November 2017 Moms
Options

Babysitting for older kids - opinions requested

A little background: I've got two kiddos and I'm having a repeat c-section and will be in the hospital for 3 days before heading home. With DS2 we had DS1 stay with my parents as my MIL was taking care of her boyfriend after he had surgery. It was messy as she decided last minute that she wanted help too and when we didn't change our minds she honest to god pouted about it and all of the photos we have of her in the hospital with DS2 she is sulking. This time around I'd like to avoid all of the mess and drama, but I'm not sure how to go about it. This time we have the two boys, one of which does not sleep very well anywhere but home.

I am part of a local mom's group that does meal trains and is generally super supportive and whatnot. I'm wondering if it would be gauche to ask that instead of a meal train or food that we honestly don't need, if they could do a babysitting sign up or just give us money to hire babysitters for chunks of time so my DH can spend some time with me and the baby at the hospital. I'm thinking 2-3 hours twice a day, so 6 sitters. Is that unreasonable? Just looking for some opinions before I pitch this to the DH.
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Babysitting for older kids - opinions requested

• Options
    If you feel comfortable with the potential sitters you'd be getting, then you could always request babysitting over meals and see what they say. I don't know that you would necessarily avoid the drama though. I could still see your mom and maybe even MIL being upset about you asking a group of friends to watch them and not them. Would you feel ok having mom and MIL do a couple of shifts too?
  • Options
    I can handle my mom, it is mostly my MIL that is an issue for me. She is so flaky that I can't really depend on her for this sort of thing, but if I ask my mom and not her she'll get all hurt and pouty and I really don't want to deal with her while I'm trying to deal with the new baby, the boys, and recover from surgery. She's a good woman, but sometimes she is terribly selfish and oblivious.