Toddlers: 24 Months+

Ready to wean 26 month old

Im ready to wean my daughter but have no idea how to do it. She is so attached to her "booby milk." I feel mean telling her no. I know sometimes I don't have much milk anymore because she will say "fill it up" or "all gone" so hoping she might get tired of nursing without getting milk but she's persistent! I've been trying to prep her with "you're a big girl now so mommy doesn't have much booby milk. Booby milk is for babies." And trying to limit how often we nurse, usually just morning and before bed but sometimes will before nap or middle of the night if she wakes. What are your suggestions for gently weaning at this age? Whomever has weaned a toddler, how hard was it for you and your child? I'm not good at hearing her cry so trying to avoid that if at all possible.

Re: Ready to wean 26 month old

• I haven't weaned yet and my son turns 3 in Nov. 

I've been told by a lactation consultant that you can go one of two ways - 1) say you're done, have the last session and go cols turkey. 

2) distraction distraction distraction - LO wants to nurse?  See if she will play her favorite game or read her favorite book instead. Sometimes I can hold my son off by this trick. He will want to nurse and I offer a small peice of candy instead, which is much more appealing and he forgets the nurse session or delays it a few hours. 

Cut her favorite session LAST. Gotta have that bedtime boob? Keep that session for now and find another time to eliminate. Typically first mornings and last thing at night are the last ones to go. 

Hope this helps.