December 2017 Moms

STM+ Check-in 8/23

How far along are you? Boy/Girl/ Team Green/Surprise?

How old are your other kids? 

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM or questions about things your children are going through now?  

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : 

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions/

GTKY: Tell us anything you did to prep for your first baby that you definitely will or will not be repeating for this baby.

Married May 2014
DD born August 2016
Baby #2 due December 2017

Re: STM+ Check-in 8/23

• How far along are you? Boy/Girl/ Team Green/Surprise? 24 weeks, girl

How old are your other kids? DS is 19 months

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM or questions about things your children are going through now?  DS is firmly in toddler territory and no longer a 'baby'. it makes me sad :(

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : I bought DS a babydoll and we've been pretending to feed her and burp her and he's so adorable with it. It really makes me happy! I mean... he also drags her around by her foot, but one step at a time! haha. 

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions/ I just cant wait to see DH with a baby girl! He has no idea what he is in for! haha

GTKY: Tell us anything you did to prep for your first baby that you definitely will or will not be repeating for this baby. With DS we had his nursery all set up and ready even though he was in our room for the first 2 months. This time I think we'll just set everything up in our room, and leave the guest room for now, since we basically have a second room within our room so we don't need to worry about the space. (we moved since DS was born). I'm trying to decide whether or not to move DS or wait though...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • How far along are you? Boy/Girl/ Team Green/Surprise?
    22 weeks- girl

DD is 15 months
    Current challenges/concerns about being a STM or questions about things your children are going through now?  
    Things are going well right now.  I mean, as well as they can be when you have a toddler running around! ;)
    She's becoming such a little person and it is so fun to watch how much she is learning.  Today I said "Do you want lunch?" and she ran to the kitchen and over to the refrigerator!  I've always talked to her, but it's so clear that she understands a lot more of what I'm saying lately. 
    Any SAHM in the group?  How do you manage to stay sane?  Any routines/activities/tips that you have found helpful?  I am taking this school year off, and while I am excited for time with DD and the baby, I am nervous because I have always worked!
    GTKY: Tell us anything you did to prep for your first baby that you definitely will or will not be repeating for this baby.
    I took a child birth class when pregnant with DD.  It was super helpful and I am so glad I did.  I am not taking it this time because it is all pretty fresh in my head still, but it is something I encourage all FTM to do.  I felt like I had a better understanding of what my body was doing during labor and was much more prepared then if I hadn't taken in. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
    23+5, boy 

DS1 will be 4 in 1 month! Cue all the tears 

My current challenge is bed time. My son used to sleep in his crib/bed in his room without issue. Then when he was 2 he was hospitalized for pneumonia and hasn't slept in his room since. He was sleeping in his toddler bed for awhile in our room at the end of our bed but now he's in our bed. We keep putting him back in his bed but he ends up in our bed multiple times every night. And to top it off, he won't go to sleep by himself so I have to stay with him until he falls asleep. This isn't that problematic right now but when baby comes it is going to be difficult especially the days my husband is on shift at the firehouse. I know I need some tough love here but I'm struggling hard with mom guilt about just drawing the line. 

Just happy to see DS1 get so excited 

see above! Any ideas on the bedtime issue? 

We made a nursery for DS1; totally skipping that this time around for many reasons - 1) baby slept in our room for first 6 months anyway and 2) we are hopefully moving soon and both kids will eventually share a room so we will decorate accordingly when that time comes. Also, with DS1 we had a nursery theme so we had the sheets and quilt and crib sham all matching.  Which was pointless Bc it was all for decoration. I would have just went with a color scheme instead maybe. 
    DH: 34 | Me: 35
    DS1 9/24/13
    DX Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Factor V Leiden Mutation, Secondary Infertility
    MFI (SA #1
    Count 11mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    MFI (SA #2Count 7 mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    Oct. 2016: Clomid + TI
    IVF: ER 3/1/17; 5 retrieved, 3 mature & fertilized
    Results: 2 PGS normal embryos
    Planned on August 2017 transfer
    **TW**
    Natural BFP 4/3/17,Expecting baby boy via RCS 12/7/17

• How far along are you? Boy/Girl/ Team Green/Surprise? 23 weeks, surprise

How old are your other kids? DD is 1 year old

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM or questions about things your children are going through now?  Just waiting for DD to walk! She spends a lot of time standing up and squatting down. She gets so excited when she stands up and claps for herself. :) She's a great cruiser and will run if you hold her hands, but still no steps on her own. 

