Infertility

September IVF

Re: September IVF

• @DecemberDoll27 it was the Lupron. The office closes early on Friday so I'll call on Monday but I'm hoping because it wasn't much over it'll be alright! 

@latvaughanash that's my hope! When will you be getting meds? I'm hoping it'll cool down from here on
    Me & DH: 28  |  TTC since May 2016  |  DH: Morphology 0%  |  2 IUI's with Clomid - BFN  |  IVF ICSI Sept. 2017
  • Good news! They said the lupron should still be fine to use :smile: Really didn't want to have to reorder! 
    Me & DH: 28  |  TTC since May 2016  |  DH: Morphology 0%  |  2 IUI's with Clomid - BFN  |  IVF ICSI Sept. 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • Phew, what a relief @esikes1228

Are you guys starting lupron before you stop birth control pills?

• @adirat my Dr did not start me on Lupron at all. I did 2 weeks of BCP , I am currently on Estrace ( 10 days of that) and then back on BCP till we start stimming on Sept 3rd... I have a weird protocol but I am not questioning the Dr ( google told me he is good and I am going with it)
    Me 30, DH 39
    TTC since Aug 2015, 
    BFP Apr 2017 - late diagnosed EP, right tube removed, left tube scarred.
    Dx: tubal IF
    IVF Sept 2017, 7 R, 6M, 6F- 4 blasts, 1 transferred fresh - CP
    FET #1 Dec 2017- BFN
    FET #2 Jan 2018- CP
    FET #3 BFP!!! EDD 12/15/2018!
  • @adirat I'll have one day of overlap for lupron and birth control. Sept. 2 is my first Lupron shot and my last day of birth control (halleluiah!!).

@DecemberDoll27 what does the Estrace do? Honestly I'm not even sure what's "normal" protocol at this point, whatever works :smile: ! It seems like it's all a little different for everyone. 
  • @esikes1228 Estrace is estradiol and I have no clue what it does. And I try to stay away from Dr Google so I am just putting my faith into our Dr.
    Me 30, DH 39
    TTC since Aug 2015, 
    FET #1 Dec 2017- BFN
    FET #2 Jan 2018- CP
  • sunnyrain2sunnyrain2 member
    edited August 2017
    Hi  I was on the Bump in 2014 but couldn't remember my login so had to reincarnate.  I'm very familiar with infertility and IVF.  We're TTC # 2.  We had a failed IVF in March, failed FET in May and on to another IVF in September.  I was diagnosed with HBP last year so no BCP for me.  

I'll be doing an antagonist cycle this time around.  RE is bumping up my stims slightly this go around which makes me a bit nervous.  I have PCOS and have never taken more than 300 units of stim meds.  I get lots of eggs but have issues with maturity, quality, and fertilization.

This time I'll do 200 Follistim and 150 Menopur.  I had to take cabergoline last IVF in March due to high estrogen to help prevent OHSS so even a slightly higher dose in meds makes me nervous  
    Melissa 39 - DH 45
    TTC # 1 - 4 years, 7 IUIs, 3 IVF, 1 FET, 2 M/C, DD 2015 :)
    TTC # 2 - IVF # 4 March 2017 Long Lupron, 150 Gonal F, 150 Menopur
                                 21R, 12M, 7F, Transferred 2 Froze 1 - BFN
                    FET # 2  May 2017 - BFN
                    IVF # 5 Sep 2017 - Antagonist, no BCP.  200 iu Follistim, 150 iu Menopur, Cetrotide started day 5, Lupron trigger
                                 19R, 13M, 12F, No Transfer - 2 "beautiful" blasts frozen
                    FET # 3 Nov 2017
  • Welcome @sunnyrain2! It is nice to have somebody with previous IVF experience in here! Any words of wisdom?

AFM, I have an appointment with my OB this afternoon. My fertility clinic requires him to sign a form and clear me for egg retrieval. Does anybody else have to do that? I am freaking out because I have way too many bad experiences associated with going to my OB's office. ( not his fault but more of my health issues) I just have irrational fear that something will go wrong again. 
    Me 30, DH 39
    TTC since Aug 2015, 
    FET #1 Dec 2017- BFN
    FET #2 Jan 2018- CP
  • @esikes1228 I'm still so unsure of my schedule! Just called my doctor's office this morning to check in on it. They said about a week to get my whole IVF calendar to find out when I start what, and it was a week yesterday... really hoping to get it in the next few days. He did go over with me what medicines he wants me to use, but not when I'll be starting each one.

@DecemberDoll27  That's so interesting that you have to have your OB sign a form... I have never heard of that before! 

