January 2018 Moms

Re: Monday Bitchfest

• Loading the player...
  • It's still upper 90s here all week @gusgus14. I just have to be happy with the cool mornings for a few more months. I can remember wearing shorts on Christmas before
  • I'ts been like that in KC too! I hear it's supposed to rain today and then be in the 60's/70's for a few days though so I'm pumped!

Together Let Us Seek the Heights

• I’m in Florida and get one week of winter per year. And by one week of winter I mean temperatures in the 50’s, usually in January. Otherwise it’s 80-90 degrees and soooo humid and awful. If I ever moved away from Florida it would be because of the weather. I absolutely hate it. It was over 100 degrees yesterday at the peak according to my car thermostat. :-/
  • @missblaze - I want to go apple picking but can't figure out when to go! We're spending the first weekend of November in NC though so we'll probably just wait and go then. We probably won't do much actual apple picking at that point but the cider doughnuts and frozen cider are my favorite part anyway. 
  • Now I have a work related one. We're having some sort of network issue and I can't get into my contracts folder which is where my entire job lives so basically I have to just sit here and twiddle my thumbs. I could be at home sleeping or cleaning or packing up the old craft room and office to prep for new floors but nope, I have to just sit here and wait with no idea how long it will take to get resolved. Can't go home because I'd have to take PTO. What a waste of a morning. 
  • @JuliaGoolia719 I have been stalking the weather for a week, and as far out as they've predicted, today is supposed to be the last day it gets really warm -- then it'll finally hit 70s and some 60s. I'm stoked to be able to open my windows and cool off the house at night again, after being teased by fall weather for a few weeks. 

My complaining for today is all about how I have two online classes that have started today, and neither has sent out any emails with a syllabus or even a, "Hey, you start this class today, everything will be up later." The classes are open in our online system and just utterly empty. I'm hoping something will pop up at least before I go to class tonight because I want to start to feel out the workload. 
  • Why is apartment living so expensive? I'm starting to look around and get on wait lists and it's just depressing. Plus there's my fear that we'll never be able to afford a house and it's the worst. 
  • It's our busiest week of the month and both of my employees called in today.... UGH!! So this already stressed out mama is stuck doing 3 people's job this Monday!
  • @ajolly932 - they were generous and got us a wedding gift. not particularly something that DH and I would have chosen for ourselves (a casserole/baking dish) and I think I've used it once in the 3 years we've been married, but it's a nice gift. They mostly behaved themselves at the wedding also (they were expecting for their son - DH's best man - to basically cater to their every need the entire day of the wedding, when it was obvious that he had other important things to do! lol) But I've always considered baby showers to be a lot more intimate than a wedding shower or wedding, so i was pretty taken aback when i heard that they were expecting to be invited to this one too...oy!
  • BFM update: I do in fact have an ear infection. Mashed potato and toilets not involved. Feeling so bad at work I want to sit here and cry, but I have no sick time available so I have to suck it up until I can pick up my antibiotics on the way home. 
  • @auntieraindrop - oh, ear infections are the worst!! i used to get them alllll the time as a child, luckily i finally outgrew them! Hope the antibiotics work and you feel better soon!
  • @caseyw8784 that just sucks. Since today is the day RSVPs are due I wouldn't worry about it personally. I think you are fine to not invite them and if your MIL was worried about it, then she should have come to ask you sooner if you would be okay inviting them. If they say anything, I would just respond that you were trying to keep the numbers down or didn't want them to feel obligated to give a present if they couldn't attend. At this point, they might still complain if they find out the RSVP was due today. If you do decide to invite them, maybe have your SIL or MIL give them a phone call or in-person invitation, that way it puts it on them and you don't have to deal with it.

