October 2016 Moms

September Randoms

For all the random things..
Related image
Image result for its raining meme

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: September Randoms

• High chair straps. WTF. They are the most filthy things on the planet and they second they come out of the wash they are right back to nasty as soon as baby eats their next meal. I give up.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm impressed that you still wash them, honestly. I spray them down with bleach water, rub them down with a rag, and go.
  • Loading the player...
  • Abigail slept UNINTERRUPTED from 10pm to 8 am. for the first time ever. It was the most incredible night of the last year hahah
    *American lady living in Tanzania.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior.
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB:November 19, 2013)
  • We are all sick  :'(.  Storm went to daycare for the first time ever last week and didn't last 2 days before catching a cold. Being sick with a sick baby is the worst thing in life. 
  • @Ladybug2821 Sorry everyone is under the weather. V and I have a cold right now too. Baby Vicks on the feet with socks was a lifesaver for me.
     How was the daycare drop off and how did she do there?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • This about sums it up for me right now
    Image result for measuring cough syrup meme

Image result for out of sick days meme

Pregnancy Ticker
  • brzvice said:
    @Ladybug2821 Sorry everyone is under the weather. V and I have a cold right now too. Baby Vicks on the feet with socks was a lifesaver for me.
     How was the daycare drop off and how did she do there?
    Yep been doing the Vicks and also taking her in a steamy bathroom. I think I'll be putting Vicks on my feet too tonight lol. Girlie cried her eyes out every time at drop off. They said she plays so I guess she does ok except for naps. The first day she didn't nap at all, second day she actually did take 2 naps (shorter than normal but still progress). Then today she took one short nap which I'm actually surprised at since she's not feeling well. At home she is used to a dark room and it being quiet. At daycare they don't even dim the lights. I'm actually stressing about our childcare situation. I'm starting to feel like my babysitter isn't dependable.  Long story short when H found out he was going to have his training for five weeks she wasn't available for three of them because she had already scheduled a vacation. Obviously that's not her fault so I had to find something else and luckily my job does offer back up day care. Problem is she was supposed to be able to watch S The last week of his training and all of a sudden last night tells us that she can't because her iron is too low.  She also has MS and I don't know how badly it can affect her as far as not being able to work. The good thing is after his training we will only need her Monday through Wednesday for a few hours in the afternoon. But I still feel like I need a back up too and I don't know anybody here that is available during the workday. I've gone on next-door and  googled anything I could think of and just don't know how to find somebody that we can get to know and get comfortable with. @brzvice I'm sure everyone is different but since you have experience with MS, in your honest opinion, should I be looking for someone else?

sorry guys that got super long. 
  • @Ladybug2821 I am healthy for the most part aside from some numbess/tingling and have never had severe symptoms. Low iron can effect anyone with or without MS and unless she is having an exacerbation of other symptoms that are MS related I think she would be able to work/babysit.
    I had low iron anemia when I was pregnant and yeah I was weak and tired but I definitely could have babysit/worked. She just may be one of those people who baby every symptom. If she has frequent health issues its probably a good idea to start looking for someone else. Sucks though especially if you and S just got comfortable with her. Maybe just use her as an on call basis and have a backup sitter.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @brzvice I'm loving all the memes haha 
    Sorry everyone is sick! I hope you all start feeling better!
    @kmolleltz Dude, I bet that seriously was the greatest night ever... FX for many more consistent ones to come!
    @ladybug2821 I agree with brzvice on the sitter situation. I know a handful of gals with MS- some you'd never know anything was wrong, others baby every symptom, like she said. So I'd also keep her as backup and find somebody more reliable if possible. 

On the childcare and MS topics: Jimmy and Johnny *may* be starting daycare soon so we can pull more hours at school, and my doc has been doing the MS vs Lupus dance,but today went back to leaning toward MS. Now I have to go through all the neurological stuff. Bleh.

So... Is anybody else super stoked about fall and Halloween? I can't stand how excited I am haha
  • @brzvice those memes killed me. Especially the last one hahaha.
    @allythekid well, so far it was only that one night and now we are back to multiple wake ups. It's slowly killing me. Haha
    Hope you get real answers soon! That must be so annoying (dr wise). 

My visa expires in like a week, though I have a one month grace period, and I am so stressed out about it because I am switching the type of visa I am on. I def should have thought about this more when I was in America but I just spaced it. Bleh. #expatproblems. 
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • I am actually excited for fall this year because it has been too hot for me and Storm. So I looking forward to less humidity and some cooler weather. Plus I can't wait to take Storm to a pumpkin patch and dress her up. I found 2 ladies that are interesting in babysitting. I'm going to work on meeting them asap so we have back ups. 
  • I've hardly left my state, much less the country so I don't know a thing about visas, but I hope you get it straightened out with no issues, and I really really hope Abigail starts STTN for you ASAP, I can't imagine what it must be like going an entire year nearly without any solid sleep whatsoever.... @kmolleltz

@ladybug2821 all of the fall/Halloween things are what I'm waiting for- sweaters, costumes, pumpkins, PICTURES! haha Awesome that there are two new prospective babysitters, that must be a relief. Other than anticipating the meeting period anyway.

