TTC After a Loss
Options

How long to wait before TTC

I miscarried June 17th. Natural miscarriage. How long are you supposed to wait before TTC?

Re: How long to wait before TTC

• Options
    As long as it takes for you to be ready. With a natural MC there's generally no reason to wait though sometimes they'll say wait a cycle for dating purposes. I've heard you're actually more fertile in the first 3 months post MC. 
  • Options
    pghrenpghren member
    After my natural mc, I didn't ovulate the first cycle. The second cycle I got pg again but had an early mc at 5 weeks. It wasn't until after that they benched me for 2-3 cycles. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your loss.

My doctor advised to wait one cycle before TTC for dating purposes, but I've heard of other women being told to wait 2-3 cycles. I think it just comes down to what your doctor prefers and what you're comfortable with. 
  • Options
    Was told at my follow up appointment I could start immediately, she looked at lining. I didn't want to and am just now feeling emotionally ready after 7 months. 
  • Options
    I had a natural MC as well (though I hate that term, nothing feels natural about it). My OB told me to wait 2 cycles. He said my first cycle would be a bit off (which it was, earlier, lots of clotting, shorter but heavier). 2nd cycle was a bit more normal but still some clotting. I've also been told to make sure I'm getting enough vitamin B to help rebuild my lining. 
  • Options
    You really need to talk to your doctor about this. It varies from person to person based upon your type of MC, how far along you We're, any complications or any specific issues with your health, and your OBs research knowledge. You could be benched up to a year or cleared to start as early as your first cycle. Also, you shouldn't start again until you are emotionally ready.

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Thankyou everyone for the comments. My doctor didn't say anything about how long to wait. I go back in two weeks I was wondering should I try to prevent until I go back. Emotionally I am ready but wouldn't want to risk​ another miscarriage.
  • Options
    pghrenpghren member
    I haven't heard anything about the rates of miscarriage being higher just that you tend to be more fertile
  • Options
    pghrenpghren member
    Is your FW likely to be before then? 
  • Options
    Everything I had researched said to wait to even dtd until after you stopped bleeding. For me,my first day happened to coincide with my follow up appointment.  I think this is for risk of infection. However, I am not an ob and you can call them if you feel like you can't wait to double check.
  • Options
    @allowachick depending if my cycle goes back to normal my FW would be the week I go back. Of course I have no way of knowing if it's going to. We don't really plan to start trying but not preventing either. But if it would be more of a risk I would want to try to prevent.
  • Options
    @gracekaniowsky1977 I'm so sorry for your loss. I have tried to find info on what you're asking, and other than the study that shows women may be more fertile in the months following mc, haven't found anything definitive. There are circumstances where your dr will want you to wait but you won't know until you talk to your dr. 
  • Options
    I was told nothing up there (tampons, D, etc.) until after I finished bleeding (or with my D&C until I was cleared after my follow-up in 2 weeks). 

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• Options
    @dpjennifer Great point - until your cervix closes there is a risk of infection, including from dtd. 
  • Options
    How ling did everyone oval?
  • Options
    My cycle hasnt come back after nearly 6 weeks post d&c, dont know when it will. :( Doc told me to wait 2-3 cycles before TTC.