November 2017 Moms
Options

When to pack a hospital bag?

I may be really early with this, but I am wondering when other moms have started packing their hospital bag?  I'm a planner and I can't stand sitting around not doing something to prepare for baby! I have almost everything washed, minus the bigger clothes, and put away.  We have our room ready to go since the nursery is getting remodeled along with the rest of the upstairs.  I've organized everything in my house! I just need to do something! I can't wait for baby W to get here... so when did you start packing your hospital bag?  Any good tips on what to put in there?

Re: When to pack a hospital bag?

• Options
    To be honest mine and the baby's are already packed besides deodorant, hairbrush and snacks. We were already in the hospital once this pregnancy and currently being observed for preterm labor so I would like to be better prepared in case the time comes sooner rather than later.

I don't really have any good tips other than pack shower shoes, face wipes, lotions and chapstick. With DD I had an epidural and they did not let me shower until the next day and after a long labor I wanted to clean up so having wipes on hand to freshen up may be a good idea. 
  • Options
    I haven't packed anything yet, but started talking about it this weekend.  We have a lot of weekend travel coming up for the next two months.  I want to get 2 bags packed - one for the office, and one for the car/house - just in case something happens during all the excitement. I picked up a robe to wear.  I still need to pick out a coming home outfit for both me and the kid.  I wanted to pack candles in a scent that is relaxing to me, but my husband put the kibash on that. (Said he'd remove any candle he found in there.)  My birth center allows light snack and clear fluids during labor, so I also plan to pack a few energy bars and a tube of Nuun electrolyte water tabs.  That's all I've thought of so far.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @curiousfool1 You can't have an open flame in a hospital anyways BUT you can bring those air fresheners, like the glade or febreeze gel ones, that's what I did with my last pregnancy. I don't like the smell of amniotic fluid or the complete sterility, I needed something to let me focus.  
  • Options
    I have nothing packed. I told DH I need to buy clothes for after baby. Like sweat pants and nursing bras. I think at 30 weeks the Bump article about what to pack comes up. 
  • Options
    You pack whenever YOU are ready. There isn't any "proper" time to get your bag packed. I am currently not packed and probably won't for another 2 months.

I second the notion of packing wipes for yourself. I've had 2 c-sections and I was not permitted to shower until 2 days after the birth. Even just wiping out your arm pits and under your boobs with a wet cloth feels amazing.

I overpacked the first time, and didn't pack the second. This time I'll probably pack a basic overnight bag, just like if I were going to spend the night at someone's house with a few extras. Wipes, sleeping nursing bras, 2-3 tank tops or nursing tops, going home outfit for little girl, and clean clothes for me. No jeans. The first time I packed my maternity jeans to go home in, I don't recommend it. Sweatpants, work out pants, things that are soft and stretchy.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I wished I had packed detangler spray last time because by tge time I had him my hair was matted but i also have super thick hair but fine strands. I'll probably pack a hospital bag by 34 weeks.
  • Options
    I wasn't just thinking about this topic this weekend. I will probably pack at the beginning of October. With DD, I wore the hospital gown for my entire stay. It was just easiest for recovery (c-section - I had a catheter for a day or so) and breastfeeding. I will pack some comfy clothes/pjs this time around just in case. As stated above, toiletries and make-up (if that's your jam - a little concealer and mascara make me feel better), iPad / tablet for Netflix/music, chargers! 
    Also, make sure your SO packs a bag. DH didn't have one ready and he forgot to pack shirts so he wore the same one for 4 days (gross) and he had to grab toiletries from the gift shop. 
  • Options
    I started the diaper bag this weekend and planning mine soon. I wanna tell DH to do his but I kno he won't til my water breaks. Thanks for the tips! What should DH pack?
  • Options
    If you're planning to breastfeed, don't forget a few supplies for that. I brought my boppy and nipple cream and was very grateful for both. 
  • Options
    I just asked DH what he packed or wish he had packed and he said definitely pack comfy clothes, protein bars, and a nice pillow. 
  • Options
    I started packing a bag with some stuff for me and the baby, but then I had my own hospital visit and took the baby stuff out so I could fit a few more things for myself. I will have everything packed except the going home outfit by this weekend in case I end up there again. 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Options
    Being a second time mom my first go around some of the things I had packed were lanolin, boppy, nursing cover, sweats and maternity tanks, light jacket, slippers, nursing pads which I didn't need cause my milk didn't come in till like two or three days, toiletries like shampoo conditioner little make up hair brush tooth brush etc. They gave me a special body wash to use at hospital. I also brought my own underwear but just used the mesh ones they gave me. Also brought my own pads but also just used the giant ones they gave me. Few outfits for our daughter for her hopital pictures with bows plus going home outfit she ended up staying two days without us before we could bring her home so didn't necessarily need that. Hubby brought like one pair of gym shorts because he went home the next day to shower and check on house etc seeing as we are only like 15-20 mins from hospital. This go around I'll probably pack just about the same and hubby plans on coming home right after birth to be with our daughter since we don't really want her to have to be away from both of us and we don't have a ton of trusting responsible enough family to watch her anyhow so he doesn't need to pack anything. Didn't pack any snacks as there is a Walmart down the road from hospital so my hubby got me fruit it was the only thing I could stand to stomach for a few days plus I can order hospital food from the cafeteria. Good luck ladies 9 weeks and counting down
  • Options
    Haven't thought it through much but probably won't pack it until October. We live 5 minutes from the hospital, so if we forget something, it won't be too difficult to go back home. 
  • Options
    For DH - a few changes of clothes, toiletries, pillow and blanket. I was fine with the hospital pillows/blankets but he really appreciated having those items from home while he slept on the pullout chair. 