Similar to your situation: I'm worried about potentially having to invite my SIL's parents to our co-ed baby shower/party because they just moved in with my brother and SIL (terrible idea in my opinion). Also, my SIL is helping my mom with hosting my baby shower. I don't want to invite them but worry that someone will ask me to and then it's the risk of offending my SIL, who I already have a fragile relationship with. I didn't invite them to my wedding so I'm hoping no one asks. I also worry that my SIL's mom might try to sabotage it in some way (she has done this with my family's holidays in the past -trying to double book them, make them leave early, or do something to delay my brother's family from joining us). The party is going to be in November so we are getting invites out this week (I'm really behind on this and my parents were out of town the last two weeks so my mom hasn't been here to keep on me to prepare a guest list).
  • @ryannenikole that is weird that she pays attention to your Facebook activity to notice a decrease. Do you work weekends? Sounds like boundaries need to be established but that is difficult when she's your boss.
  • @kelk5 I don't unless we have a seminar in a Saturday. I taught her kids voice and piano at a studio years ago and we ended up friends on FB, which is how I heard that she and her husband needed help in their office. It has been really great up until this summer and things just shifted. She has some health issues and that is a big part of why she hasn't been around. So I've actually been trying to be sensitive to that, even though flying solo in the office is hard sometimes. Her husband is a financial planner and we are admins. So the bulk of the day to day research for clients, paperwork, etc falls to me. I even busted my butt to make certain that our client information got transferred from one software program to our new one (something she made a huge deal of when she has been in). It's hard, but I've tried to be sensitive about it and as it turns out she decided I was being disrespectful this whole time. As soon as we can afford it, I'm going part time. This has just become too stressful. That's sad because I really enjoy my job (and they are letting me bring the baby to work, which is awesome) but she's just made it really frustrating and I don't feel like I can say anything because of her health issues. 
  • Man I am all over this thread today but it's just been one of those days. I'm annoyed with myself because I misplaced a lab bill when I was cleaning the house before my friend's shower. It's like the thing has completely disappeared and I need the invoice number to pay it online. I decided I'd just call the lab to see if they could give me the invoice number and the wait time is 9 minutes! I hung up because I just don't have the time or patience. I'll just look at the house again tonight and if I still can't find it I'll call tomorrow and deal with a long wait time if I have to. But not today. Not today.
  • @caseyw8784 it's the second ear infection I've had this pregnancy. I'm pretty unhappy with that. 
  • MBF is me, because I am an idiot and should have known better. I took a leap and commented on my aunt's FB post about the whole NFL kneeling mess. Now one of my cousins is disagreeing with me, which I could deal with, except she keeps jumping around and arguing points that I didn't make, and it feels like she's just yelling slogans at me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• @ryannenikole, that sounds frustrating. It's hard when someone has health issues and you're trying to be sensitive and helpful but find out they don't see it that way. I hope you are able to go part-time soon. Hang in there.
  • @auntieraindrop Ugh, sorry to hear about the ear infection. I was put on antibiotics a week and a half ago for an ear infection too. I was absolutely miserable. They are seriously the worst! 
  • schaze said:
    Why is apartment living so expensive? I'm starting to look around and get on wait lists and it's just depressing. Plus there's my fear that we'll never be able to afford a house and it's the worst. 
    I feel this feel on such a deep level.
  • @schaze Renting is the worst. I hated having to live in an apartment as I felt we were throwing money down the drain. We managed to scrap together the necessary funds to buy a house this past April, but until then, I was seriously concerned DH and I would end up raising our kids in an apartment. 
  • @bainidhedub this is almost me. My mother just posted about it on Facebook and it’s taking all my willpower to not say something. We’ve had a strained relationship until 2 years ago and we have always been opposites in our political views so it’s not surprising how she feels. It’s still frustrating. 

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @supercoolstephy It's just frustrating because like, I know there are plenty of people who disagree with me, and I don't have any expectations of changing their minds with a FB post, but I'm still usually willing to have a discussion and try to understand each other's views. But this cousin, and her brother and his wife too, always seem ready to duke it out except they make no fucking sense and I can't even have a conversation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• @schaze @scatteringashes

I haven't told our landlord we're pregnant yet. Technically I don't have to under our state law. He's... a jerk, and I don't want to deal with it. 
  • @auntieraindrop The only reason our office manager knows is because we needed pest control in, and gave them the laundry list of considerations (old cat, asthmatic child, pregnant lady). That said, I don't dislike our office. They can be a little flaky but tend to get the important stuff done.
  • @scatteringashes I may never mention it. We're month to month, it's illegal for him to discriminate based on family status, and we're way under occupancy restrictions for the property (it's a 5 bedroom house, with currently 4 occupants. Legally we could have 10: 2 per bedroom. The landlord could legally object to more roommates, but not to children under the occupancy limit.)
  • @auntieraindrop I love our landladies-they are so super nice and love DD, so they were super excited for us when we told them we were having another. I wouldn't think that you would have to tell your landlord though, especially if you're way under the restrictions!