November 2017 Moms

How big is your hospital bag??

I feel like my hospital bag is huge... It's a larger size rolling suitcase. I feel like I haven't over packed when I actually open it up... I just don't want to seem silly coming in with this giant thing that looks like I want to live there for weeks, but I'm only taking this 1 bag for all of us. I have a coming home outfit for me, change of clothes for dh, and 2 coming home outfits for baby, bathroom things, (toothbrush, chapstick, ect) my phone charger, few snacks and my boppy pillow (yes it fits in there) with some room to spare to take anything extra when I leave. 

So how big is your hospital bag? Am I going to look silly? What are some must have things to take?

Re: How big is your hospital bag??

• One regular sized backpack with things for me and the baby and likely one canvas bag with miscellaneous things, but we live in a small town and the hospital is 10 minutes away, so we don't need to pack a million things or really anything for DH. Also, the hospital will provide a medium sized canvas bag for any extras that I steal from them.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Mine is a weekender bag.  At least it is for now. I'm not done packing.
  • Loading the player...
  • If you want to know more there is a hospital bag thread already where the ladies have listed what is packed. 
  • I'll probably use my Vera Bradley weekender duffle bag and diaper bag for baby things. That worked well last time.
  • I haven't planned yet but usually a beach bag size for me and diaper bag for the baby. My big camera is separate. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have a weekender bag. I got everything in travel size and only one change of clothes for me so I'll have some room to bring things home from the hospital. I'll pack SO stuff in the same size bag.

• @Rhaco I wouldn't necessarily worry about the size of your bag as long as your comfortable with it and feel like you haven't overpacked. I'm sure the hospital staff has seen worse lol. You will be bringing home extra things (besides baby of course :) ) so if they fit in your bag, then the less extra you will have to carry. 

• Planning on it being a carry-on sized suitcase. I'm with littlemissc17, don't worry about it. You won't be the first woman to bring in a full size suitcase, I can almost promise you that! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Don't forget nail files, ladies! Many babies are born with sharp nails and will scratch themselves when not protected by amniotic fluid. My hospital doesn't allow the nurses to cut their nails. Clippers aren't recommended for a while since the skin under their nails is still attached and they can bleed. I watched my twin cry after she did it to my niece.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • I was so scared to mess with my kids' nails! I just threw those little mittens or put socks on them until I could clip them. I never thought of filing them, though. Good advice! 
  • Just going to bring a duffel-sized bag. All I need is pajamas, toiletries, a going-home outfit for me and for him, and reading material. The hospital will provide tons of pads and that sort of thing.

(by the way, re: the nail file - I always used baby nail clippers for DD, actually I still have and use those clippers - way faster than using a file and I don't have to worry about abrading her skin)
    Pregnancy Ticker