Infertility

September IUI

Re: September IUI

• Good Morning,
    Has anyone tried fertility acupuncture or massage? My RE office offers both and I wanted to know if anyone found such helpful or successful in the past
  • I second that question about acupuncture. The only studies i've found are regarding IVF? Has anyone had success with acupuncture? I'm on the borderline about it, but i'm willing to try anything if it helps.
    ***** child/loss TW *****
    natural pregnancy DD 2012 TTC #2 since 2014
    9/2015 chemical pregnancy
    Initial workup: 
         AMH: 0.898 ng/ml
         Antral Follicle Count: 5
         FSH day 3: 6.56 mIU/ml
         LH day 3: 5.24 mIU/ml
         Estradiol day 3: 46.75 pg/ml

IUI 1-4 BFN

IVF #1 After ovulation was confirmed with progesterone levels on CD19. Cetrotide ½ dose X4 doses and minivelle was started CD 20 to continue through stim. Upon AF, started follistim 150 bid and menopur 75 bid on CD3. Started cetrotide 1 dose when biggest follicle reached 13mm. Retrieved 4 eggs out of 12 follicles, 2 PGS normal, FET #1 9/14/18 BFP beta#1 10dp6dt 369, 12dp6dt 1210 
  • Loading the player...
  • tosh24tosh24 member
    edited September 2017
    I've been doing fertility acupuncture. My RE says research shows that acupuncture assists with ovarian response to meds, blood flow to uterus, lining thickness, medication side effects, stress reduction, and miscarriage rates....those things are important regardless of if you're at the TI stage or the IVF stage. I had 5-6 follies on my first two IUIs with only femara while doing acupuncture. I was super busy and didn't go during my 3rd IUI cycle and only ended up with one follie on the same protocol. No idea if acupuncture helped with my ovarian response that much, but I'm not willing to chance it again. *******TW child mentioned****** I started acupuncture the first time while seeing an RE TTC my son. Within 3 months of acupuncture and 1 month on Chinese herbs, I ended up getting pregnant on a break cycle. ****END TW**** My results have been different this time around, but I'm still sticking with it. 

In terms of my cycles themselves, I've seen more of a change with chiropractic, TBH. I have a bad back for multiple reasons, and it's always tight and sore. Without fail, any time I start up chiro again, my period becomes more regular, less painful, shorter, and less heavy. I think because I'm so tight, there is so much muscle tension and nerve signals aren't firing properly. I do chiro once a week. I also do massage every other week and try to time my massage so that I get it done right before I get adjusted for better results. 

I've tried Arvigo Abdominal Massage for fertility and it was really cool. The therapist was able to lift my uterus off my bladder (it's tilted) and for the first time in years I didn't feel like I had to pee every 20 minutes. I haven't gone back because I ended up getting a UTI from the massage (the sweeping movements can cause bacteria to be moved into the bladder or uterus...one of the possible risks of the massage) so I don't want to risk that again and possibly have to cancel a cycle. 

ETA TW
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• @puppyluv13 and @tosh24 thank you for your responses!! Looks like we're getting an involuntary break this month
  • Sorry, the rest of my response didn't post...  I took a hpt 13dpo BFN, got AF 4 hours later and went for baseline and I have 2 cysts.  I'm out for September.  
  • @roxarn87 Ugh, I'm sorry :(

TFAS since 2012

Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!

• cassafrass15cassafrass15 member
    edited September 2017
    @aeb1116 and @babyhopeful442 I've had a really
    great experience with acupuncture for infertility. I don't think it's necessarily going to determine whether or not I get pregnant, but it really does help manage the stress and improves blood flow. You should try it if you can!

**TW** Welp, after my BFP on 9/4 my HCG levels have plateaued at a really low number (120) and I am likely miscarrying. RE said miscarriage is best case scenario, worst case scenario being ectopic. Going for another US next week, but I've already accepted this as a loss either way. I am heartbroken. **End TW**

Good luck and FX to those of you who have done or will do IUIs this month! @Labluver2
  • @cassafrass15 I am so sorry that you have to go thru this. That is my biggest fear. (((Hugs)))
  • @cassafrass15 I am so sorry!  Hugs!! ***TW- my first iui ended in CP/early miscarriage.  It is so hard. End TW****
  • Thanks @Labluver2 and @bpietronicco I am so sad, but I'm not giving up. RE wants to do genetic testing since this is my third MC/CP. Ugh. I guess we just move forward. 
  • I'm so sorry @cassafrass15 :( I'm assuming your RE is doing a RLP? I don't know what exactly to hope for - you don't want to hope that someone has an issue that has contributed to their losses, but sometimes an "easy fix" is discovered that allows someone to go on to have successful pregnancies. I hope if something comes up on your panel, it's something that's easily addressed and you finally get your take home baby. 

