May 2018 Moms

Super Early, Super Unnecessary, Baby name thread

Re: Super Early, Super Unnecessary, Baby name thread

• abhphillyabhphilly member
    edited September 2017
    @sparkymcgeee Yeah, that's why I was surprised it was mentioned in so many people's replies to this post! I check the BabyCenter rankings for all my name choices.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • abhphilly said:
    @sparkymcgeee Yeah, that's why I was surprised it was mentioned in so many people's replies to this post! I check the BabyCenter rankings for all my name choices.
    I always go straight to the SS registry. Which is where I'm sure babycenter pulls it. I just think if you like it, you should use it. It's a classic name and not in the top ten. I hate when parents pick a unique name just to be unique. It follows the child. Its not just about the parents. Pick a classic name and no one side eyes the name when the kid is an adult. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • @sparkymcgeee Yeah, all of our name choices are classic.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't do SS top 100 because it feels like anything top 100 could move up to top 10 in a short number of years. Take Sophia for example, moved from 42 to #1 in just 10 years! I want my kid to be herself not "one of the Sophia's"

• Girls names we like are Cecelia (Cece) and Eleanor (Norie, Nori, Nory?).  Not a fan of Ella or Ellie which is causing me to rethink Eleanor.  Boys name we like is Sullivan (Sully).  I am a big fan of nicknames, my sister and I going by our nicknames and not our original ones.  DS is Oliver (Ollie) but now I'm rethinking Sully with them being so close.  DH has a presidential name and we had wanted Theodore (Teddy) but I know a lot of boys named that here recently.  
  • @cups4, I agree with avoiding the Ollie and Sully sibset, it's a mouthful.  The nn thing is tough for me, because I do like nicknames most of the time, but MH is set on Patrick, and I HATE all the nns associated.  If anyone calls him Pat or Patty or Ricky, I'll lose it.  It really makes me not want to use the name, but MH has had it picked out since before we met, so if this is a boy, I think I'm stuck.  

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP June 2013- blighted ovum, D&C Aug 2013
    BFP Oct 2013- twins!  A&H born May 2014
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• @sandbar517 same. Ted is what stopped us from using Theodore last time
  • @sparklingdiamond I also love the name Isla. I've seen it spelled Ayla as well.
  • @nanifrog Oh that is pretty too and wouldn't be as likely to be mispronounced!
    1. If you were to have any name your heart desired for your baby what would it be? And why won't you use it? I love the name Knox but my best friend came up with it first. 
    2. Now give the realistic choices you might actually end up with? For a boy: Briggs Isaiah, a girl Jade Elizabeth. 
    3. What style of names do you like? I like names that aren't overused. Unique but not made up. 
    4. If you're comfortable sharing your other children's names what are they? Do you have a sibset in mind? FTM!!
  • @kcp914 That's cool! dh HATES the names Bob and Bobby which is part of the reason I'm against a jr. 
    @ivyvines6 Not pagan, but half Danish.  Funny enough, my cousin who is full blooded Danish is  pagan, but she's Druidic, or whatever the word is for someone who follows Druid beliefs.  What are your main gods/beliefs?
    @heelsidehero Not sure if DH will go for it, but I LOVE the meaning.
    Jana Lynn
     Happily married since 5/24/2015  Momma of a baby Viking since 4/16, expecting #2 in 5/18
  • @crazyliblady yeah, the Bob thing is definitely not a serious nickname and only used occasionally among family. We get a good chuckle, but definitely do not like the name Bob as a "real" nickname. 

• @kpc914 I would pronounce it "a" luh as well. 
  • cups4 said:
    @sandbar517 same. Ted is what stopped us from using Theodore last time

****Stuck in box***
    Ted nearly ended Theodore for us, but we just insist on Theo.   Who knows what he'll decide on later,  but for now,  no one is calling our kid Ted (or Teddy)
    kpc914 said:
    @crazyliblady i love the middle name robert. My uncle is William Robert, his son is Kyle Robert, and kyle's son is James Robert. Their playful nicknames are Billy Bob, Kyle Bob, and Jim  Bob. For the longest time growing up i never understood the Bob in Kyle Bob came from lol.
     My dad is William Robert! We jokingly call him "Billy Bob" too  :D

Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers photo 401ba615-b560-419d-8272-b89fb96034ec.pngphoto sushilovers.png