TTC since 2012 | Unexplained Infertility -- Sept 2017 found cyst seemingly confirming previously suspected endometriosis | IVF Sept/Oct 2017 Negative | FET scheduled early December

"When peace, like a river, attendeth my way, When sorrows like sea billows roll; Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say, It is well, it is well, with my soul."

• @sunnyrain2 Welcome back! I can understand being nervous about that, I'm sure they're doing it based on your last IVF cycle but it still is nerve wracking to have them change something. I know for me it's hard because I understand enough about what is going on to be able to be concerned (and you know your body) but I don't know enough to be able to tell when they're maybe doing something I'd disagree with. The amount of questions I ask my DH who is a PA is embarrassing lol Do you mind me asking what worked with #1? 

@DecemberDoll27 I haven't heard of that either.  Finger crossed that everything comes back as they need it! Let us know how it goes!
  • @Decemberdoll27 I didn't have to do that, but my RE did ask me to go get an annual well-woman exam with a pap smear before starting IVF since I hadn't had one since early 2016. I hope it all goes smoothly!

@sunnyrain2 Welcome! I agree with @decemberdoll27, it's nice to have someone here who is more of an IVF vet (and success story with your first). I hope the new protocol works for you.

• Thank you ladies! I think my RE is more demanding this way because we are doing a warranty program ( so we pay lots of money for 3 cycles plus meds upfront, but then if no success after 3 cycles they will give us 75% of our money back). It is more expansive than a normal IVF program but it takes the edge off mentally a little bit and the FET's are also included! That program was one of the reasons we chose our RE 
    Me 30, DH 39
    TTC since Aug 2015, 
    FET #1 Dec 2017- BFN
    FET #2 Jan 2018- CP
  • YEY, my appointment went well and we are one step closer to IVF! TW* My step son's mom had a baby today with her new hubby! I am jealous a little but mostly happy because they struggled with IF too. So I choose to look at it as a good sign! I also was the one who called the date, she was not due until Sept 5th. *end TW

Next big thing is our base line appointment on Monday... 

Also I have a question for you all: how do I update my signature on here?
    Me 30, DH 39
    TTC since Aug 2015, 
    FET #1 Dec 2017- BFN
    FET #2 Jan 2018- CP
    edited August 2017
    @DecemberDoll27 If you're on the computer you go to the Account Options menu (little head and shoulders on upper right of screen) and you can add a signature there.  I'm not sure about mobile.  
    Melissa 39 - DH 45
                    FET # 2  May 2017 - BFN
                    IVF # 5 Sep 2017 - Antagonist, no BCP.  200 iu Follistim, 150 iu Menopur, Cetrotide started day 5, Lupron trigger
                    FET # 3 Nov 2017
    edited August 2017
    What worked for my daughter I think was just time.  I'll run through the cycle breakdown.  I tried something new each time.  

IVF #1 2012 5 weeks bcp due to scheduling and inconsistent PCOS cycles, long Lupron, 300 Bravell/Menopur (actual doses changed a few times but always stayed 300 e.g. 150 bravelle/150 Menopur, 75 Bravelle, 225 Menopur, etc).  I had inconsistent growth and we ended up sacrafacing two eggs to over maturity trying to get the rest to catch up.  16R, 7M, 5F, transferred 2 blasts, froze 1, BFP, D&C @ 10 weeks

IVF #2 2013 5 weeks bcp, long Lupron, 300 Bravelle, microdose hcg (RE thought I didn't respond to Menopur well), 27R, 17M, 7F, transfer 2 3day embryos, grew 1 to blast and froze. BFN

IVF #3 2014 5 weeks bcp, 300 Follistim, microdose hcg, Cetrotide (1 dose only), half hcg/lupron trigger, 33R, 28M, 20F, transfer 2 morulas, none to freeze.  BFP - DD 2015

By the time IVF # 3 came around I was just going through the motions and had stopped being super careful.  I wasn't on any supplements, I had stopped doing acupuncture (did for 3 months before each other cycle), no bedrest.  This was a new clinic and my old RE required 3-5 days of bed rest after transfer.  I was surprised as hell when the cycle worked.  

I'm older now and have more health issues so I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic.  I know we had to do 4 transfers last time before we had a successful cycle so I keep that in mind, but after two failed cycles it's a little hard.  None of my prior cycles were spectacular despite having large amounts of eggs retrieved, so I do realize that numbers aren't everything.  After 4 ER's I've always had three embryos on transfer day, three times I was able to freeze that third embryo, one time not.  
    Melissa 39 - DH 45
                    FET # 2  May 2017 - BFN
                    FET # 3 Nov 2017
  • This is the best website I've seen for injection videos, especially the IM ones.  I make DH watch it when he has to give me the IM injections.  https://haveababy.com/infertility-treatments/in-vitro-fertilization-ivf/ivf-injections/injection-instructions-introduction

The anesthesia from the ER is constipating and with all of the pressure from large ovaries it gets uncomfortable.  Take a stool softner starting with the trigger for as long as you need it.  It will help.  

The last few days will be uncomfortable though you might feel a bit better after the trigger.  Recovery after ER depends on the person.  I take two days off of work but my left ovary likes to hide and they usually have to push on my abs to get it to pop to the front to retrieve the eggs so I get pretty sore. 
    Melissa 39 - DH 45
                    FET # 2  May 2017 - BFN
                    FET # 3 Nov 2017
  • @DecemberDoll27 so glad everything went smoothly! I wish our dr. had a warranty program, I was bummed to find out they didn't. It's still a stressful process regardless but it'd have been nice to not put so much pressure on it to work the first time! 

@sunnyrain2 I've heard about the constipation so that is super helpful(as well as your other tips)! As if we aren't uncomfortable enough :smirk: About how far in advance did you know your ER date? I know they're monitoring you so it could change, we were given about a week window of when it should fall between. 

AFM, I've had some break through spotting from being on bcp for over a month. Called my RE to make sure they didn't want me to double up or do anything different and they were ok with it as long as it's light spotting. The last 2 weeks have flown by but now it feels like the next 2 will draaag. I don't think would have ever guessed that there would be a time I'd be counting down the days to when I can start sticking myself with needles :joy: I was the kid who had to be held down by 5 people just to get 1 shot until I was about 12. Oh the irony!
  • @sunnyrain2 thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! It looks like your IVF journey was not an easy one. I wish you all the luck with this upcoming cycle.

@esikes1228 I hear you about injections.... I hope my DH will be able to do it for me ( he trained as a paramedic in the army). If not then I am screwed because it is harder to do it on yourself... But on the bright side I put on 10 extra lbs this summer so my stomach has extra fat to inject into! Never in my life I thought I would be excited about gaining weight. Even though I am now a little chunkier than I like but my BMI is 24 and my RE said not to lose any weight for now.

As for me, paranoia is kicking in and the time seems to stop all together. I can't sleep during the night because I can't stop thinking about every little thing that can go wrong. I know that I am only supposed to think positive thoughts but I can't help it. 5 days till the baseline, 11 days till I start stimming....
    Me 30, DH 39
    TTC since Aug 2015, 
    FET #1 Dec 2017- BFN
    FET #2 Jan 2018- CP
  • @sunnyrain2 Agreed, thank you for sharing that! 

STILL waiting for my schedule from my doctor to find out the exact protocol and timing I'll be doing, it's driving me insane. But also a good test in patience. :) Any day now...

For those of you that have done it before or are doing it... my doctor is VERY conservative. Basically, if it's not proven to help your chances, he just doesn't want you to worry too much about it. (I can't imagine his reaction if I discussed the pineapple eating for helping with implantation, haha.)  

Strict bed rest for days, certain supplements helping fertility, etc he just isn't that focused on. I'm totally fine with this, but still do lots of things because (as he agrees), if it makes me feel more in control that can be helpful! Anyways, I've been debating about how I'm going to treat myself after the transfer. Just curious what others are doing and or what their doctors are saying? A few days bed rest? Just base it on how you feel during all of this?

TTC since 2012 | Unexplained Infertility -- Sept 2017 found cyst seemingly confirming previously suspected endometriosis | IVF Sept/Oct 2017 Negative | FET scheduled early December

"When peace, like a river, attendeth my way, When sorrows like sea billows roll; Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say, It is well, it is well, with my soul."

• @latvaughanash you need to contact your Dr. and be strong with the nurse! I was also promised a schedule within a week but it took about 10 days and 2-3 calls.
     Also I don't have a bed rest after transfer, my Dr just said he wants me to be happy and not stress! And no Marathons. So I am planning on Netflix and take out! No stress and rest! I am probably gonna bake something yummy and knit))
    Me 30, DH 39
    TTC since Aug 2015, 
    FET #1 Dec 2017- BFN
    FET #2 Jan 2018- CP
  • @esikes1228  I had a tentative ER date based on how long the RE thought I would be on stims.  I usually give my boss a heads up that I'll be off for a couple of days around a particular time but won't know the exact date until around 48 hours prior.  I've stimmed as long as 12 days and as few as 8, my RE's generally estimate 10 days of stims when giving scheduling dates.  