TFAS since 2012

• @cassafrass15 I'm so sorry to hear about your HCG levels..I would definitely have them look into why you are having so many miscarriages and hope there's a cause. Like @tosh24, if you know what's causing it, maybe they can prevent another MC. ***TW***My best friend had three MC in the span of 1.5 years and her OB did a number of different tests and it turns out she had a coagulation disorder that was causing her fetus to not get enough oxygen in the early stages and causing the MC. She took heparin throughout her 4th pregnancy and had a healthy baby boy.***TW*** I'm so sorry love... Hugs! 
    Initial workup: 

IUI 1-4 BFN

IVF #1 After ovulation was confirmed with progesterone levels on CD19. Cetrotide ½ dose X4 doses and minivelle was started CD 20 to continue through stim. Upon AF, started follistim 150 bid and menopur 75 bid on CD3. Started cetrotide 1 dose when biggest follicle reached 13mm. Retrieved 4 eggs out of 12 follicles, 2 PGS normal, FET #1 9/14/18 BFP beta#1 10dp6dt 369, 12dp6dt 1210 
  • @cassafrass15 So sorry to hear about your #'s. Hopefully your RE can find out the reason why! 
    @roxarn87  Sorry AF came! Will they do anything for your cysts? Or let them clean on their own?

i went for my Cd 12 testing today. I left the office shocked. I have 2 follies on my right, one ws 19mm and the second 24mm. I have never had follies that big on day 12! I have the lady remeasuee because I could believe it!  (I had cancelled cycles in June and July and then a month of birth control in august.) They called me later with my blood results and I will be have my trigger tonight and IUI on Saturday. 

• @sunnynat2015 yay that's great follie size. Mine were 20 and 24 on day 12!!! Let's hope this is our cycle my iui was yesterday so your just a few days behind. Fingers crossed!!!
  • @Labluver2 I think we were on the same cycle a couple months ago as well! This is the first time I have ever been ready to do on cd12 and 24 mm is the biggest I've ever had. So I'm hopeful! Wish you luck! Let keep in touch during the awful 2ww. 
  • Thanks for the support ladies. I'm miserable and the waiting for my appointment next week is torture. ***TW I still haven't had miscarriage symptoms, so I'm terrified it's ectopic. My betas initially doubled, but then increased by only 25% over 4 days which makes me think it's ectopic. Also no sign of a GS in the uterus, not good. End TW***

@babyhopeful442 and @tosh24 I'm definitely going to demand exstensive testing to see what's going on. It takes me so long to get pregnant (TTC 3 years) and then I keep losing them. There has to be a reason, however small. Hopefully it's something that we can fix!
  • Question so I normally go in a week after iui for a progestrone level my nurse this time said I didn't have to go in bc my levels have been way above what they want which is 10. I'm glad for not having to go back in but what if this is the one time I'm low. Has anyone had this happen where they didn't have to go for progestrone after?
  • *Lurking from September IVF*

@cassafrass15 I am so sorry for your loss. I know it is weird that I am writing to you as a total stranger but I was in your shoes 4 month ago and I do not want anybody repeating what I went through. I had an EP that looked like a MC so we missed it and I lost a tube at the end. I never had any pain so EP diagnosis and emergency surgery came as a shock to me. Please take care of yourself and do not ignore doctor's suggestions. What's your HCG level right now? My EP only became visible on the US when my HCG went over 10K. Please be kind to yourself and everything will be ok, EP is bad but not the end of the world if diagnosed and taken care of on time. My prayers are going to you. 
    Me 30, DH 39
    TTC since Aug 2015, 
    BFP Apr 2017 - late diagnosed EP, right tube removed, left tube scarred.
    Dx: tubal IF
    IVF Sept 2017, 7 R, 6M, 6F- 4 blasts, 1 transferred fresh - CP
    FET #1 Dec 2017- BFN
    FET #2 Jan 2018- CP
    FET #3 BFP!!! EDD 12/15/2018!
  • @Labluver2 With my old clinic they did 7DPO progesterone tests for everyone unless you were someone that had been shown to need supplementation and then they just gave you the suppositories. My current clinic just puts everyone on the prog supps whether you need them or not, so no 7DPO prog test.

How many times has your progesterone been tested at 7DPO? If it was just once, I'd probably ask to have it tested this cycle too if you're not on supps. If it's been tested multiple cycles and has always been OK, I probably wouldn't worry about it. 

TFAS since 2012

• GL to you @sunnynat2015 and @Labluver2!!!

@roxarn87 Bummer about having to sit out this month... I've been there before too and it feels like such a waste of precious babymaking time! Hang in there!

@tosh24 I never knew there was such a thing as a fertility massage! I'm totally going to look into that! Did you go to a specialty masseuse? Or is it done at a regular massage place (i.e. Massage Envy)?