I felt like we were in the hospital for a long time because we were admitted just after midnight and I had a c-section and DD spent a little time in nicu. We got there Friday night and left Tuesday afternoon. 

Same as above, my milk didn't come in until we got home. The only nursing supplies I thought were necessary were nipple cream (I brought some but I think the Hospital also gives you some) and nursing tanks if you choose to wear your own clothes.
  • Options
    I'll pack when I go into labor. I did the same with my son and it gave me something to do during early labor at home. Labor is exciting - and also really boring - so I like having a couple activities. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Thanks for all the input! I like making sure DH has a bag too although he probably won't pack until we're  headed there ha we live in the country so it's a little ways from the hospital but our family lives out there so if we forget anything they can always grab something. But I love being prepared! 
  • Options
    Unless you are at risk for pre-term labor, you are fine to wait until 36 weeks. 

Clothes:
    This is time I will do 2 pairs of yoga pants (1 I will wear to hospital). 2-3 nursing tanks. 2-3 comfy nursing bras. Zip-up hoodie. Pair of socks. Flip flops. One pair of large undies from a pack of large grannie panties-these I throw out after I am done with them postpartum. Bathroom stuff to shower and dry my hair. 

Hubby
    1 extra tshirt and shorts plus a sweatshirt. 

Baby 
    2-3 sleepers
    1 blanket

Other 
    iPad
    charger 
    boppy
    nursing pads 
    nipple cream 

• Options
    This is all so helpful!  My midwife also gave me a list of common hospital bag items at my last appointment, along with a list of the items the hospital already has on hand.  Things like chapstick, an aromatherapy diffuser, etc.  I would never have thought to check with the birthing center itself, so it might be worth asking for you too!
  • Options
    Be careful with things that need to be plugged in, laptops and phone chargers are fine but items that use more power like hair dryers may not be allowed. Patients think it's rediculous BUT could you imagine shorting out emergency power? The hospital I work at needs to inspect the item before it can be used, we even have fan that are kept in engineering because they are inspected. Also some scents are not allowed, peppermint being one of them because it can cause asthma exacerbations or trouble with our patients already having a hard time breathing. 
  • Options
    Aiming to have nappy bag hospital bag packed by 34weeks (so i don't loose things I need for it in the move ) and nappies/clothes all washed and baby room organised by 36weeks 
    Nappys all arrived last week so just have to start washing 
    We just bought a house. Painters finished last week and now are waiting on some furnature deliveries over the next 2 -4 weeks so between now and then we are cleaning the rest of the house and organising and packing to move . Which I hope will be around the 36 week mark
    It's 2 hour drive midwife and hospital along with most our family are within 30 min of where we are now (staying at my parents) 
    So well be back and forth still up until bub  arrives then hubby has 11 weeks off and we'll finish settling in all 3 of us . So our bag will actually be at my parents as we get closer and if I happen to be away and have to drive up my dad can meet us at the hospital and bring the bag so seems logical to do it that way
    Bit hectic timing but also a good opportunity to reorganize our lifestyle and really focus on what we want to take with us to our new home 

We have a few more bigger things to organise still like car seat , Dish washer, washing machine and fridge  and we are looking at getting a new car so that also needs to be looked at in the next 4 weeks . 

Really ignoring the possibility of baby coming early with only 8 weeks to go . Eep
    I have some big projects I'm still working on one deadline for October and another to be executed by someone else but all prep work for that is  for the 15th Nov . (EDD is 8/11)
    I work for myself and through a couple different avenues  so maternity leave is more like me learing to say no I don't have time . Than just stopping work 
    Mostly just trying to go with it a little and not over analyse my husband is great at organising people and situations and is calm and methodically minded so I'm just letting him deal with all the stuff and I'm just growing a human it's a fair balance I think . I work on the basis of I picked that man so I must trust him and his capability so I'm just trusting him .he is an instinctive provider so I know he'll make sure we have what we need to do our thing when it's time . Means bub and I can just work on what we need to do to get them earth side 
  • Options
    Don't forget to pack your baby book if you plan on doing one, so they can do the footprints in it!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    sml1982sml1982 member
    edited September 2017
    I'm 33 weeks and hospital bag packed last week and car seat installed in car this past Saturday by a certified safety person during safety event hosted by BRU.

In my hospital bag I packed 
    Dove soap...bc that's only soap I can use
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste 
    Lotion
    Deodorant 
    Change of clothes to come home in..
    Mirror
    Hair ties
    Slippers
    Two night gowns
    Nursing bra
    3 pair of undies...which I probably won't need 
    3 pair of socks
    Change of clothes for hubby
    Then I put baby's diaper bag in my suitcase as well. For her I packed 2 sleepers..blanket..coming home outfit with side snaps..and 2 outfits to take newborn pictures in while at hospital with matching bows.