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : Happy I will have more time at home before going back to work part-time, but concerned my recovery may be harder and it still may not be enough time

I made a bunch of freezer meals before DD was born and I really hope to do that again--it came in so handy last time. When we get a little further along, I'll probably make a post so we can share recipes. 

@kaylawing Not a SAHM (and not sure how they do it!) but one thing that might be helpful to look into is storytimes around town. Our library has a great storytime during the week (That I planned to go to all summer with DD only to find out they only do it during the school year. SIGH. But they did have some fun summer reading activities). The "storytime" there also involves singing songs, finger play, etc., so it lets the older ones get some energy out as well, and it's a good way to meet other SAHMs. We've also done playdates with a neighbor and some of her SAHM friends--I'd definitely make sure we were doing that on the regular if I were home all the time. 

@flowerpower5838 I have been there! It comes and goes, but I have definitely had the "what are we doing?!" anxiety. How will we handle 2? Will DD be ok? Will DH and I be ok with the munchkins sucking up most of our time and all of our sleep? I've definitely had some good cries over it. Then, other days, I'm like, "Other people do it. We'll survive." Hope you get through the anxiety cloud soon. 

@Marley629 tough! Did you do any sleep training the first time around, or was he just a pretty good sleeper on his own til 2? At 4, I would think you could start setting some bed rules for him that he should understand (but I only have a one-year-old, so what do I know?) I understand the guilt, just remember you will ALL sleep better if you can get him back in his room and it's better to do it now than to try to do it once baby is here. So, you're really doing him a favor by helping him develop better sleep habits. I know some people have success with the method of leading kids back to bed, telling them the first time to sleep in their bed, and then every other time, just lead them back without saying anything. That way, you're giving them no reinforcement to keep coming back--they can't stay in your room, and they're not even getting attention/conversation about it. I think that's maybe a super nanny technique (that show doesn't exist anymore, does it?). Anyway, Good luck!

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • Ok now for my real update...

23 weeks

17 months

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM or questions about things your children are going through now?  I feel like DS has been watching WAY too much TV lately and I just worry that it won't ever end with a new baby.

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : Ummmmm the jury is out right now lol. Of course I have the normal "I'm excited for DS to be a big bro" etc. but aside from that....

Don't get me wrong - I am excited and I know TONS of people do it but I am starting to have anxiety about working and paying for daycare and all that jazz. 

Rants/Raves/Randoms/QuestionsSee above

GTKY: Tell us anything you did to prep for your first baby that you definitely will or will not be repeating for this baby. This little one will not have a nursery. I'm feeling a little guilty about that because DS' is adorable and I spent a lot of time and energy on it, but we are planning on moving sometime next year so it seems like a waste. 

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• @flowerpower5838  no advice, just internet hugs

@Marley629  i think @cait5413  gave some really good advice. i know it will be hard but sleep is SO IMPORTANT for EACH of you. your DS is definitely old enough for some sleep rules and reinforcement. now is absolutely the time, instead of waiting until you also have a screaming newborn. plus, if you can get him back into his own room, you won't all be sleep deprived by the infant at the same time. i agree that some combination of approaches would include explaining to him the new rules, and repeatedly putting him back to bed IN SILENCE with absolutely no conversation, stimulation, or other attention. literally just get up and put him back into bed, over and over again. obviously you will have a conversation with him about this in advance, to explain how things are going to change, since sleep is important for everyone. you can even make a physical chart that says "DS's sleep rules: ..." and put it next to his bed. as much as the tone of weissbluth's book (healthy sleep habits, happy child") can be so abrasive, the actual advice in it is very good and he covers a lot of situations. he just did not master the habit of speaking in a way that is not condescending. if he wants to be close to you as an attachment thing, you can have a brainstorming session about what would help him be comfortable in his bed. if he comes up with the ideas himself, they are more likely to work. this goes for the falling asleep thing too - you don't want to be stuck doing this when you have new LO here. good luck, we're hear to talk!