@cassafrass15 So sorry to hear that :( I know how disappointing it can be when you get this close, so just try to be kind to yourself. ((hugs))

*tw*
    Me: 33 / DH: 30
    Married: 10/19/13
    NTNP since 2010 / TTC since 2013
    DX: Unexplained
    June 2014 – Aug 2014 (3 cycles): Medicated cycles >> Letrozole + Trigger = BFN
    Sept 2014: IUI #1 >> Letrozole + Follistim + Trigger = BFN 
    Dec 2014: IUI #2 >> Letrozole + Follistim + Trigger = BFN 
    Sept 2016: Consult with RE, DH consult with Urologist
    Nov 2016: D&C to remove polyps >> RE required 6 month break
    May 2017: IUI #3 >> Letrozole + Follistim + Trigger = BFP >> MC/CP
    Aug 2017: IUI #4 >> Follistim + Trigger = BFN
    Oct 2019: IVF Consult

• @tosh24 this is my 5th cycle and have always been tested 7DP0 and they were around 20 each time my last was 57.9 but not sure if it was higher because that day it was 6 DPO bc I couldn't make it day 7.
  • @puppyluv13 You have to go to a certified practitioner...check out their website for a list!

https://www.arvigotherapy.com/

TFAS since 2012

• @Labluver2 I've  never gone for a 7dpo check. So it seems normal to me. I think if they said your levels were good, I would just go with it. I've always just had the pregnancy check 14 day later. 
  • @sunnynat2015 thanks!!! Good luck with your IUI tomorrow!!!
  • @DecemberDoll27 Not weird at all! I greatly appreciate any guidance. And I am very sorry for your loss. The thought of an ectopic terrifies me. ***TW My last MC landed me in the hospital for a few days and that was traumatic enough End TW*** I haven't had my levels checked again - RE didn't want to see me again until next week (Tues). I'm only about 6w0d as of tomorrow, so I assume he wanted to wait to be sure there isn't a GS in the uterus. How far along were you when they diagnosed you, if you don't mind me asking? That's interesting (and good to know) that you didn't have any symptoms. Of course the internet assures me that I should be basically doubled over in pain 24/7 if it is ectopic.
  • I've been lurking around here and this is my first round of treatment. I will start clomid 50mg for the first time on Weds.....so I'm assuming my first IUI will be sometime the first week of October? I'm nervous, and RE told me not to get my hopes up, but it's hard not to!! Praying everything goes well. I'll keep an eye out for the October board. 

@cassafrass15 I'm so sorry to hear what you've been going through. Everyone on this board is so supportive and I'm so glad I found it. 
  • @jenrn1216 welcome to the board!!! I was so nervous too the first time I started treatments. It's not an easy thing to go thru but this board is a great source of support and information. It's always good to remain hopeful. I'm on my 5th iui and I'm still not giving up hope even tho the Dr said IVF is my best option at this point. Hang in there aND please feel free to post any questions or even vents about your journey we are all hear together.
  • The nurse assigned to me is on vacation so I had to call and leave an annoyed message to get someone to call me back with my monitoring results yesterday  :#. It was CD 8 and I had a 1.5, 2 x (1.2) and 3 x (1.1) cm follicles on my left ovary, and nothing over 1.0 on my right ovary. Lining was at 7 mm. They increased my Gonal F from 100 IU to 125 IU and I'm starting on Orgalutran tonight to suppress ovulation and give some of the smaller follicles time to catch up. I go back on Monday for more monitoring. I'm kind of annoyed that my ovaries have still only produced 1 dominant follicle on all these meds when my first few cycles on 2.5 mg of femara alone I was producing 5-6. WTH happened???? I hope at least another 2 follicles catch up and become mature. I feel so loopy on the meds and the migraines are killing me. FX for a good 3-4 follicles mid-week for an IUI.

@jenrn1216 Welcome! It's totally nerve wracking to start treatments or even move up the ladder from one treatment to the next. Hope this cycle goes smoothly for you!  

TFAS since 2012

• @tosh24 ugh thats so frustrating. Here is hoping you get some more growing follies mid week. 
  • @cassafrass15 I was at 8.5 weeks along and EP was very close to the ovary where the tube is wider. Therefore no pain or symptoms. But because it was so close to the ovary we were concerned whether I can keep the ovary. Thanks to my awesome OB we only lost my right tube. But he looked at the other tube and said that it is severly scarred, so we got an answer to our unexplained IF. Hang in there, I was a worst case scenario, you still have hope! 
    Me 30, DH 39
    TTC since Aug 2015, 
    BFP Apr 2017 - late diagnosed EP, right tube removed, left tube scarred.
    Dx: tubal IF
    IVF Sept 2017, 7 R, 6M, 6F- 4 blasts, 1 transferred fresh - CP
    FET #1 Dec 2017- BFN
    FET #2 Jan 2018- CP
    FET #3 BFP!!! EDD 12/15/2018!
  • jenrn1216jenrn1216 member
    edited September 2017
    Thanks so much @Labluver2 and @tosh24! Looking forward to sharing my journey :) 

@Labluver2 don't give up hope!!!!! It will happen for you!!!!
  • @DecemberDoll27 That's good information. Thank you again for taking the time to reach out. I need all of the information I can get to make the best decision in this horrid situation.

