December 2017 Moms

What’s In Your Hospital Bag?

I thought it might be a good idea to have one thread dedicated to what needs to be packed in your hospital bag. I’m hoping STMs can offer some great advice and feedback! 
About me:
TTC#1: October 2015
dx: PCOS & MFI
IUI #1 w/Femara + Ovidrel June 2016 ~ BFP
July 2016: Blighted Ovum
IUI #2 w/Femara + Ovidrel September 2016 ~BFN
IUI #3 w/Femara + Ovidrel October 2016 ~BFN
IUI #4 w/Femara + Ovidrel November 2016 ~BFN
IVF with ICSI January 2017 ~BFN
FET February 2017 ~BFN
IVF with ICSI March 2017 ~BFP--Twins Due 12/8/17
Team Blue X 2!

Re: What’s In Your Hospital Bag?

• Loading the player...
  • I will emphasize a long charging cable for your phone since the oulet might not be close by! These are great suggestions!

Me: 36  DH: 41
    DS: 07/03/11
    TTC #2: July 2016
    BFP: 4/19/17 EDD: 12/31/17
  • Skcobb said:
    breezybee said:
    Great thread, but holy shit, I'm terrified
    I saw this post pop up and was like "Isn't it a little early for this?" and then realized that I'm almost 30 weeks and should probably start getting the things that I don't have yet...and maybe freaked out juuuust a bit.
    Yeah I was reading the bump this week and it said to start packing a bag. I haven’t. Will probably do it around 36 weeks. That’s what I did last time. Glad I did because I went in for an appointment at 38 weeks came home with a baby. I always installed my base too before every appointment from 36 on. Also glad I did that because I can’t imagine doing that after a c section. Ha
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • What everyone listed is great. I also would add a power strip - outlets are in weird places in the hospital and you will not be able to reach your phone while charging. Gives more options for plugging in. And LABEL your chargers. I just had an overnight stay in the hospital and we forgot our charger - went back to get it and luckily it was there but the nurses said they are the most forgotten item and rarely get picked up. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @whiska  - I only experienced labor with my first. I wore the hospital gown, and I'm pretty sure at one point I was basically naked. I was SO hot I wanted nothing touching me. Labor is weird like that. Anyway, bring some music to listen to that can keep you zen. I always have music playing - and will again with this c/s. Just helps keep me calm. And I know some mom's bring essential oils to help keep the zen... I would highly advise against a fancy hospital robe/gown. Some hospitals don't allow them, and there is a lot that happens in labor and it will likely just get ruined. Just my two cents!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Great ideas from everyone! I will say definitely make sure you pack one in advance.  I didn't pack one with my DS thinking I still had time and ended up having an emergency c section without ever going into labor.  I sent my DH home with a list of stuff to grab and the clothes he brought back we're not what I wanted! Who knew black yoga pants were a difficult thing to find? Luckily, my SIL ended up staying at our house to watch our dogs so she brought me better clothes the next day.  I will definitely be packing a bag within the next couple of weeks to avoid that situation again.
  • @whiska, depending on your labor there is not much to wear aside from a hospital gown and socks. If you are having a hospital birth and plan on having and epidural and/or other meds you are basically immobile. In the early stages they may encourage you to get up and walk to progress but you may be hooked up to IVs and while in bed you may have heart/contraction monitors strapped on your belly, plus the nurses/doctors need easy access to be able to check dilation. Also, typically no food once in active labor. So aside from hospital gown (they provide, although many allow you to bring one if you choose) and socks/slippers, there's not much you need for the laboring portion other than maybe some form of entertainment (books, music, iPad etc). I bring snacks for DH and encourage him to bring his entertainment as well. This is strictly from my experience though. Natural births and c-section mamas may have way different experiences 
  • Last time I packed a lot of crap, and nothing I really needed. However since I had a c/s I had to stay in the grown they gave me, they didn't let me change my clothes until I showered which was day 2. This time though, I plan on using my own robe. Also things I loved having was chap-stick and it was pretty dry in the hospital so hard candy or cough drops. Charging cords are such a great idea. I will probably buy some redic huge sweat pants that go over my belly. And call me crazy, but I really liked those net undies they give you to hold that whopper of a pad in place, on that note some thin high-tech pads, so it doesn't feel like you have a brick between your legs.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • whiska said:
    @beary67 Thanks for starting this!  I keep having to remind myself that you're about a month closer to meeting your LOs than the singletons :blush:

