Baby Names

Love the name, dislike the "most obvious" nickname

My husband and I have loved the name Hollis for years. We're planning to name our child Hollis whether it's a boy or a girl.

The problem is, we really dislike the nickname "Holly," but completely understand that this is likely the nickname that people with give to our little one (especially if it's a girl). 

Ugh. Just venting. We love the name so much that we definitely want to use it. 
BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Love the name, dislike the "most obvious" nickname

• Oops, wasn't quite finished above. Anyone else have a distaste for assumed nicknames for your LO's?
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I'll never understand the brand loyalty for Hollister.
  • Loading the player...
  • I can't not rap Christmas in Hollis every time I hear Hollis.

Honeslty if I hated a most obvious nn I wouldn't use it. Especially because there is a chance my kid would want to go by it then what? 

• My son's name has a commonly used shorter version that I dislike but I'm rolling with it just because I love the full name. I've made my peace with the fact that he will probably go by the shortened version eventually but for now it's fine. However, if you really hate Holly, I'd recommend keeping Hollis just if you have a boy.
  • Oh man, I didn't even think of that silly brand! There is also a city in CA called Hollister, which did cross my mind. The full first name for our LO would be Hollis though, not with the added "ter" at the end. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• That's a really good idea, thank you! I do like the name slightly better for a boy. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Totally looking this song up now lol! I've never heard of it?
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I love the name James, but hate the nicknames Jim or Jimmy. This is what family has been telling us our baby will be called if we name him James.
  • I love the name James, but hate the nicknames Jim or Jimmy. This is what family has been telling us our baby will be called if we name him James.
    FWIW my nephew is James and no one has ever called him anything else.  
  • Hollis is on my list too. Didn't think to use it for a boy, but I can get down with that too. I also like Ellis. I think it'll definitely get shortened to "holl" but like many names if you reinforce the full name enough people will catch on and just use Hollis. 
    Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
    BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
    TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
    BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • I wouldn't think to say Holly, especially for a boy.  
  • I like Hollis and I don't think it would be shortened to Holly.  I say go for it - boy or girl.

DD3 is Gabrielle, but I HATE the nn Gabby.  We correct people when it comes up, but surprisingly, it doesn't happen too often.  We (or she, she's 11) introduce her as Gabrielle and that's what people call her.
  • Jyoung327 said:
    Hollis is on my list too. Didn't think to use it for a boy, but I can get down with that too. I also like Ellis. I think it'll definitely get shortened to "holl" but like many names if you reinforce the full name enough people will catch on and just use Hollis. 
    Ellis is one of my favorite names too!! It would SO be on our list, except that it sounds very much like a combination of our older children's names, which are Noelle and Emerson.  :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• antoto said:
    I love the name James, but hate the nicknames Jim or Jimmy. This is what family has been telling us our baby will be called if we name him James.
    FWIW my nephew is James and no one has ever called him anything else.  
    DS is James and no one calls him anything else, either. In general, people will call your kid what you tell them to call your kid. My family kept saying they were going to call him "Jimmy" and I said "Well, his name is James, soooo" and that was the end of it.