@jenrn1216 Welcome! I'm sorry that your journey brought you to our board, but I will keep my FX for a successful first IUI cycle for you. And yes - the ladies on this board are supportive and wonderful.
  • monkey126monkey126 member
    edited September 2017
    Wel@jenrn1216! This is my first cycle of treatment as well. I look forward to hearing about your hopefully swift and successful journey!!

I had my IUI on 9/3 and go for my beta on 9/19. I am hoping that the cramping and lightheadedness is a good sign but fear I am projecting symptoms to feel less anxious.  

• @aeb1116 FX for you with your first treatment!! Looking forward to hearing a success story :) 
  • @aeb1116 Two more days! FX for you, can't wait to see your update!

Welcome @jenrn1216!

@tosh24 I'm sorry to hear about your follicles. FX more catch up this week and become mature.

I just took my first shot of 25 units follistim and vomited about an hour after. Was just wondering if anyone else experienced this and if it happens every time after taking the shot or would your body build up tolerance to it? I am going to time the injection from now on to make sure that i never leave the house after.
    Initial workup: 

IUI 1-4 BFN

• @jenrn1216 and @ aeb1116 Good luck with your first cycle. It can be an emotional/crazy journey but it's so nice to have the support of this board! :)

i had my IUI on Saturday and go for my results on Oct 2nd. Everything went well with the IUI. Fingers crossed. 

• tosh24tosh24 member
    edited September 2017
    @babyhopeful442 I haven't used follistim so no experience here. Have you checked the drug pamphlet that came with the injection? Usually gives a run down of side effects. I know my Gonal F says may cause nausea. Hope it was just a one time thing....dealing with side effects while having to deal with everything else too is the worst.

AFM, CD 11 monitoring today. My ovaries did not cooperate as I had hoped. My 1.5 cm follicle on Friday grew to 2.5 today, and I have about 5 more in the 1.4 - 1.6 cm range :s I'll either be triggered tonight or cancelled. My abdomen is sooooo sore. I am not looking forward to ovulating these eggs. I think these last 1.5 cycles with Gonal F has also solidified the fact that I think I have endometriosis. The bowel pain and pulling/pinching feelings around my ute and ovaries are telling me so (which I have every cycle anyway, just more so since increasing my meds). I put in a call to my RE on Friday to ask about having a lap done. Just waiting for the call back. Sigh.  

UPDATE: RE just emailed to say I overstimulated between Friday and Monday and I have two choices: cancel or convert to IVF. Can't afford IVF OOP so I guess I'm out for this month. FFS. 

TFAS since 2012

• @tosh24 that stinks! How disappointing! I hate when it goes too well. My first IUI was almost cancelled because of too many follies. Ugh. 

@babyhopeful442 I'm on my second month of follistim (150 iu last time and 75 this time) and have never had that reaction. You should definitely check in with your RE. You don't want to have to go through that every single night!! 

@aeb1116  @jenrn1216 @sunnynat2015 fingers crossed for all of you!

AFM just started my second round of injections two nights ago. Will probably have the IUI next week. Last time it was CD10 so we'll see! I was so disappointed last time. Fingers crossed IUI #2 is a success! Trying to stay positive. 

Hope everyone has a good week!
    TTC #1
    dx: DOR
    8 cycles Clomid (1 BFP & MC)
    3 failed IUIs (Follistim & Trigger)
    IVF #1
  • @mac627 @sunnynat2015 FX for you both :) 

@tosh24 sorry to hear you have to be out. I hope next cycle is better for you!

I have a question......I'm doing unmonitored clomid with IUI.....how will they know if I overstimulate??? My RE has explained the process to me and I've asked her about shots and ultrasounds, but she says I don't have to do that this time. But after reading several posts, it seems like monitoring is done more often than not. 
  • mac627mac627 member
    edited September 2017
    @jenrn1216 I did clomid for several months through my gyno before I switched to the RE. My doctor only had me come in for a day 12 ultrasound to check my follicles and try to predict when I'd ovulate for timed intercourse. Is your RE not having you come in at all? They have to figure out when to do the IUI somehow right? I'd say if you're doing an ultrasound around CD 12/13 that's all they really need. But my current RE does monitoring for everything. 
    TTC #1
    dx: DOR
    8 cycles Clomid (1 BFP & MC)
    3 failed IUIs (Follistim & Trigger)
    IVF #1