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • How far along are you? Boy/Girl/ Team Green/Surprise?  25w 3d, boy

DS is 2y 11mo

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM or questions about things your children are going through now?   Still in potty training limbo but the miralax has helped and he will poop in his diaper when I ask him to but not at school. Had a talk with his daycare provider and she agrees not to pressure him about pooping on the potty. He is trained for pee and has the muscle control etc. to be fully trained but just has to decide he wants to. We'll be in this zone til he literally wakes up one day and informs me he's going to poop on the potty now. That's just what he's like, haha!

Still procrastinating about double stroller shopping. The price range is so large. If DS were a year younger, I wouldn't hesitate to shell out for a pricier double. I'm not sure how much we'll use it / how long he'll fit. 

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : DS is so excited and so dang cute. He's always been obsessed with babies (real ones and baby dolls). I know there will be some jealousy but I think he's going to be equally as excited when his brother is here. Every time a new baby is born to our friends or comes to daycare, he spends so much time with the baby, reading and playing and pretending, helping, taking care of the baby. I don't know why he's so obsessed but I love it!

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions/  Ummm. I mentioned in my Monday Ticker Change - I signed up for what I like to joke is an octogenarian exercise class  :D  water walking. It doesn't start til after Labor Day. I'm hopeful it will help me keep up the exercise I've been doing while taking the weight off my joints, pelvis, and poor aching knees for one day a week. I have no idea what to expect. I'm not normally nervous about these kinds of things but I just don't want to be the only "young" person there haha!

Nothing exciting I can think of. We took hospital classes last time which we won't repeat but I do recommend for FTMs. We prepped the nursery, which we are re-using, so no new prep is really necessary. I might ADD freezer meal prep except we just got our meat order in (we periodically, like every year or two, order a 1/4 of a cow from a nearby farm) and our chest freezer is literally full to bursting. Unless we make headway before November, there isn't an inch of space for freezer meals. 

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited August 2017
    23 weeks - boy

DD is 2

Got back into the habit of co-sleeping with DD (husband works nights) while I was so sick in 1st tri.  I did not have the energy lay down with her to put her to bed and then get up and go to mine.  So we're going to have to work on breaking that habit again and I'm dreading it so I keep putting it off.  Tonight may be the night!

I feel like I always answer this the same.. but I can't wait to watch DD and new baby interact!  We've spent a lot of time at the park the last couple of weeks since the weather has been nice and DD does so well playing with other kids.  I can't wait to watch her and her little brother together!

Why don't parents control their kids at the park?! Or any play place really.  DH and I are always where we can see DD if not right beside her playing, while all these other kids (younger and older) are running around crazy, throwing things, stealing toys, mowing DD down... There were a couple of older kids at the park that wanted to "help" DD play and kept trying to pick her up.  At one point, one kid had her feet and the other had her under her arms trying to "help" her.  I went mama-bear and yelled at them while their grandma just watched.  Other kids stress me out.

