Baby Names

Ryan for a girl?

MattelMattel member
edited September 2017 in Baby Names
Thoughts? I would like to use my grandmothers name. We knew her as Grandma Ryan but her first name was Barbara, also my moms name. I very much dislike Barbara and wouldn't use it. My older daughter is Reese Madeline so I'm thinking Ryan is more along that same unisex line and paired with a longer more feminine middle name might make a nice sibset? Middle name ideas? 

Me (33). DH (37). DD (2.2012). MCs x4. After 4 years & 7 months, due 4.2018!

Re: Ryan for a girl?

• Strongly hate Ryan on a girl sorry. Reese is far more unisex than Ryan 

• Loading the player...
  • Reese is much more feminine to me than Ryan. I love Ryan for a boy, so I don't like that it is becoming one of the popular boy names on girls (like James which I also love for a boy). It would be fine as a middle with a feminine first name.  
  • I prefer Ryan for a boy, but I like the meaning it has to you and I think it does go well with Reese. I'd go for.
  • I mean, use it if you love it. It's definitely being used as a girl's name here and there. It's NMS, I would second other people's suggestion of using it as a middle name. I'm also in the camp that doesn't love siblings to have the same initial, so it's really just a stylistic choice. 

Can't blame you for not wanting to use Barbara! 
  • I'd middle name it. 
  • saham07saham07 member
    edited September 2017
    Ryan is not unisex
    What is your Grandmas middle name?
    P.S. Barbara is adorable and under used.
    Suggesting Rianna or Rayna
  • I have a friend with the name she spells it Ryann, I think it's awesome and pretty! Go for it!!!!!
  • Grandma's mn was Helen. Another name I don't like at all. 

• I don't like Ryan for girls because it means little king. And humans tie king and queen to gender, not just rank/title. 

Behind the name does have Ryanne as a feminine variant, but the pronunciation is different.

I think it's fine use grandma's surname as an honor name, but I'd still use it in the middle, especially if your older daughters first name is not an honor name. Reese and Ryan I personally find too matchy of a sibset too.
  • nanner26nanner26 member
    edited September 2017
    I like Madeline Ryan. Reese and Maddy are cute together. 
  • I know a girl named Rylan.
    Me: 30 H: 30
    Dx: PCOS
    Married: June 2013
    TTC#1: January 2015
    BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
    BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
    TTC#2: June 2017
    BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18
  • My grandma Barbara was one one of my favorite people on the planet, but I hate her name!! So I feel ya there.

I think that Ryan has become common enough on a girl that it's really not too out there, especially because it has meaning to you.

Some people may think you are trying to be trendy, but if you love it- use it! 

I think it pairs fine with Reese.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • My maiden name was Ryan. I gave it to my 2nd daughter. It fits her perfectly. We call her Ry-Ry or just Ry as a nick name. Almost everyone I have met loves it. If they don't, who cares? Ryan and Reese are cute together. It has family significance to you which I love. I say go for it!
  • In my adult life, I have known a female Ryan and never thought it was odd. 
  • I'd middle name it due to the special meaning for you. It's a boy name, and I generally don't like boy names for girls. Because it works out okay if you happen to have a really cute little girl, but what about if/when she goes through a less cute phase (and most do! Braces, unfortunate haircut, etc happen to the best of us), and then I feel like it makes them a target to get picked on.  
  • Hate Ryan on a girl.
    boy names aren't unisex names 
    no matter how many people are naming their daughters masculine names. 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • New thought that might serve our purpose..... hubby actually told me last night that he likes Elena (he hasn't really liked any names so far) and when I was researching it, I found it is derived from Helen, my grandma's middle name. Is that too much of a stretch if I want to honor her with this name? 

• I think Elena is nice, but I prefer Ryan.
  • Mattel said:
    New thought that might serve our purpose..... hubby actually told me last night that he likes Elena (he hasn't really liked any names so far) and when I was researching it, I found it is derived from Helen, my grandma's middle name. Is that too much of a stretch if I want to honor her with this name? 
    Love Elena and think it's a nice choice to honor. You could also use similar Helena 

• I like Elena much better than Ryan on a girl, but do think it's a stretch as an honor name. 
  • Imo Elena is a version of Helen so it works in some way to honor her. Also it's a beautiful name. 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • What about Helena?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's a variant of the name, therefore it's an honor name.
  • I don't like Helena at all. 

• I much prefer Elena as a fn honouring your grandmother. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I like Elena. It's not a stretch to me (but I'm a name nerd so I know they're related...)
  • My husband and I were contemplating naming our daughter ryan, his middle name is Ryan and I've always like the idea. We have decided to use it as a middle name instead because I'm afraid of the bull she would have to put up with her whole life. 
  • Absolutely love Ryan on a girl. That's my middle name lol but I would definitely put it as a first!
  • Elena is pretty but I prefer Ryan. "Boy" names being used for girls is very common right now and if you give her a very feminine middle name it could be really cute. I grew up with a boy name and didn't get much slack for it. For middle names maybe something like Ryan Viviane? Or look into a flower mn? 
  • Love the name Ryan for a girl. It’s your child so you need to love it. Ryan Kaitlyn goes well.
  • I have a girl in my class and a cousin who are both girls and named Ryann (still pronounced Ryan, and not ry-anne).  It suits them very well and is a pretty name! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Mama to Rowan Sebastian and baby boy coming in April!

• Sorry. Going against the grain here but I do like Ryan for a girl. I also like boy names in general for girls and the only names I really don't like are if they're made up or misspelled. For example, Tyler was on my short list for girls. But I'm not using it. To each her own.