• kpc914 said:
    @crazyliblady i love the middle name robert. My uncle is William Robert, his son is Kyle Robert, and kyle's son is James Robert. Their playful nicknames are Billy Bob, Kyle Bob, and Jim  Bob. For the longest time growing up i never understood the Bob in Kyle Bob came from lol.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers photo 401ba615-b560-419d-8272-b89fb96034ec.pngphoto sushilovers.png

• @kpc914 I also thought it was "a" luh then thought I was always saying Isla wrong 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @kpc914 DS's middle name is Robert. 
  • I knew an Ayla she pronounced it A-luh. 
  • @mileswithmyles Myles Bob!! haha but, in all seriousness. I really like Robert as a middle name
  • kpc914 said:
    @sparklingdiamond and @nanifrog I actually would think that Isla is easier to pronounce correctly than Ayla. But, maybe that's because I am familiar with the name Isla. When I ready Ayla I think hard "a" Luh. (Basically Kayla without the K). Whereas Isla I think of Eye Luh. 

although, admittedly, this is probably because I know how to pronounce Isla and my name is Kayla. lol
    Completely agree with this
  • Isla is pronounced like island. I love that name but SO would hate it because he wouldn't remember how to pronounce it, or spell it...

@crazyliblady I think Druidic is right... This would be a great GTKY thread some day! I'm actually agnostic, but I spent a lot of time studying pagan beliefs, and Wicca, but I raised in a Christian household. I spent a lot of time trying to make the pagan thing fit, but it doesn't. My SO still jokes with me and calls me a witch. We're incorporating handfasting into our wedding as well, but outside of burning sage it's not real for me. I'd followed the Norse pantheon better than the Grecian, roman, or Egyptian pantheons, and for a while had looked to one female figure and male figure (if you don't know a lot about how fluid paganism is this is super confusing, so sorry if that is the case) But yeah. Freya gets shot down every time we discuss names.
    1. If you were to have any name your heart desired for your baby what would it be? And why won't you use it? I love Ruth/Ruthie for a girl but DH thinks it's an old lady name. I love Casey for a boy.
    2. Now give the realistic choices you might actually end up with? Oh my gosh, the only bad part about having another girl (aside from being even later everywhere we go) would be choosing a name. We had SUCH a hard time with DD2.
    3. What style of names do you like? We like Gaelic names.
    4. If you're comfortable sharing your other children's names what are they? Do you have a sibset in mind? DD1 Keela (traditional spelling is Cadhla but we couldn't do that to her) and DD2 is Ainsley.
  • kpc914 said:
    @sparklingdiamond and @nanifrog I actually would think that Isla is easier to pronounce correctly than Ayla. But, maybe that's because I am familiar with the name Isla. When I ready Ayla I think hard "a" Luh. (Basically Kayla without the K). Whereas Isla I think of Eye Luh. 

although, admittedly, this is probably because I know how to pronounce Isla and my name is Kayla. lol
    Completely agree with this
    It's funny cause there's a Hebrew name that is pronounced "Kayla - k" and sometimes people spell it Ayla. We were going to use out for DD2, but I kept setting it as an alternative for Isla so I thought it would be too confusing.
  • Kaidence isn't so bad, but that other poor babe. Woof. She got the short end of the stick on that one. 
  • bwow615 said:
    Kaidence isn't so bad, but that other poor babe. Woof. She got the short end of the stick on that one. 
    Kaidence isn't so bad? I think it's dreadful! 
  • lol @Ceridwen77 when you look at the two together, I mean cadence is actually a name, the spelling of kaidence makes me smh, but that other name is not a name.  well now it is apparently.  
  • I've always wanted to name my son Clint.. my husband hates it. He wants to name our son (if we have one) Todd.. which I don't exactly hate, but it's out there for me. Reminds me of Fox and the Hound:D 

I really don't have any names for a girl. Our daughter is Rose, which we BARELY agreed on and kind of settled with. Oh well, waddya do?!
  • Oh, and a friend of mine named her two boys Broley and Rylan. Just putting that out there..
  • Oh, and a friend of mine named her two boys Broley and Rylan. Just putting that out there..

Tell me everyone calls him "bro!"
    She moved to Alaska after having him, so I don't know. But I'm guessing they probably do!
  • When I hear the name Todd I think of the kid in breaking bad, freaking Todd. Random I know.