April 2018 Moms

The Great Car Seat Thread

What kind of car seat do you have? Likes/Dislikes? What kind of car do you drive? Which one are you thinking about getting?  

Re: The Great Car Seat Thread

• I drive a Ford Escape and DH drives a Chevy Silverado. We used the chicco keyfit 30 for the infant stage and loved it! We now use the chicco nextfit zip in our cars and love that one too. They're spendy, but worth it. The zip function allows easy removal for washing, it's a great feature.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Wanted to add, DS was 6lb and 9 ounces at birth, we used the infant seat for the first year, and I plan on doing the same for the second baby. I highly recommend the infant seat for the early days, the ability to take the car seat out of the car without having to get the baby out, and the ability to click the car seat into a stroller are definite perks to using an infant seat for the early days!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We chose the Chicco Keyfit for an infant seat as well because it's soooo easy to install. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to wrangle a car seat for installation, so we def went with what was easiest.

I'm not sure the type of car you drive makes a big difference for infant seats as they're all pretty compact, but when you're considering convertible seats (the next step up from an infant seat), your car definitely comes into play. We love Diono Radians, but while they've got a narrow profile, you need a bunch of space between the second row and the driver's seat. I drive a big SUV so it's not a problem, but with something much smaller it would be an issue. 
  • We also got the KeyFit 30,  upon the recommendation of several friends, and I loved it. Super easy to install and get in and out, and it fit on our stroller with an adapter. The only thing I didn't like is that the sun shade doesn't provide a ton of protection, so we needed a car seat cover on sunny walks.

Since we drove our daughter to day care back then (now we walk - it's amazing), we initially bought one seat and two bases. But I found hauling the seat around plus baby was annoying so we ended up getting two seats. Just keep that in mind if both parents are driving a lot, it can get pricey!
  • sjn00sjn00 member
    edited September 2017
    Chicco KeyFit30 I had it for DD1 and it doesnt expire for 8 years, so its good until Aug 2019. So excited. Loved this carseat!! And it is compatable with our CityMini GT stroller, so double win!
  • We had the Chicco Keyfit for DD1. I think I want a Maxi Cosi this time. I have a Durango. I don't think the size of the seat matters so much but the car can play a role depending on the size of the passengers. My sister had a Cadillac CTS and her hubby does not fit in her car with the infant seat in (she has a Britax B Safe). 

Me (33). DH (37). DD (2.2012). MCs x4. After 4 years & 7 months, due 4.2018!

• riversdoctorriversdoctor member
    edited September 2017
    Britax boulevard ct is my absolute favorite seat!   Depending on how fast ds grows I will be buying at least 1, if not 2 for the new baby.  5 second install, no latch rules to remember. It’s awesome!  I personally hate the bucket seat (I’ve had graco and baby trend) I’m short and they are awkward to carry.  I also have a chicco next fit which is awesome but not as awesome to install as the britax! 

I drive a monster suv but we have installed the seats in everything from a Ford Focus to an F150 and never had a problem installing it or issue with space. 
  • I used the peg perego 4/35 primo viaggio during the first year.  I liked it and plan to get the newer version this time around for LO.  I transitioned DD to the peg perego primo viaggio and used it until DD was almost 4 (RF the whole time)  We upgraded because I felt like it was time for her.  I now have the Britax pinnacle and she loves it too, mostly the cup holders haha!  I have a jeep and SO has a GMC truck and we've never had issues moving seats between cars etc.  I LOVE the britax install, clicktight I think is what its called, feels sooooo secure!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Another for the Chicco Keyfit30. Absolutely loved it and will be using it again for the new baby.

As for convertible cars seats we have a Graco (cannot remember the model) and a Britax Roundabout. Neither I am overly joyed with. The Britax is a pain to adjust the straps and reclining position. DS will probably still be using these by the time the new LO will be out of the infant car seat so I'll definitely be looking for some new recommendations.
    BabyFruit Ticker Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Another vote for Chicco KeyFit30. We love it. We have a Honda Civic and it fit nicely in the center and didn't touch seats and then in my 2012 RAV4, we had it behind the passenger. It is so easy to install and one of the most compact infant seats available.

DD is 3 and still RF. She's in a Chicco NextFit Zip (in the RAV4) and we love that because it is also ridiculously easy to install. A con to it is the high sides, but we don't mind because DD likes it. Our civic was in a fender bender, so we had to replace the other NextFit we had, but we replaced it with a Graco Extend2Fit. It's ok, and DD loves the two cupholders, but I found it much harder to install and it's more difficult to tighten the straps on a lower setting.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • lolablue3lolablue3 member
    edited September 2017
    I'm using the peg perego 4/35 primo viaggio this time around. I have a Britax boulevard clicktight that's like brand new for baby to transition into. All three kids now are in Britax frontier clicktights. I love the clicktights, such an easy installation. 
    ETA: I drive a suburban and will trade it in for a newer suburban or Yukon XL before baby comes. My husband drives a Dodge Ram. He's 6'4", and there's room behind him for a rear facing seat in my car. Not so much in his truck. 
  • @sapphires-and-diamonds look into the clicktight line by britax. They have the one handed harness adjustment and the recline is pretty simple. The marathon is a bit pricey for the short shell but the boulevard has a higher shell which can rear face longer.  (My 5 year old can rf by height in it but she has outgrown it rf by weight). 
  • Dang it guys. I was all ready to order a graco snug fit 30 (I make little humans so it would be in a convertible seat before it outgrew the infant seat) but now yall got me second guessing and thinking I need to research the chicco keyfit. 
    DH(27) + Me (27) = 1/14
    Baby #1: Aug. 2016
    Baby #2: April 1st, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker