1st Trimester
Options

First Ultrasound

Hi all! I'm just at 6 weeks, and it's my first pregnancy. So I just wanted to ask moms who are further along or have had children before, when was your first ultrasound? My doctor said I probably wouldn't have one until 18-20 weeks. Has anyone else had to wait that long? Thanks for reading and responding! 

Re: First Ultrasound

• Options
    If you're low risk it is common for the first ultrasound to take place at 18-20 weeks. 
  • Options
    If I had a normal history all mine would have not been until the anatomy scan at that time, though the office started using the Doppler in office at 9 weeks with my first. Because all my others were high risk it was sooner. So the rule of thumb is if you are healthy and have no history, there is often no need to have one until the anatomy scan
    Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
    BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
    TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
    BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I got an ultrasound at 7 weeks from my RE before releasing me to an OB. If I hadn't have had to work with an RE to get pregnant my only ultrasound would be the anatomy scan unless I had symptoms of a MC or ectopic.
  • Options
    My midwifery preferred if everyone got dating ultrasounds, which take place around 8 weeks. This is because free-standing birth centers have a four-week time window in which you can give birth there. Outside that, you have to go a hospital, so they want to make sure your due date is accurate. 

However, I understand most other places only want the anatomy scan at 20 weeks. 
  • Options
    A lot of places do a dating ultrasound (6-10w), but some don't do one until the anatomy scan (18-20w)
  • Options
    What's a dating ultrasound? 
  • Options
    A dating ultrasound is done to measure the baby to see how far along you are and make sure everything is progressing as it should. These are not always done though, I think mostly depends on the situation, and sometimes depends on Doctor preference.

With my son I only had my anatomy scan at 19/20 weeks. My midwife used the Doppler at every appointment to check heart rate, but like others said, unless you're high risk or experiencing problems there's no need for ultrasounds every week, just the anatomy scan.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18