October 2017 Moms

Breech Baby & C-Section

I'm currently 35 weeks along and my baby boy is still breech in there, not looking likely that he'll turn at this point due to Oligohydramnios (low AFI). I have an appointment with my OB next week to check if he's turned, and if not, discuss a plan. Any other moms still have a breech baby and are having to have a C-Section? If so, how many weeks along did your OB schedule your C-Section for? 

Thanks!

Re: Breech Baby & C-Section

• I am! I went in Wednesday at 37 weeks and my LO is breeched and for her to turn she would have to go around the placenta and they don't really see that happening so it was scheduled then. I'll have my c-section on the day I hit 39 weeks. 
  • My baby is breech and I just scheduled my csection for 37+2. 
    I believe he wanted me to go to 38 weeks (a little early due to diabetes) but this week I've developed high blood pressure and they are concerned about waiting any longer than 37 now. 

• Siggy Warning: Loss, Living Child, Pregnancy mentioned
    • TTC Since August 2009
    • IUI #1, D/C December 2012
    • IUI #2, Natural MC March 2013
    • IUI #3 BFN
    • IUI #4 BFP Due April 2014
    • Rainbow Baby DS1 born April 2014 via emergency C-Section
    • IUI #5 February 1, 2017.....BFP due 10/25/17 with TWINS! --9w5d vanishing twin. 
    • Diagnosis: PCOS, Factor V Leiden Syndrome

• Loading the player...
  • *lurking from s17*

My guy was head down and flipped back to breech at 35 weeks. He stayed that way despite trying an ecv at 36+1 and I had a scheduled c/s at 38+5.

All the best to you whether your LO turns and you can wait for spontaneous labour or stays put and you have a c/s.

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• @BigBadWolf12 thank you! Do you have any tips on recovery at home post c-section? 
  • @tyannej my recovery has been pretty easy so far, so I hope yours will be too!

A friend of mine really recommended the bellefit, but I never ended up getting one and I've been fine without it. I'm not sure what the difference would have been if I had purchased one.

Will you have help with you? I live overseas so my mom is visiting now and actually living with us for just over 5 weeks. She's been such a great help so I haven't had to worry about overdoing it with cooking/cleaning, etc. My husband also had 2 weeks off of work (will be going back next week), so if you don't have the same type of support yourself, I would recommend trying to get some freezer meals ready so you don't have to worry about cooking. At first, even just carrying the baby around, getting in and out of bed, and up and down from the couch was tiring, especially having to think about how to best move so that you don't strain the incision while it heals.

Going on short walks has helped me feel better too. Don't over do it, but if you can get out walking it might help you feel more healed more quickly.

All the best!

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• *lurking* but can't not comment on this! 

My baby has been breech as far as I know my entire pregnancy. From the anatomy scan on every time they checked position the baby was breech. 36 week appt they did an ultrasound to confirm, baby was still breech. Declined an ECV. 38 week appointment baby was still breech and I was told she wouldn't turn since I was so far along and didn't have much fluid. Scheduled a c section for 39 weeks as recommended. Went in for my c section was all good and ready to go, about 20 mins before my start time they checked with ultrasound one last time and baby was head down! I am due Wednesday and just waiting to go into labor now. I think it is highly unusual that she flipped but I guess the moral of my story is I would absolutely insist they check the position of the baby before the c section! Myself and everyone else was shocked but you just never know! 
  • @BigBadWolf12 I'll definitely look into the bellefit! And yes I will have help, my husband is taking off the whole
    first week, and he's self employed so if I needed something he can leave whenever. And I'll have my mom and mother in law within miles from the house, and I think my mother in law is actually planning on staying with us for a little while. I've been told walking helps so I definitely plan on that as well. 

@kaym6 we scheduled my c-section last visit. According to my doctor my baby still has enough fluid to move but with where she was positioned and where the placenta is she would have to somehow make her way around the placenta to get into position. With this being my first baby there is zero wiggle room, so much as my doctor said she woild not try to manually move her because it would be too dangerous. Therefore they said they would check positioning before the surgery but they highly doubted she would get into position. Good luck with your labor! 
  • @tyannej I hope things go smoothly for you! I have a friend who had a baby that couldn't turn due to the position of the placenta, she ended up having her c section as baby never turned and she said she had a really good experience!