@breezybee Yessss. It makes me really glad we only live 10 min from the hospital in case we forget something, but also I will probably not let H out of my sight!!

I see a lot of helpful ideas for after delivery, but what about during labor?  What do you wear?  What kind of things were helpful during labor that you brought from home?
    Butt naked. Bahahaha. C section momma here 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I haven't packed a bag yet, but with baby #1 I had WAYYYYYY too much stuff, so I paired it way down for baby #2 and still felt like it was overkill... this time I'm going to attempt to streamline even more, comfy postpartum pants, nursing top and bra, ipad/phone chargers & toiletries.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Always infinity pads - they are super thin but the heavy flow with wings can stand up to postpartum bleeding. They were a saving grace with #2 because my lady parts were so sore that the huge hospital pads just aggravated them more. They will also give you a stool softener while you're at the hospital (unless you don't want it), but I also bring a fiber vitamin to start taking, keep it soft and regular those first few days!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just bought some face cleansing wipes for my bag yesterday!

Yeah, I wore the hospital gown during labor plus slipper socks because it was soo cold in our hospital. I second the recommendation for music. I made 2 labor playlists: one with more mellow, calming music, and one with more empowering, happy, pump up songs.  My hospital won't let you eat. I brought in life savers for at least a small sugar rush and just didn't ask if it was ok if I ate a few. I'm sure I packed undies, but I wore the mesh ones they gave me with the giant pads, not my own. 

I was also a c-section, so I was in the gown a lot, but also wore yoga pants and nursing tanks. 

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • @whiska for labor I started in the hospital gown but was pretty much naked by the end. I was hot and tired and there was too much going on for me to care. 

Others have pretty much covered it. I want to emphasize snacks! My hospital also doesn’t allow you to eat, so after my long labor I was starving. They bring you a “Mom Meal” but this time I’m going to pack additional snacks. We ended up spending too much on takeout/delivery during our stay. Also, a robe. I bought a lightweight one for last timeand was so glad I had it walk around in during early labor. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @whiska i second what everyone else has said. hospital gown  and socks are what I wore. I also highly recommend your pillow from home, BUT in a bright pillowcase so you don't forget it.  I dislike hospital linens deeply so it was nice having at least one thing with my own linens on it.  Also, if you have longer hair, extra hair ties and a headband.  I wanted NOTHING to do with my hair while in labor and had my mom french braid it and I still put a headband on.  This mattered way less once I was in engaged, active labor, but it was nice while I was "ramping" up.
  • Double thumbs up for your own pillow, hair ties and grippy headband. Your own toiletries if you're picky. Phones/camera/chargers. Comfy pj pants, a nursing tank and a light robe. Going home clothes for baby. Flip flops that can be worn in shower and going home - your feet might swell, plus you probably won't want to bend over to put on your shoes. Seriously, do not bother with underwear - the mesh ones are where it's at. And i wouldnt pack a diaper bag unless your hospital is one of those places that doesn't let you take everything or you live far away.
  • @whiska I planned to have a water birth with DS and took crop tops to wear in the water, but the midwife advised I just be comfortable and go in naked. You know what she was so right, I didn't care that I was naked, felt so much better than having my massive boobs squeezed into a tight top.

I definitely think snacks are a great idea to take, something with lots of energy as you will need it, especially if you go through a longish labour. Also for after too, me and hubby were starving after and I wasn't keen on the food they offered. 

