Baby Names

Too many 'P's?

edited September 2017 in Baby Names
We really like the name Penelope for a girl, but we've kept it off our short list because our last name has two P's in and is pronounced "Pah-pen-ee"

We like the two names on our list, Rosalie and Juliet, but just aren't sold on them. Penelope, with Penny as a nickname is a name we adore, however.

Is there just too much P sound going on there? Other suggestions?

Re: Too many 'P's?

• My DD is Giada and our last name starts with G. So I'm not always against it. However sometimes it works better than others. Unfortunately with your surname it sounds very much like a character name and kinda cheesy. I love love love Rosalie though! 

Also suggest

Vivian
    Anastasia
    Hannah
    Theresa
    Celeste
    Corrine
    Flora

• It's not that it sounds bad together, it's just very sing-songy, and you do really hear a lot of P sound. I like Rosalie, but if you aren't loooving it then there is another name out there somewhere! (But I'm terrible at suggestions) 
    Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
    BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
    TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
    BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds like too many p's for me.  I love Rosalie and also like Juliet. Other names in that style:

Cecilia
    Delilah
    Ophelia
    Beatrice
    Natalie

• I wouldn't rule out all P names but it sounds like Penny would be incredibly close to your last name. So I personally would avoid...

i really like Rosalie and Juliet ... suggestions: Ruby, Scarlett, Audrey, Clementine, Violet, Lydia, Lorelei, Josephine, Georgia, Eloise... like suggestion of Anastasia. 
  • I dont think that a P name would necessarily be too much with your last name, but Penelope definitely is.  And if you did name her Penelope and called her Penny, the name Penny "Pah-pen-ee" is even more ridiculous.  It would still sound silly, but I do think that you could get away with Penelope as a middle name if you couldn't stand tossing it out completely.   Other ideas:

Adrienne 
    Camille 
    Catherine (nn Kate)
    Celia
    Claire
    Claudette
    Corinne 
    Elisabeth 
    Esme
    Esther
    Helena
    Iris
    Jacqueline 
    Jillian 
    Juliana 
    Lucia
    Margot 
    Raena
    Renata
    Therese

• Sorry I agree, Penelope Pah-pen-ee is alot of Ps and is very sing songy. I think Juliet is a beautiful name. And you have some great suggestions above. I feel your struggle, I love the name Claire but it rhymes with our last name so it is out of the question. Maybe we can get pets to use our favorite names on!
  • I wouldn't do any names that end in the long E sound simply because your last name does and it doesn't flow well. Juliet is a lovely name and the best option here.
  • Way too matchy for me.

Love Juliet!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Our last name starts with a "P" and we just wrote off all "P" names because of the initials. I do know people who have given their children the PP initials though and I'm sure it's fine.