I over-prepped for DD, as most first time parents do.  I had clothes for newborn - 12months organized in her little closet, and had way too many of each size.  I'm trying to control myself better with this baby.. but the clothes are so cute!  I have plenty of 0-3, so I'm going to just get a couple of newborn sleepers just in case and then get some 3-6 month stuff and be done! ...maybe...
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• @kaylawing SAHM here!  Have been for about a year now.  I always felt best when DD and I got out of the house to do something, even if it was just a walk.  We went almost every day last summer and it was wonderful.  I'd agree with checking in to activities in your area, I'm not great at "scheduling" things because it seemed that as soon as we would get into one routine, DD would cut another tooth, or catch a cold, or go through a sleep regression :#  so we just kind of did whatever worked for us, whenever it worked.  This summer has been totally different since I was super sick 1st tri, then had to have my gallbladder removed a few weeks ago, plus the pregnancy exhaustion... but I'm hoping to get back into the habit of taking the kids out to walk/the park next summer since DS will be about 6 months old and able to enjoy being outside with DD. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• @anewadventure & @cait5413 thank you both! Great ideas; I had a conversation with DH about implementing these and sooner than later and he's on board too.  I know we will all be happier in the end if we are all sleeping better.  
    DH: 34 | Me: 35
    DS1 9/24/13
    DX Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Factor V Leiden Mutation, Secondary Infertility
    MFI (SA #1
    Count 11mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    MFI (SA #2Count 7 mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    Oct. 2016: Clomid + TI
    IVF: ER 3/1/17; 5 retrieved, 3 mature & fertilized
    Results: 2 PGS normal embryos
    Planned on August 2017 transfer
    **TW**
    Natural BFP 4/3/17,Expecting baby boy via RCS 12/7/17

• sjissjis member

21w 5d, boy

DD is 3, turning 4 in Feb

Reallt trying to balance working at home, getting sleep, staying sane. 

I slowly started buying stuff this week which is getting me excited! We are thrilled to be having a boy :)

so on my last anatomy scan the Dr informed me I have a two cord vessel (single artery umbilical). The Dr seemed very unconcerned about it since everything else is normal. On another follow up appointment, the doctor again reiterated that it's nothing to worry over. Baby will be fine. But of course there's the small worry in the back of my head. Any ladies experience this?

when I was as a Ftm, I overdid the buying of clothes, blankets, everything. This time I know better and will only get things on a need basis and trying to buy only stuff on sale or clearance. 

@kaylawing
    I'm a SAHM but I also work from home. I've been fortunate to work from home the past ten years, but with a kid now I get small chunks of time now. My advice like @lovelylittledahls said is to try to get out of the house for a little. Perhaps a mommy and me class once a week or to find an indoor playground (if your winters are cold). Also it helps to have a sitter, grandparent, relative take your other child for a few hours to give you a break at least once a week. And as baby gets older have them watch both kids to give yourself a piece of sanity. It's easy to lose yourself in the humdrum of home life and kids. I always try to work a little, read a book even tho it will take me ages to finish and try to set goals. Most importantly don't be hard on yourself when there are dark days alone with the kids, it happens!
  • Thanks for all the sahm advice. I've decided to do a little bit of substitute teaching day or two a week until baby comes so that I can get out of the house a bit/see all my old teacher friends. I'm looking into some mommy/me classes or playgroups too. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    23 weeks, another boy!

DS will be 2 in December 

Just getting sentimental about it no longer being just me and DS. :(

so excited to see the relationship between DS and new baby. I hope and pray they will be close their whole lives. Also looking forward to co sleeping again. I loved the snuggles haha. 

Not really anything I can think of

we won't be doing a nursery either since we co slept for 10 months before. We are also going to be moving next year, so there's no need. I second the freezer meals! We did that last time and it was a life saver. Hoping to get a chest freezer this time around. 

• @alyssaleighw totally sentimental over here too. Putting him to bed lately has been a recipe for tears lol it's my favourite part of the day just cuddling with him when he's all sleepy and I don't know how it will be once the new baby is here  :'(
  • kvacmak said:
    @alyssaleighw totally sentimental over here too. Putting him to bed lately has been a recipe for tears lol it's my favourite part of the day just cuddling with him when he's all sleepy and I don't know how it will be once the new baby is here  :'(
    Don't get me started, I won't stop crying! Lol. I made a bucket list of things for him and I to do before baby comes. Hoping that will help make me feel less guilty once baby is here. 
  • Hey Mommas! this is my second pregnancy but I am not remembering if this was something I experienced with my first. There are multiple times throughout the day when I feel like this baby is having a seizure (for lack of a better word). It's not hiccups, it's not just normal punching or kicking, it's really like she's twitching out of control. I want to say I read/heard about this with my first and it was 'normal' but I don't honestly remember. Any insight is very helpful!  
  • @Henderson2015
    I totally remember that happening with DS, he was fine! Have had a few moments like that with this babe too.