Random of the evening: These Nutter Butter wafer cookies are the bomb. Spread some Nutella on them and they're heavenly. Confession: I'm just now climbing onto the Nutella bandwagon. I really have been missing out too.
  • I can't get into Nutella. We finally tried it a little while back and I wasn't a huge fan. I am counting down the days until I can eat chocolate again. Anyone else start the whole milk transition yet?  Since S is allergic to dairy we are doing coconut milk. I started a week earlier than planned because my supply tanked out of the blue. My plan is to add 1 oz per week. She drank her bottles fine the first day but since she's refusing. But she has also been refusing solids and I think it's because of the antibiotics. FX it's not because of the coconut milk. 
  • @Ladybug2821 I haven't started the milk transition yet and I'm not sure I'm going too. I'm still nursing and pumping and plan on going a little bit longer if it's ok with the pediatrician. Sometimes my LO will refuse solids all day then eat a ton the next! Kids are weird.
  • @ladybug2821 we started whole milk transition at 11 months. I was doing half and half (formula/milk) and now it's more like 1/3 formula. She has had no problems though, and is loving all the foods. She quit her porridge in favor of more real food. haha. 
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • Our pedi has had us giving Johnny milk since 9 months, but it always causes him to have the most foul smelling spit up, so I'll quit for a few weeks then start up again, but its always the same story. Cheese and yogurt make him spit up too, and dairy items are the ONLY things that make him spit up. I think we'll be doing an alternative as well. Jimmy drinks lactaid, but if he has too much he gets diarrhea. 
    What are the odds of both having a dairy intolerance? 
  • @AllyTheKid To me it makes sense that they both would have a dairy intolerance. Did you or SO have an intolerance as kids?  The allergist told us that allergies are more likely if parents had them. In our situation neither of us or anyone in our families have food allergies so it's weird. I'm still scared to give peanut butter since she is also allergic to eggs. I need to bite the bullet and do it because I really want to start giving her meals as opposed to purées. Is anyone else doing a better job than me at giving "real" meals?  
  • @ladybug2821 I think it all depends on the baby really, when it comes to real meals or purees. Abigail only did purees for a short time and then just started refusing them in favor of what everyone else was eating. But other babies love purees and gag on whole foods. Just start introducing things slowly. 
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • @kmolleltz S loves pretty much all foods and is really great at feeding herself. She hasn't gagged in forever. I'm the issue. I can't seem to execute it properly. My meal planning was going really well prior to the hurricane but it's been tough to get back into a routine. What kinds of meals are you giving Abigail? My own meals are lacking so I can't always give her what we are eating.
  • I'm still feeding purees because Johnny is an uncoordinated monster, and there seems to always be a new allergy :/

Oh, he walks now. He still has super stiff legs though and his Neuro just referred him to an Ortho. Boo. I was really hoping he was out of the woods on that one. Best case scenario, PT will help it. Worst case, he'll need leg braces. He has to go be fitted for braces tomorrow, we're waiting to find out when his leg MRI will be, then he'll start PT afterwards now that he is walking.
  • Ladybug2821Ladybug2821 member
    edited September 2017
    Yay for walking @AllyTheKid! Hopefully he just needs a little bit of PT and will be good to go. What else is he allergic to? S so far has the dairy allergy and is allergic to eggs. But I think she might be outgrowing the dairy allergy because I had cheese twice on a sandwich by accident and she was fine.

I think we'll do pretty good today meal wise. Breakfast was waffles, snack-graham crackers, lunch-purée, and dinner will be turkey breast chunks and tater tots.  Some days I just can't seem to get the timing right for her to have 2 snacks. 
  • @allythekid hopefully just a little PT will help him out. Some kids just walk really awkward at first/takes them a little bit longer to have the "flow" to it. Hoping for the best outcome for you guys.

@ladybug2821 Honestly our foods choices aren't huge here in Tanzania. She probably doesn't get as much variety as she could but she is always just interested in whatever anyone else is eating. She loves meat, which I think is hilarious. But I hear you on routine issues. She stays with my MIL during the day so she eats typical Tanzanian foods (starch, meat, veggies-sauce) and so when she's home I try to add fruits and yogurt. Plus she takes milk at nap times and at night. 
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • @Ladybug2821 Mine also prefers real food and has since about 7 months. She typically eats an egg muffin (egg whites, cheese, bell pepper, tomato, deli meat, ground mustard, breast milk, and pepper) for breakfast with some tomatoes and cheese. Followed by raspberries and blueberries.

snack is fruit, veggies, cheese, melties, whatever we have on hand.

lunch is either leftovers, PB and J, or steamed veggies.

dinner is typically whatever we eat. Tonight we are having bell pepper pizzas which she loves (just lean ground beef, pizza sauce, and bell pepper as the crust) so she'll eat those as leftovers for the next few days as well! 