@latvaughanash My original RE said that 8 days post ER was the sweet spot so he recommended couch rest for 3 days if a 5 day transfer or 5 days for a 3 day transfer.  Most RE's aren't doing bed/couch rest anymore thinking that it's important to keep the blood flowing.  My last two RE's said to just go about my normal life, though there were weight restrictions in what I could pick up (I think nothing more than 10 lbs).  My first 3 transfers I did the rest, the 4th I took the day off and relaxed, the last two I went back to work after.  This time I may take the day and go do something relaxing, it's hard not to work and pick up restricted things at home.  I haven't been to the movie theater in ages so maybe I'll go to one of those super cushy ones with the recliners 
    Melissa 39 - DH 45
                    FET # 2  May 2017 - BFN
                    FET # 3 Nov 2017
  • @latvaughanash I'm going to see where I'm at closer to the transfer (and see how many days I need for ER since I only have so many sick days). I've seen everything from a a day or two to two weeks, some with bed rest, some without. So I'm going to for sure take probably the day of and the day after and see how I'm feeling! 
  • @DecemberDoll27 Thank you for that encouragement... I've really been struggling with not wanting to be annoying, but I NEED my schedule! :wink: Technically I'm actually waiting for it to schedule a pretty big meeting at work, so it's not just me being impatient. I'll have to give them a call today to check in again.
    @sunnyrain2 I really like the idea of just focusing on relaxing, opposed to "bed rest"!

• @latvaughanash it's so hard to be patient when it feels like your whole life is on hold for this! (or at least it does for me :wink: ) But honestly, I've seen from my DH side of things that with how many people they see and work with everyday, it'd be easy for things to fall through the cracks so it never hurts to follow up with them just to make sure you don't! This is a big deal! 
  • Hey ladies! I'm curious, are you guys doing genetic testing? (on you and your DH and/or your embryos? )
  • @esikes1228 We did genetic testing of both of us when we started with the RE in January. I highly recommend it. We are doing the embryo testing because of our situation. 

(longer explanation -- tw) I turned out to have a genetic condition on my x chromosome that causes my IF/premature ovarian insufficiency. I got pregnant the cycle of my HSG, before starting treatment, and had a second trimester loss because my fetus had a much more serious version of the condition I carry. So we are doing pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) to screen the embryos for the condition, and for the chromosomes (PGS). Unfortunately I have about a 1/3 chance of having the same thing happen again, hence doing IVF to screen out the embryos. My loss was devastating. I can't even articulate how horrible it was. So anything I can do to reduce my chances of loss is worthwhile to me, especially because I am the carrier of the condition and can't go through the guilt of passing it on again.

• @adirat I am so sorry for your loss, I can't even imagine what you have been through. Virtual hug!

@esikes1228 We are not doing any genetic screening for now but might do it if our first cycle is not successful. So far our RE does not suggest it.

AFM, had my baseline appointment today! So far 8 follicles less than 10 mm, but the nurse said ones I start stimming more will pop up ( fingers crossed). They also took some blood and only will call me if something is wrong. Otherwise starting injections on Sunday! I am afraid to jinx it with my excitement. When are you guys starting? 
    Me 30, DH 39
    TTC since Aug 2015, 
    FET #1 Dec 2017- BFN
    FET #2 Jan 2018- CP
  • @decemberdoll27 Wow! You are so close to starting! Hoping for such a good response with more popping up :) I won't start until mid-September at the earliest so I'm eager to learn from you!

• @adirat I'm so sorry for what you went through, I can't imagine and I don't blame you one bit for wanting to avoid going through that again at all costs.  I also didn't understand the difference between PGS and PGD so glad you mentioned those.

I think we are in a similar place as @DecemberDoll27. Our RE didn't suggest it based on our history but if we have any issues with this first round we'll probably do it then.

@DecemberDoll27 ahhh how exciting!!! How often will you be going in for monitoring? Excited to see people starting!

I'm starting Lupron injections this Saturday and my baseline is a week from Wednesday(eeep so close yet so far!). I won't get a schedule of my medications until my baseline and it's driving me crazy! Still lots of spotting so just praying that my bcp keeps everything as it needs to for just a few more days until I start the Lupron. 
  • @adirat I am happy to help but I don't know about learning from me, as I am usually a hot mess and don't know what I what's happening! 

