October 2017 Moms
Options

Braxton hicks or preterm labor?

i typically try not to call my doctor unless I feel like something is up. The last 3 days I've had what feels like period cramps x1000000 on and off. Today I monitored them and between 1:30 and 4:20 I had 4 contractions. I called my doctor and they said they can't really tell if it's Braxton hicks or not. I'm 35 weeks along right now and haven't had any issues thus far but I feel like this child wants out. Opinions? 

Re: Braxton hicks or preterm labor?

• Options
    So you had 4 contractions in about 3 hours? In the L&D department where I work, we typically tell people that having 6 or more contractions in an hour is when you would want to call your doc or come in. Painless or painful.  I think your body is just starting to prepare for labor. Occasional contractions at this point aren't something to be worried about. I'm a STM and have been having painless contractions (and some cramping ones) since about 26 weeks. Some as close as 3 minutes apart for 2 or 3 hours.  Make sure you're resting as much as you can and staying well hydrated. If you have any signs of infection you should get checked out. Infections can make your uterus irritable and make you contract.  It never hurts to call your doctor though if you continue to have concerns. That's what they are there for.  Good luck! 
  • Options
    @stefanirn06 yes, roughly 45 minutes to an hour apart on each. Thank you, I'm keeping that in mind because I don't want to go into the hospital to be sent home. I'm just a little worried that I'm having these contractions and my baby still being breeched.. I have an appointment next Wednesday and I'm going address all of this with my doctor, I guess peace of mind until then is what I need. 
    Thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My practice operates with 5-1-1. So contractions coming every 5 minutes lasting for a full minute and have been that way for an hour. That's how my old practice did, as well. When this is happening, they say to call or come in. 

Put your feet up, relax, and chug some water whenever possible :smile:

BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @natleilynn I'll definitely remember that, I guess maybe I've been overdoing it even though I haven't done a whole lot. 
    I'm seriously considering calling into work tomorrow to just rest because I've had a few more since this afternoon they just aren't close together. 
  • Options
    @tyannej, you asked the exact question I wanted to ask, well similar, I am 37 weeks today and for the past couple of days I have been cramping on and off, this is very different from my first pregnancy because first time round I felt nothing really except a few Braxton hicks, this time I feel like my body is preparing for baby to come out sooner than later. I hope later because I have a RCS booked on my due date and midwife has been telling the baby is quite big so I'd rather go for RCS than try normal, anyways seeing my doc next week and he will decide what's going to happen. But you hang on there and so will I! :) Although I must say this cramping and the discomfort makes me think I will have a baby very very soon. 
  • Options
    I teach Childbirth Ed at our local hospital, and we also use the guideline of going in if you're having more than six contractions an hour prior to 37 weeks. I was having regular - but not painful - contractions at 35+5 so I went in and got hooked up to the monitor until contractions calmed down and they could confirm I wasn't dilating. Now that I'm full term I had another round of similar contractions but was comfortable waiting it out at home and they gradually went away. Always happens at night when it's going to ruin your sleep though ;-)