May 2018 Moms
Options

IIFYM/Macro Counting/MFP

Does anyone else use My Fitness Pal to track macros/calories? I have lost quite a bit of weight since February (over 40 pounds!) and I want to watch what I'm eating this time more closely. Not to lose weight or restrict calories, just to make better choices. 

If you're PG and using macros, how did you decide during pregnancy what the goals should look like? I have premium My Fitness Pal (MFP) and can set my goals to the gram, so I'm open to a tool if you have one you've used that helped you determine the grams. 

Any fellow IIFYM/macro counters- any advice is appreciated! 
TIA!! 
Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

Re: IIFYM/Macro Counting/MFP

• Options
    Ah, I'm not really calorie counting OR macro counting, but last pregnancy I tried to eat as much protein as possible, and ate as much fat as I wanted.  I ate a lot of string cheese sticks.  By a week after birth, I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight.

What does IIFYM stand for? Google's just offering me a bunch of calculators ATM.

• Options
    If it fits your macros. 

I'm still eating low carb/keto, but don't really track closely. Only time I really track is if I'm not sure about something and need to look it up. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    IIFYM: If it fits your macros... basically, you set macro goals and try to eat within them. It isn't strict. Some places call it "flexible dieting". I just am afraid if I get out of the habit that I won't pick it back up later. 

• Options
    IIFYM actually sounds perfect for pregnancy!  Have you thought about asking your doctor for a referral to see a nutritionist?  They can tell you what macros to aim for - they're going to push low sugar, low fat, high protein, high calcium (dairy), low-mercury fish, and greens. My only advice would be not to be shy of fat, because I've read that it's much better for you than sugar but keeps you full longer, which is great for pregnant ladies.  If you're really into keeping trim during pregnancy, though, a nutritionist could help give you a sane idea of how far to take it and how worrying any weight gain can be.  If you're already a healthy weight, they may not encourage much restricting.  Good luck!

• Options
    Shima42 said:
    IIFYM actually sounds perfect for pregnancy!  Have you thought about asking your doctor for a referral to see a nutritionist?  They can tell you what macros to aim for - they're going to push low sugar, low fat, high protein, high calcium (dairy), low-mercury fish, and greens. My only advice would be not to be shy of fat, because I've read that it's much better for you than sugar but keeps you full longer, which is great for pregnant ladies.  If you're really into keeping trim during pregnancy, though, a nutritionist could help give you a sane idea of how far to take it and how worrying any weight gain can be.  If you're already a healthy weight, they may not encourage much restricting.  Good luck!
    IIFYM has been a game changer for me. I feel better, I eat better, and I'm more accountable for the nutrients my body needs. I will ask about the nutritionist angle. Now that you mention it, I think my OB has an on-staff nutritionist. I've always just used the trainer I have, but I don't trust her to help with establishing pregnancy macros. Thanks!

• Options
    I usually do Keto but I literally can't stomach anything right now. I'm surviving on toast and occasional sandwiches. As soon as I feel better I'm getting back into it.