@oncape100615 you reminded me about the sore lady parts, just thinking about going for my first wee after giving birth.... Omg felt like my bits were on fire. Stool softener sounds like a good idea as I always felt so bruised when trying to go to the toilet for at least a week after.

Also not sure on what your choice of hospital's rules are on leaving, but most hospitals in the UK they don't let you take baby home with out a little hat on. 
  • Big second and third to thin pads! I had the huge thick ones last time, and they are so annoying if you are not used to that. You do not need extra bulk when everything is already swollen! Also, they'll probably provide this for you (and you'll take it home), but I got an extra little pack of Tucks and Dermaplast just in case. Lots of other good suggestions here too.

I didn't take a robe last time, but I will this time. Actually it's not a full robe but kind of a longish robe-y cardigan thing with a tie belt ("lounge wrap") from ON because it looked like it would be a good for hospital or after at home.

I didn't change into normal clothes until the next day after I showered, just gown up until then. I took some foldover yoga pants since I could unfold them up over my whole stomach, which was more comfortable at that point. It will be much colder this time, but I'll probably take something similar.

Me: 36  DH: 41
    DS: 07/03/11
    TTC #2: July 2016
    BFP: 4/19/17 EDD: 12/31/17
  • elcd458elcd458 member
    edited September 2017
    How physically large of a bag did you guys use? I worked part-time in a women's hospital not that long ago and saw everything from a plastic grocery bag to multiple huge suitcases.  Do you let DH pack stuff too or send him home every once in a while? 
  • Are there any restrictions on taking a shower after a c-section?  Would I still be able to shower at the hospital?
    About me:
    FET February 2017 ~BFN
    Team Blue X 2!
  • The first thing on the suggested hospital bag list that I was given during my maternity ward tour was popsicles or italian ice to eat during labor, since we're not supposed to eat solid food. 

Also, for anyone who takes daily medications, don't forget to pack a few days worth in your bag. 
  • @leilagphillips Oh my gosh, thank you, I probably would have forgotten to pack enough meds!!
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    TTC #1 since 12/2015
    BFP 4/4/17, EDD 12/4/17

Pregnancy Ticker

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• @leilagphillips I've seen a couple people talk about Popsicles, but how are you supposed to keep them frozen?! Most hospital rooms don't even have a mini fridge. 
    Me 29 I Him 26
    Married 4/22/16
    TTC 9/2015
    **TW**
    BFP 2/1/16 I MC 3/21/16 (11w)
    TTCAL 6/15/16
    BFP 3/23/2017 Team pink! Quinn Leigh EDD December 1, 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @ktcakes87 My hospital has a couple of communal fridges/freezers available in the delivery and post-partum areas specifically for ladies' popsicles and post-birth sushi and cold cut subs/grinders!

• @leilagphillips oooh that makes sense! Thanks! 
    Me 29 I Him 26
    Married 4/22/16
    TTC 9/2015
    **TW**
    BFP 2/1/16 I MC 3/21/16 (11w)
    TTCAL 6/15/16
    BFP 3/23/2017 Team pink! Quinn Leigh EDD December 1, 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• For those freaking out about forgetting something.  With DD I let DH sleep at home the second night.  He was getting crap sleep at the hospital and we have a dog at home that was missing us.  It was perfect because my water broke early so the car seat was still in the box and DH packed my bag while I stood dripping in the shower (not my finest moment).  So, on the 2nd night he got the car seat together, grabbed all of our going home stuff and made sure the house was ready for us.  I think we'll probably do the same thing again this time and that will take off some of the pressure of 'remembering everything'.

• @elcd458 last time, I took a carry-on suitcase size and had my stuff, a couple baby outfits (in case she puked/pooped on the one she was supposed to wear home), and some stuff for DH, but DH did not stay overnight in the hospital with me. We have a dog and a cat, and our dog at the time was not friendly to anyone but family (who don't live near us), so we couldn't have anyone else check in on him/take care of him. Plus I knew he would sleep better at home. This time, my mom is coming up (since we should know exactly when baby is arriving and we need someone to take care of DD, not just the pets), so maybe he will stay with me. 