We are lucky that she doesn't have any allergies and loves all foods. 
  • @fitlady21 I wish we weren't dealing with these allergies. It would be so much easier if I could give her eggs and cheese. I also want to be able to give her pb&j since it's an easy lunch. I think I'm going to introduce this weekend. 

On another topic, we met with a potential babysitter who seemed like she would be great and S liked her. But then when I texted her my email for her references, she said she couldn't work for us. I have no idea what happened. Guess she didn't like us. At this point I'm just going to have to suck it up and pay care.com to find some back up options. It was just so weird. S HATES daycare. I'm sure it's normal but this is her third (and hopefully last) week and she still cries like crazy. She's also been refusing bottles. Luckily she is still eating solids but then my BM is getting dumped down the drain because they only keep for an hour. I thought it was because of the coconut milk but she drank a bottle on the way home from daycare with no issues. 
  • I found my nanny on care.com and she was amazing!! She has since moved but recommended a friend so it all worked out. I hated spending the money but it was well worth it.

@Ladybug2821 I will also cook soup (like taco soup) and add tons of beans and just drain the juice and let my LO eat that. She loves it! Bonus.. you can make a double batch and put some in the freezer for an easy couple days of meals.
  • @fitlady21 On care.com, can I just pay for a month membership and contact as many people as I want?
  • @Ladybug2821 Yep! That's what I did. You have to place an add so you will get a ton of people contacting you that you wouldn't necessarily want watching your child. I just always emailed back that I wasn't interested and sent messages to people after I read their profile and thought they were a good fit. I then messaged back and forth with the candidate, did a phone interview, met her in a coffee shop with my LO and husband, then let her come to the house. I paid her to watch LO a few hours while I was there at the house so I could watch them interact and answer questions. I also asked for references and called them as well as had my dad (police enforcement) do a background check. 

Then the first few days she watched my LO I had my husband randomly pop in to make sure all was well. Might be a little overkill but doing all of that made me feel at peace with it! Plus my LO started acting super excited to see her in the morning which helped.
  • @fitlady21 Thanks!  I will probably do that and get a few candidates because I want at least 2 back up people. H will actually be home during the time we need, but will be working and not able to leave his desk. S is good with our normal babysitter. I'm just worried we can't depend on her like we should. I also thought care.com did the background checks ahead of time?
  • @Ladybug2821 I think you can pay extra to see their background check. 
  • Love all the food ideas. Sounds like all our little bugs are eatin' darn good. 

@Allythekid keep us posted on Johnny, and your health too of course. Praying for you both.

@Ladybug2821 fx that S has no issues with the new foods being introduced. I also am stuck in arut of what to give V that I know she will eat. I'm going to try everyone's suggestions, they sound great. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've decided I'm just going to jump in there and wing it with solids for Johnny. No whole milk, whole grains or acidic fruit, use discretion, and he should do fine. 

Good news! They're holding off on braces and doing PT/Observation for three months since he just started walking in hopes being actively mobile will correct the muscle stiffess and increase his range of motion :)

Also, stud muffin is officially a One-Year-Old today!
  • Happy Birthday Johnny boy! May your year ahead be full of milestones and joyous giggles.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • JW if any of the other littles have an obvious favorite toy, book, object or comfort item ?

The past few weeks I've noticed V really carrying around a pink stuffed kitty (by the tail) and her afghan. I suspect Baby girl is going to have a blankie and animal attachment as she grows.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @brzvice Mine loves all baby dolls! She'll drag them around, hug them, pat them, and give sugars. There's one that she especially likes and we started letting her sleep with it 2 weeks ago and now she's sleeping through the night!
  • S is obsessed with books. She loves turning the page herself. But besides a paci, she doesn't carry anything around. 

I guess im starting the weaning process also since I'm starting milk. I'm adding an oz so that by the time she is 1 it will be all milk. But what do I do with my pumping?  I'm brining home More than I need now so I guess I could go from 3 down to 2 sessions?  I'll still nurse in her morning and at bedtime but then when can I drop those?
  • @Ladybug2821 I would space out the pumpkin before just completely dropping a session. If you pump every 3 hours, space it out every 4 until you don't feel anymore then maybe one session ever 5 hours. 

Im still pumping and nursing but only pumping twice a day. Once around 9 and the second session around 1 and I nurse LO when I get home between 3-4.
  • @ladybug2821 I dropped pumping "cold turkey" pretty much, and only pumped a little bit if I felt super engorged. I wouldn't recommend that at all though, I was just in such a hurry to make my nipples stop hurting :s I think @fitlady21 gave awesome advice.

I finally get this stupid Nexplanon implant out of my arm today!!! I have never been so excited about going back to birth control pills. 

• @AllyTheKid Sounds weird because I thought about you the other day. My periods have been so wacky. This month it "ended" 7 days ago, but I've still been spotting every day since. It sucks and can't imagine dealing with that every month. 
  • I still haven't gotten my period yet! LO has been sleeping through the night for 10 days now so it should be coming right?
  • Maybe @fitlady21. I've had mine since about 4 months pp and it has sucked. I was very surprised I got mine so early because I was EBF at the time.