January 2018 Moms
Options

UO 9/28

Share your UO's here so we can tell you how wrong you are...

Re: UO 9/28

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @libbberty It was both broad and narrow. But I agree with you, generally. There are a lot of variables in people's lives and some people have a much harder path than others. But like you said--it isn't a license to be a jerk. I have a family member who is the resilient, rise-above type. I don't know her entire story, but what I know of it is incredible and I admire her so deeply. But you're right about rising above being more attainable when you have a support system. 

On a more narrow basis, the day to day dramas and things that happen because you won't adult and get your stuff together? That's different. Connected in a way, but different. 
  • Options
    I hate the no-bra trend.
    There is a trend? How have I not seen this?!
    I HATE bras right now. But would feel so weird going without considering I’m at a DDD right now. 
  • Options
    I’m caught in the between thought of personal responsibility. 
    On one hand yes, the trials and circumstances in your life affect who you are as a person. But *abuse trigger warning*...
    Its shown that if you were abused and assulted as a child that you are more likely to do the same when you become an adult. 
    Okay, so. This is a thing that people say, but it's one of those times were fore-shortening an idea is twisty and sounds like one thing when it means another. People say this all the time -- and to an abused child (particularly to this abused child), it reads like prophecy and mantra: you're more damaged, and you're hard-wired to hurt a child. But it's not exactly accurate. The most accurate way to say this has already been said elsewhere:

The best available research suggests that 75% or more of those who commit acts of sexual or physical abuse against others were themselves abused as children. However, the research also indicates that: the vast majority of children who are sexually abused do not go on to abuse others.

Hang with me for a second here, because I'm not arguing from a place that assumes you meant anything else by what you said. I'm rather arguing on the off-chance that someone else is cruising through here and needs to hear that they are not hard-wired to abuse.

Because believing that I was fucked me up for a long time, and in terms of mental health issues, I spent a long time steeped in my own depression, convinced that I was an abusive time-bomb that couldn't be diffused. It was honestly the scariest and most difficult time of my life as a mother, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. (I mean, there were a lot of bad things going on there, and it's not like it was the only thing, but it was a Big and Terrifying thing. And being abused will forever color how safe I feel letting my kid out into the world.)

So hi, all you parents who were abused as children who have heard this statistic in a vacuum and let it eat at them. It's not that simple, and you're not fighting any sort of predestined abuse hardwired into you by a childhood of abuse. 

(Here's another link that's harder to read but has lots of statistics, if that's your thing.)
  • Options
    @caeilievalor I'm loving the 'no bra' trend! Especially now haha.