November 2017 Moms

Clothes question

megmralphmegmralph member
edited September 2017 in November 2017 Moms
FTMs, how much are you stocking up before baby arrives, clothes-wise? As in, how many onesies, sleepers, and outfits in each size will you have on hand by go time? STMs, how much did you buy, and what did you end up needing or not needing? Also fun - show pics of your stash!

A lot of people told me that family and friends will buy tons of clothes as showers gifts, so not to buy too much. I've mostly been shopping clearance racks for next year's sizes. We had our first shower last weekend and got no clothes! I'm thinking it's partially because we're keeping babies' sexes a secret, so it's less fun for our loved ones to buy clothes. (We have twins coming, BTW. My estimate is that we probably need more than one baby's worth of clothes, but not double the clothes since they'll be able to share a lot of things.) I am of course thankful for the gifts we did get, but am wondering if I need to stock up? 

Re: Clothes question

• I'm a STM - we have a 4 yo daughter and expecting a boy so pretty much need a whole new wardrobe. For DD, we got some clothes as gifts but not much. I would definitely recommend stocking up on onesies, sleepers and everyday outfits. Each baby will require multiple outfit changes a day. They spit up, have blowouts, etc. you will be amazed by how much laundry you will pile up so have plenty of extras will be helpful especially if you are having twins. As for sizing, I only purchased a few NB sizes then a lot of 0-3 and 3-6 months. Some babies never even wear NB size but my DD did and we had to have family run out and buy her some clothes that would fit her when we first brought her home.
  • @mymulligan thanks! I've definitely stuck with the comfies for early on, but probably need to grab a few more NB sizes.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ftm but definitely get footies and those type of outfits for the beginning. They'll be living in them. I also put onesies on under them because of the zippers/buttons on them I don't want em snagging the belly button. I've done a lot of daycare, baby sitting, niece/nephew duty lol.

Also not too many NB. We have 6? Nb outfits and one of them is his take home. This doesn't include a set of white onesies in each size. We have a ton of 0-3, 3-6 and 6-9. 6-9 I did clearance from the summer since it'll be May-Aug for those months. And I figured unless he's tiny tiny 0-3 will fit when his NB stuff does so I can mix and match if I need to. 

I'm surprised you got no clothes! We got quite a bit. We even got gender neutral when we first announced ..I know those are harder to come by but still. 
  • Hello,  I'm a FTM , and just had a baby shower at work.  Those ladies hooked me up wth clothes! Many are newborn,  like maybe 13 outfits. Lots of onsies with snaps.  I'm going to be 3-4 weeks early so I'm hoping they will get some wear.  I'm with you though and buying next year clearance. 
  • I'm a TTM of all girls and if either of your babies is a girl then some of those little gowns are nice. They may have them for boys too, I've just have no experience with boys clothes so I don't know.  If I remember correctly, some of them run like 0-6 months so they can wear them for a while. They're nice for all of those diaper changes, especially late at night.
  • @littlemissc17 Thanks! My mom has been all about the gowns and I know she's bought a few... so we will definitely have some of those! 

@kaitlinliz Good idea on the packs of white onesies... I will have to watch for a sale on those and grab a bunch of different sizes.
  • I was wondering that myself!  I started doing laundry of all the hand-me-downs from my husband's sisters, and registered for other outfits.  But I'm starting to wonder if I have enough of the 6-9mo size range.  Actually, as I've updated our registry, the clothes I've added recently have all been in larger sizes.

I think I"m all set on sleepers for NM - 6mo ranges.  STM+ did you find onesies or separates easier to deal with? Did you deal with separates at all? Gender is still a surprise for us, so I'm trying to stick with at least styles of clothing that I would be willing to put on a boy or girl.
  • @curiousfool1 definitely 1 pieces for NB to 6 months. And I recommend more zippers than button ups. So much easier. We always changed baby's diaper before feeding so being able to quickly zip up rather than fuss with buttons was helpful when you have a hungry baby!  And definitely stock up on those white onesies! I always had DD in one under her clothes/jammies/sleep sack...even as a 2 year old. I liked that they kept her back and tummy covered if her top rose up during the cold winter. 
  • I have a crap ton of zip up sleepers! At least 6 in each size(6 months I have about 12)but the best thing was baby leg warmers and the kimono side snap style shirts!! I changed babies diaper without undressing and the cord was protected until it fell off. 
    I wouldnplan for average three onesies/sleepers/outfits a day and then think about how often you want to wash. Every other day? Twice a week? And go from there! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Keeping the babies gender secret is probably driving some of the decision of people to not buy clothing. While I understand your decision, it is a potential downside...since there are not a ton of gender neutral options.

I would recommend not buying too much because you won't know how big or little they will be to start off. Best option is to get a few onsies and pants to start off.

I would highly recommend buying second hand clothes from thrift stores, facebook groups, Once Upon a Child (if it's near you) and ask friends if they have hand me downs. Some clearance rack deals are good...but second hand stores will sell as low as .25-$1 a piece. They will grow out of them so fast, it really isn't worth investing too much in them. And in the early months, they poop and spit up all over them...so no need for anything fancy or new.
  • Consignment sales are your best friend when you have small children. Baby clothes get worn maybe two or three times max (especially newborn sizes), so buying consignment is my go-to. We have several pop-up consignment sales near me that I attend every year and find the best clothes, some with tags still on, for $2-$4 a piece! 
  • I'm a STM and I second the zipper vs button sleepers.  It's so much easier.  It was rare for my first to require an outfit change throughout the day, so I did not buy as much this time.  I probably bought 7-9 NB outfits (mostly sleepers), and then 14-18 outfits/sleepers for 0-3 and 3-6.  I usually wait for Carters to have their 50% off sale before buying anything.  They do it several times a year for under 24 months (the next time will be around Thanksgiving - if they continue the trend from past years)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • My first two were not messy so I didn't change clothes multiple times a day. I've only washed nb size clothes as my last two both weighed 6.8lbs at 38w5d (yes they were the same and not twins). I'm assuming this one won't be too much bigger. I have a 12x12 cube brimming with nuetral sleep n plays (gender is unknown). If LO is a boy we'll go shopping/Christmas for 0-12mon and the same if LO is a girl as we gave those sizes away. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My son was only 4 lb 13 oz at birth and wore NB for probably 2 months. I haven't started washing and sorting my clothes yet but I got quite a bit second hand from yardsale websites and thrift stores in NB and 0-3 sizes for .25 - .50 a piece. Christmas is only a month after he'll be born so I figure people can get him clothes in the next sizes up for Christmas. 

Working in the daycare I really liked when they wore shirts instead of onsies because it was easier to pull the pants back to check their diaper. Less likely to get poop on your finger than if you're checking from the side on a onsie.

At night I found with my son that I liked button up or zipper with a onsie underneath so I didn't have to expose his whole stomach to the cold.

• Thanks everyone!! All good advice. I could definitely stand to do a little shopping :)
  • @amber0529 great tip about the onesie under the zipper one-pieces!
  • Definitely put a onesie under a zipper footie. Think about a zipper on your stomach. Or when the umbilical cord is healing, you want that covered up so it doesn't get caught on anything. 
  • The rule is to put one more layer on them than you would yourself. They don't regulate temperature well in the beginning, which is why skin-to-skin is encouraged.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility