Success after IF
Options

After IVF we went from five (5) embryos to zero (0) in just one day?!?!

We've been working with a local fertility clinic here in the DC area. They've been just ok, I'll skip the details here. But now I'm starting to become officially concerned about their competency. My wife and I had our IVF implant a few days ago with what they called "a healthy, beautiful blastocyst." Prior to that, the reports were as follows. Day 1: six of your eight eggs have thawed. Day 2: six eggs continue to divide. This was the case all the way up to Day 5, when they selected the healthiest blastocyst to implant. It was so healthy that they did not see a need to implant two, which they often do.

The plan, as is standard for most, was to let the remaining blastocysts develop that were not implanted. Those that matured into viable embryos would be frozen for us to use at a later day.

Now, this morning, two days after the implant and all these good positively developing blastocyst reports, we receive this very short note.

"Your nurse is out of the office today. I wanted to let you know that the lab was not able to freeze the remaining embryos. They did not continue to develop into blastocysts."

This strikes me as odd, alarming and a host of other unpleasant characterizations.

Is this normal? I am finding it hard to believe that we went from five very healthy, dividing embryos down to zero in such a short time.

Re: After IVF we went from five (5) embryos to zero (0) in just one day?!?!

• Options
    I'm no expert in embryology, but based on a lot of other peoples' experiences, it's such a random crapshoot. Literally. There is a drop off between day 3 and 5, and it's usually 50% I believe. Have you spoken with the embryologist about that?
    My TTC journey:
    Me and DH: 30-35
    Unexplained infertility
    TTC #1 since 2015
    11/2015 - BFP!     12/2015 - MC  :'(
    IVF #1 July 2017 freeze all (20 eggs, 15 mature, 10 fert, 6 blasts, 4 PGS normal)
    FET #1 TBD  Surprise BFP 9/2017 while waiting for FET... hoping for the best!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Did you have success with the one that was implanted? 

I understand your frustration. I had 4 embryos developing well my first IVF cycle and they stopped growing on day 3-4. Only one made it to blast on day 6, but turned out abnormal. 2nd IVF cycle, only 1 out of 5 made it to blast. Came back normal and we have a FET scheduled for Oct. We only have the one shot so I am curious of success stories with 1 embryo transfered. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As everyone has said, the approximate rate of normal fertilised embryos on day 1 lasting to blastocysts is 50%. IVF#1 we had 4 fertilise and none made it past day 4. IVF#2 we had 8 fertilise and 8 still going strong day 3, then on day 5 only 3 survived, 1 transferred and didn't work, and 2 frozen and genetically normal. 
    Generally the answer you will get as why they didn't survive is due to the genetics, also half of miscarriages are genetic related too. So embryo arrest is very common, and all over the place. 
    It can be really difficult, and I feel for you. 

@dogmum we ended up transferring 1 frozen embryo, genetically normal and our clinics policy is always a single embryo transfer SET (tested or not) for under 35's with no recurrent miscarriages. I agree with them, that it is healthier and better to have 2 pregnancies and babies separately than go for both. No-one knows but we assume genetics is one of the major factors for the demise, so if both will survive it is much better to separate. It does mean more procedures potentially, but I agree with the trend for women who fit the profile. Even though yes I'd love twins, 2 babies at once after IF is desirable but I believe the data supporting the better outcome for SET's is more favourable and less risky. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    Yeah there's def a drop off. 

1st ivf 11 retreived
    9 fert
    7 made it to day 3
    5 to day 5.  Of those only 1 tested normal. 

2nd ivf
    9 retreived
    7 fert
    5 made it to day 3
    4 to day 5
    2 tested normal.

Had a cp on the first transfer made it to week 5. 
    Waiting to see when i can do another transfer.  Best of luck to you!