1st Trimester

Finding Work. Help.

How long did you wait to tell your new employer you are pregnant? I'm currently attending interviews and will be 9 weeks in a few days. I know it's against the law not to employ you if you are expecting, but I know they wouldn't employ me over someone who wasn't pregnant.

Thanks for any replies in advance :)

Re: Finding Work. Help.

• I think most people wit until 12-16 weeks to tell most people, including employers.
  • Keep in mind that you won't be eligible for FMLA, so even if you withhold it, they could replace you while you're out on leave. I'd probably wait to tell and then perhaps during salary negotiations try to get the time off agreed as part of your benefits. Maybe say "full disclosure, I'm X months pregnant. I really want to work here at the salary agreed upon, but I would also like some confidence that I will be able to take the time off needed to recover and have a position to return to." 
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • I showed up to an interview 32 weeks pregnant and they couldn't bring it up, and I didn't bring it up, and i got the job. 
    Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
    BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
    TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
    BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Thank you for all the advice. I still have a long way to go so I'm hoping I can get some more months of work in before baby arrives.