October 2017 Moms

Stripping membranes??

I was due last week and at my last appointment (the day before my due date) the doctor offered to strip my membranes.  I declined.  My son was 8 days late, so I'm not surprised that my daughter is late as well.  When I go for my appointment this week, I feel the doctor may ask again.  Has anyone had their membranes stripped?  Is this a good idea? 

I went into labor naturally with my son and had a natural no drug delivery, which is my goal again this time.  If nothing happens this week, we may be talking induction early next week.

Re: Stripping membranes??

• Yep, my son was 6 days late when I had this done. Hurt like hell (like labor), but was done in 15 seconds and pain immediately stopped. Two fingers are inserted into the cervix and wiggled around to stretch it open.

That afternoon I lost my mucus plug and the next day my water broke, labor started 20mins later and he was in my arms 4hrs later.

This was my preferrence to having an induction as I wanted a natural birth with no meds.

I am now overdue with my second and will probably have another one done at my appointment tomorrow.

What I liked about the stretch and sweep is that while it encourages dilation and labor, if the baby isn't ready and doesn't push, it's not going to work. But if baby has been pushing and needs a little assistance coz he's not pushing hard enough or your cervix is just stubburn and won't dilate, it works. At least, it worked for me and I was only 1cm dilated and was stretched to 2cm.
  • I had my membranes stripped during my first pregnancy...never again!  It hurt like hell and I don't think it did much, if anything.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm pregnant with number three and had my membranes swept (or "stripped") with both of my first two. Personally, I didn't find it that much more uncomfortable than a regular vaginal exam, but that varies a lot from woman to woman.

If it's going to work - which it might not - it can take a day or two. Just something to consider if you're calculating trying to avoid induction.

For whatever it's worth, I also had unmediated births with my first two and tend to be on the "natural" end of the spectrum. A lot of crunchier mamas are vehemently opposed to having their membranes stripped, but for me, I was always most focused on avoiding a Pitocin induction. To each her own :-) 
  • I did, my OB said she bet I'd go into labor soon anyway but I went into hard labor the next day. So I don't know if it worked but I avoided being induced! It hurt but nothing major for me, like a longer more painful exam but all of 10-15 seconds, just caused cramping that day.
  • I had it done today, so will let you know if baby comes today or tomorrow :) Last time I had it done it hurt just as much as labor, but today no discomfort at all? Was already 3cm dilated today so perhaps that had something to do with it? Now it just have period-like cramps.