@beary67 After your c-section, you'll still be stuck in bed while the epidural wears off (and you wear these crazy inflatable booties to make sure your circulation is ok). Once that wears off, they will let you get up and try to pee and take a shower. So, yes, you will shower in the hospital, but it won't be right away. Your nurse will help you as much as you need (or your partner). I had mine help me get dressed after, and I think I had either her or DH with me as I got in, to make sure I didn't slip, but I handled showering and most of the drying off on my own. 

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • @beary67, I had my c section at 4:00pm. I was up walking the halls by 4am. They wouldn’t let me take a shower until the next day. Uggggg it was torture. Plus the c section gave me hemorrhoids but I didn’t know that and thought I had dried blood in my bottom. Hahaha. I just wanted to shower. Oh and the spinal made me sooooo itchy. So my mom gave me a sponge bath. Haha. 32 years old and mommy bathed me.  :D
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @cait5413 and @dkizz82 ok, at least I feel better knowing I can shower the next day or so.  I wasn't sure if they would make you wait a few days and just do wound care because of the c-section!  What a relief! 

and @dkizz82 I've never had hemorrhoids, but now I'm terrified!   :#
    About me:
    FET February 2017 ~BFN
    Team Blue X 2!
  • @beary67 me either. That’s why I didn’t know what they were. It was awful. I guess it was the pressure from the c section because I had NO labor prior. I was taken to have c section at 38 week appointment. Anyway, that’s how I knew I was pregnant again. They were flared up. Hell, they are now. Im gonna have to get some witchhazel soon. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @dkizz82 omg this go around it's like hemorrhoid city over here. So glad it's not just me. I nearly bought some Tuck pads when I was at Target the other day...way too early for that!
  • @dkizz82 @skobb Ugh! *Creepy internet hugs* to both of you. I thought dealing with heartburn for the first time ever was awful, but I now realize that is nothing compared to hemorrhoids. Hope ya'll get some relief! 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    2 Dogs / 2 Cats 
    IUI #1 07/2016 BFN
    IUI #2 10/2016 BFN
    IUI #3 11/2016 BFN
    IVF #1 03/2017 - 23 Retrieved / 22 Fertilized / 11 at Day 3 / 1 Beautiful Embryo tf on Day 5 / 7 Frozen on Day 6 - Beta #1 4/5/17: 104 Beta #2 4/7/17 224
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @dkizz82  I've had hemorrhoids for years prepregnancy. Lucky me. So did the CS just jack up your urge to "go" and cause them as a result? Or did they just appear?  Sorry if a stupid question.  Genuinely want to know  :D  
  • dkizz82dkizz82 member
    edited September 2017
    @elcd458 I came out of numbness and they were there. It’s the weirdest thing ever. So when I say he c section gave thme
    to me, I mean it. He was pulling and tugging so hard, idk. Also I have know idea what’s was doing (unknowning) when I was under the spinal. But the second I got feeling back I told my husband I had dried blood and needed a shower. It took me a while to realize what it really was. I’m about to run to Walmart for some tucks wipes 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I also wayyyyyy overpacked with DD #1. This time, I'm packing very light. 

Toothbrush/toothpaste/mouthwash
    travel size shampoo/conditioner/bodywash
    hair brush, hair ties, face wipes, deodorant 
    Tums (because I'm not waiting for heartburn relief)
    chapstick and lotion. And my own towel!!
    Go home outfit (pants, shirt, shoes, socks, bra)
    Go home for DD2, a lite blanket

ipad, phone, portable charger AND longer cable for regular charger, wifi hotspot
    On the fence about the boppy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @splsmama2016 I'd take the boppy...even if you don't use it for nursing, it makes a comfy seat if you start hurting from sitting in the uncomfortable bed