Infertility

Newbie Intro-insight welcomed

Hi All- 

My DH and I have TTC for three years now. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2015. Am on the highest dose of metformin. I also take medication for my thyroid (just a tad sluggish but nothing concerning). Been taking a prenatal as well. I am not your average person with PCOS in that I get my period like clockwork every month. I recently have been seeing a acupuncturist. I'm on herbs to hopefully help things along. Also have a tilted uterus. 

Last SA DH had wasn't all that bad, however, not what we expected either. He had just a couple low numbers. Volume and concentration. Average concentration is 15ml and he had 10.6ml. Average volume was 1.5 and he was at 1. I assume they go hand in hand. Other thing he came back low on was the shape of the sperm. Average is 15 and he was at an 8. That's the one I am really concerned avout. We were told by the doctor to start him on fertile aid which he has been taking for two months as instructed. He just had his repeat SA today so we are anxiously waiting for the results. 

I recently went into the doctor for a physical and she said she would be willing to give me clomid. I don't know if we should even try it. Will it be a waste of time. 

Why am I telling you all this? Because I am in need hope. We have been struggling for so long and I just want to know if there are any others out there in someone what is the same situation. 

Thanks in advance for reading. 

Re: Newbie Intro-insight welcomed

• My husband also took fertilaide and it helped after a couple months. I would definitely try it out. I also have PCOS. I don't have to take meds for it. I did use clomid and femara with no luck for me but it has worked for others I know. We've since moved onto ivf. Good luck! 
    TTC 4 years. 7 failed IUI's with either Clomid, Femara and/or Trigger Shots. Started IVF journey in February 2017. Polyps removed in May. 1st IVF Transfer September 26th. BFP. Expected due date 6/14/18. Baby boy born 5/25/18 at 6 lb 9 oz. My bundle of joy. 
  • @Palbicki0502 welcome. I also have PCOS and DH has almost the same figures. I have just got my trigger shot last night and I'm going to have my egg/s extraction tomorrow. I'm sorry I don't have anything to say about clomid, I'm in another protocol here in Japan. T's&P's for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • I highly suggest you move on to a RE if you have not done so already. OBs can be great, but getting you ku isn't their speciality.
    I had a wonderfull OB that I trusted who ended up wasting a whole year for us. The SA she did on DH wasn't as thorough as it needed to be and she had me on Clomid for far too long with someone who didn't know exactly what they were doing. When we moved to our RE she told us it isn't that uncommon for an OB who is trying to help, ends up hindering. 
    Call and get a referral and see a RE. It could take several months to even get in to see one so I suggest to call today.
  • I second what @suchaglencoco said. Your OB may be able to help but only up until a certain point. Once you reach that point, it may be months to get in to see an RE. It can't hurt to have the referral into an RE while you continue trying what your OB has suggested. My husband has 0% morphology with a round head on the sperm being the issue. For us, we've tried 2 IUIs and have moved on to IVF because even if we can fix the motility issue, if they can't break through the egg, all the medicines and changes on his end wouldn't make a huge difference. That's not something I think we would have gotten from my OB and it probably would have cost us more time. I'm so sorry you're struggling with this and I hope that you find some support here and find the answers you need to move forward!
    Me & DH: 28  |  TTC since May 2016  |  DH: Morphology 0%  |  2 IUI's with Clomid - BFN  |  IVF ICSI Sept. 2017
  • Palbicki0502Palbicki0502 member
    edited August 2017
    Thank you for the support! Please keep me posted on how it goes for you. 
  • We currently see and infertility RE. She has been the one directing us to do the SA and fertile aid. DH took his second SA yesterday after taking the fertile aid for two months. Praying there is a change and his numbers fall in the normal range. 
  • My DH went to see a urologist that specializes in fertility and partners with my RE's office... He took Anastrozole and Clomid for 6 months and his motility and count increased significantly. Is there a urologist like that in your area that he could at least have a consult with? 
    *tw*
    Me: 33 / DH: 30
    Married: 10/19/13
    NTNP since 2010 / TTC since 2013
    DX: Unexplained
    June 2014 – Aug 2014 (3 cycles): Medicated cycles >> Letrozole + Trigger = BFN
    Sept 2014: IUI #1 >> Letrozole + Follistim + Trigger = BFN 
    Dec 2014: IUI #2 >> Letrozole + Follistim + Trigger = BFN 
    Sept 2016: Consult with RE, DH consult with Urologist
    Nov 2016: D&C to remove polyps >> RE required 6 month break
    May 2017: IUI #3 >> Letrozole + Follistim + Trigger = BFP >> MC/CP
    Aug 2017: IUI #4 >> Follistim + Trigger = BFN
    Oct 2019: IVF Consult

• If his numbers come back low, that is our next step! 
  • I agree that you should ask for a referral for a RE. Best of luck to you. There is hope! It may not be an easy trip, but just keep positive.