy and is very convenient, but unfortunately I've never liked it unless it was super creamy and therefore not healthy. 

And I definitely get being worried about too much activity. Hopefully once the scary early weeks are behind us, it'll be easier. Even if it just means walking the dog (or dogs in my case) for a little longer. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• @Amphibious22 Absolutely. I just feel so paralyzed right now. :( Glad I'm not alone.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • tammy574tammy574 member
    edited October 2017
    I am not plus size but need a diet revamp this pregnancy. I have struggled with my last pregnancies with inflammation and nerve pain. I know my diet is partly to blame but it’s so hard when the only thing that gets me through pregnancy is carbs! Does anyone have a meal plan app that uses REGULAR ingredients??? Every time I try them the grocery shopping is a nightmare because I’m not used to rare/unique groceries. I just want regular recipes with basic ingredients! 
  • @tammy574, I don't know what your level of regular ingredients is, but Mealime has lots of options, and are usually fresh takes on food but with regular ingredients (at least to this adventurous eater).

Me: 30 | DH: 31
    Met: August 2006
    Married: July 2012
    TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
    BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
    BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C
  • I am a fan of making double batches of crockpot meals, lasagnas, or other casseroles for dinner, and then freezing the leftovers in single portion containers. Then when I’m hungry for something and don’t want to put any effort, there is a healthy meal waiting for me.
  • @bitzyg how do you keep your lasagna noodles from getting soggy? I have only had fails when trying to do pasta. :frowning: I would love to know what are your go to crock pot meals? I just got mine 3 months ago and have stuck to chicken for using in casserole recipes, granola or soup basically. I recently broke my casserole dish and would be interested in knowing what casserole meals you do as well! I have a 6 quart crock. 
  • @Dashaina I don't precook my noodles. Covering with sauce is enough to cook the lasagna while covered. I love to make all of my pasta from scratch but I recently moved and my whole place is a tad insane.
  • ncm1919ncm1919 member
    edited October 2017
    I was a devoted Bar Method student with my daughter. Like 6x a week. I'm just starting to go back and it's the best thing I've done for myself in a long time. I'm still up about 20 lbs from when I got knocked up the first time. I'm trying to tone up the places I can...legs and arms and gain whatever is appropriate to keep new baby healthy and happy. 
  • @Dashaina : just what missylaneous419 said! I even have a crock pot spinach lasagna recipe. I’m notorious for burning dinner-that’s why I love crockpot meals so much! Chili is another favorite. I’m happy to send a screen shot of the recipe if it sounds good! 
  • Ladies, the instantpot has changed my life. I love it more than my crockpot!  I'm still working on finding meals for it though.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• I’m going to keep running for as long as I can. I usually go 4x a week for 3 miles. I had really bad MS with my previous pregnancies so we’ll see how long I can continue it!

Pregnancy Ticker

• @missylaneous419 yeah I only make noodles from scratch. But was too scared of ruining them in the crock pot so I bought store noodles for the 2 attempts I made. Have you done this method with fresh noodles or do you freeze or dry out your homemade first? 

@bitzyg yes please! You may even email me if you want Gmail with my name. I am trying to collect as many recipes for the crock pot as possible so I can start using it more. The spinach lasagna sounds great. 
  • @silvergreen I wish I could make soup since it can be really healthy and is very convenient, but unfortunately I've never liked it unless it was super creamy and therefore not healthy. 
    If you cook potatoes in a little bit of stock then blend it, you can thicken up soups. Also, for creamy try using hummus. My favorite is using garlic hummus, because then I also don't have to cut up the sticky cloves and it's a time saver. But the effect is on par with adding sourcream to soups. Hope that can help :) 
    Ziggy       <3 07/2018-08/2018 <3
    Micah      <3 10/2015
    #recurrentpregnancylossawareness
  • Full fat coconut milk (in a can) for healthy creamy soups!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• This is one of my favorite soups: 

https://www.farmsteadchic.com/whole30-zuppa-toscana/

Whole30, creamy and dairy free! 

Also I saw Whole30 mentioned at one point. I have done two rounds so if you have questions feel free to PM me. Also they have a whole series for pregnancy: https://mamas.whole30.com/

*TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• @krashke that was me. We've never done a full one but I plan to try and eat as close to whole30 as possible during this pregnancy. Not going so well so far, haha!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• @Dashaina I never boil them no matter the type of lasagna noodle. When I make fresh lasagna noodles I keep them on wax paper as I assemble the dish. I've never frozen them first. Only pasta I've made to freeze is gnocchi. 
  • @missylaneous419 oh that's exciting. To be honest making lasagna noodles seemed rather daunting to me. Lol... So I've avoided pretty much doing anything other than the 2 cutting options I have on my roller.. Angel hair and fettuccine.. I think. I really do need to venture out and try some new stuff. Do you keep your lasagna just flat or do you have a special technique to ripple the edges... Pasta making is a fairly recent endeavor for me. Lmao. I probably should switch Google pregnancy to googling pasta making. Hahahhahaha
  • @sabby2 we grow coconuts on one of our 4 islands and love using coconut in things. I make milk as well. So delicious! 
  • @Dashaina @sabby2 I wish my SO loved coconut the way I do. He doesn't like it but I love it. I think that's one of the things I am going to use my pregnancy pouts for. Gimme coconut, waah. lol.

I don't ripple the lasagna noodles. That is the Americanized way (not that that's a bad thing). But traditionally, lasagna noodles are fresh egg pasta (Bolognese style). No ripple. Some of my family is from the Marche region of Italy and the others are from the Campania region. So it was interesting to see how influences from the different provinces combined over time.