@esikes1228 if everything is good with my blood test I will start Menopur ( 4 vials every morning) on Sunday and go for a blood test on Sept 5th and US+blood on Sept 7th... I don't have a schedule after that because it depends on the results... Retrieval is tentatively scheduled for Sept 12th( day 10 of stims). Hope it helps!

also @esikes1228 which BCP are you on? I am on Yazmin and my nurse said that spotting and light bleeding while on it is completely normal. So don't panic!
    Me 30, DH 39
    TTC since Aug 2015, 
    FET #1 Dec 2017- BFN
    FET #2 Jan 2018- CP
  • @esikes1228 Yeah PGD is for a specific genetic condition and PGS is to check that the chromosomes are correct in number to reduce miscarriage chances. At our lab, if you do PGD then PGS is included. Which is good because it is so expensive! 

@DecemberDoll27 Interesting, I'm on Desogen for bcp and (knock wood) haven't had any spotting yet. @esikes1228 my doc said that spotting is fine so I hope all looks good for you at the scan! 

• I finally got my schedule!  :) But I think I'll be behind most of you... my first appointment/suppression check is September 18th, so my estimated transfer date at this point will be at the beginning of October.

We also are not doing any genetic testing; our doctor really just didn't feel it was necessary for us, so I felt okay skipping it for now. We did do some genetic carrier blood test (Counsyl), just because it made me feel better to do something

This weekend I really started struggling on my birth control (previfem). It's been giving me an upset stomach, as I was warned it might, but I'm starting to have some anxiety issues as well, similar to what I had with Clomid. Hopefully that'll even out. My body just doesn't love hormone changes anymore, haha!

• @latvaughanash I'll be right there with you! We won't start until Sept. 15 at the earliest. Sorry to hear all the issues you're having on the pill. I hope it evens out for you.

It's interesting to me that everyone is on a different type of birth control. I guess each doctor has his or her own preference. 

• @adirat ah ok! That makes a lot more sense now! I agree, it's interesting that everyone's on different bcp. My doctor offered a different one due to migraines so I don't know how set they are on mine but I'm sure they have a go-to. 

@DecemberDoll27 I'm on sprintec(?)! My RE told me the same thing, and said it was especially common since I've been on it for almost 6 weeks straight! I guess I just am so ready and feel like I've waited for so long, I keep waiting for something to happen (Like getting my period early) . TTC has been filled with so many highs and lows, it's hard to just relax and trust but I'm getting there! 

@latvaughanash you're not alone in struggling with the bcp. It's a high emotional time but i've had multiple panic attacks since being on mine and have struggled a little with depression. I'm sorry you're struggling, how much longer do you have to be on it? I hope that it'll level out for you, hormones are no joke with any of this! 
  • I spoke too soon -- I guess I jinxed myself because I had some bcp spotting last night :( 

@loverin Did you change your username? Just want to make sure it's still you!:)

• @loverin I'm on it until September 13th... which seems so far away, haha! I know it'll come fast though. As I've mentioned before, we're in the midst of tons of home remodeling and projects so this whole year is flying by for me!

• @adirat I've had spotting for a few weeks now, I'm sure it's fine! It is still me :smile:. I've tried to change my username since I started my account but could never figure out how to until today! 

@latvaughanash not too much longer! I stop mine this Sunday and I feel like this week is craaaaaaawling but I don't have big projects like that to keep me busy! We did a project recently and you're right, it makes the time fly!
  • I've been waiting for AF so I could do my baseline check.  I started heavy spotting this afternoon which is 3-4 days sooner than I was expecting.  I guess it works out since my cycle was a few days late last month, guess I'm getting back on track.  I called and left a message for my nurse to see when she needs me to come in for baseline.  I'm supposed to go out of town for a quick two day trip in the morning so I hope it doesn't throw things off.  Then I'll be starting stims and I have to travel to Canada for work the 5th-7th.  This is going to be a hectic cycle, at least I'll be kept too busy to worry
    Melissa 39 - DH 45
                    FET # 2  May 2017 - BFN
                    FET # 3 Nov 2017
  • Well, it's September! How's everyone holding up?

• @adirat Well I am starting stims on Sunday!!!! YEY!!! I am so excited! Ans I am off BCP since yesterday so my depression is also gone( I did not realize how much the pill affected my mood: it is a whole different world full of sunshine, glitter and unicorns now!) So hoping everything will go smoothly from now.

@sunnyrain2 congrats on the AF! We are only gonna be 3-4 days apart with our cycles! And I like the "too busy to worry approach"! TW* My step son is starting school Tuesday so it is going to be hectic for us too!*TW 
    Me 30, DH 39
    TTC since Aug 2015, 
    FET #1 Dec 2017- BFN
    FET #2 Jan 2018- CP