June 2016 Moms
Options

Plates? Spoons? Eating out?

So, my son waited week past his due date to show up so he's a couple weeks behind the majority here. I just want to know if we are in the same ballpark.  My question is where is everyone on eating off plates?  Is everyone that used a high chair still using them?  What about utensils?  Levi knows that the spoon brings food to his mouth and he tries but still mostly dumps the food before it gets there.  He's not trying to actually scoop any food yet (just me pre loading).  He still basically grabs a handful off the tray cave man style.  I do use a divided plate more often now but still have to only give him a little at a time (from a separate plate) due to the cave man style.  
Am I behind on this?  I know at daycare they feed off plates  in booster type chairs  at a table so im going to try to remember today to ask how he does.
Also at restaurants, he does really well sitting in the hich chair.  I usually just order something for myself I can share with him and he takes bites from my fork or I hand a piece of whatever to him a bite at a time.  Is this basically what you guys are doing?  
I'm one of those people that doesn't want my kid to cause a scene or leave a huge mess like I see sometimes and I feel starting at home is how it's done.  Now, will it happen? I'm sure at some point I will be totally embarrassed but hey that's parenting right?  But I will absolutely not tolerate it being the norm and Im just a first timer not wanting to fall behind or expect too much too soon. Thanks!  Sorry so long....it didn't seem that word in my head.

Re: Plates? Spoons? Eating out?

• Options
    Jackie was born late too (June 26) so we're behind most people in age too. I wouldn't worry too much about them using utensils yet. I feel like that's several months down the line since it's such a fine motor skill. I usually offer utensils so she can practice handling them. She practices stabbing at things but has yet to be successful. And besides making a mess with yogurt we haven't really attempted spoons. At home we use suction bowls and the high chair tray and it usually ends up being finger food.

As for eating at restaurants I pretty much do the same as you. I keep cheerios and a pouch in my bag in case there's nothing to share with her, but otherwise she eats off the table or bites off my fork. I try to keep the mess to a minimum but refuse to stop going out because she might drop food on the floor. I do have a thing about picking up stray cheerios (I hate the crunch underfoot) but otherwise, we tip well and do what we can. Kids won't learn how to act in public unless you take them in public. That goes for noise too, not just table manners.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    I know we need to get plates for Miles, but so far, I've avoided it. He still eats off the high chair tray, most of the time. Sometimes if he asks and there isn't much food left, I'll hand him the Corelle saucer that I gathered his portion on and he picks off of that. He gets a fork with dinner and is getting a lot better at stabbing his food with it, if it's the right size. One or two inch long green beans, hunks of chicken, cubes of potato, etc. Not so great at scooping the small stuff like peas, beans, rice, etc. He prefers my fork, probably because it's not plastic and blunt like his.

When we're out, he gets some bites off my fork, especially if he's getting restless. Otherwise, it's mostly a baby wipe to the table and food is laid down there. If we bring food with us for him because we're going somewhere that he really can't eat much, like Sunday when we went bowling over lunch, I'll put the lid of the tupperware down as a plate and he does ok. Agree with @meggyme that experience is how everyone learns, both baby and you. Kids learn how to behave, and you learn the warning signs and how to better handle meltdowns in public
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank I think we are on same page!  We eat out with a group from church usually once a week, sometimes more so I try hard to be consistent in what I do.  And Amen to the Cheerios and pouch at the ready just in case!  Never leave home without them, lol.  I've actually never given him a fork but I do have one for him.  Might try that instead to see if he does any different.  
  • Options
    Savannah pretty much eats off the high chair tray, occasioNally I'll put her food in a bowl just to make it easier for me to portion. She'll use a fork and a spoon but is not very good at it. I think right now it's all just practice! Here she is with some ice cream just now, she gets it but not really lol
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Damien eats straight off the tray. We have plates and bowls but they end up on the floor. He understands the concept of the spoon but can't utilize it yet. I think I heard it's good to start helping them practice at around 18 months or so. I really don't remember.

We stopped using our Chicco 360 chair and use a Summer Infant folding chair that comes with a detachable tray. It has straps too so we can strap it to a chair easily. That's what we are using now. Works great!

Damien eats whatever I eat at restaurants or something from the kids menu if there is one and it sounds good. We can control the mess to a certain extent since he really only thro. I'm not above getting on the floor and picking up food tho. He's usually pretty well behaved, which is nice.
  • Options
    Preston was born the 9th and he still eats mostly off the high chair tray unless, like tonight, it's something that really is best kept in a small area.  I have a bowl that sticks to the tray so it's harder to toss but honestly, as long as it's food he likes, he doesn't try to throw it.  I give him a for or spoon at each meal cause he was just so interested in trying that he'd refuse to eat unless he was able to at least try on his own.  He's getting better at stabbing with the fork and he's getting the scooping idea but depending on how thick the food is, a lot falls off before he gets it to his mouth.  

For eating out we use a high chair still and we order him his own food.  He eats a lot and most kid menus have a chicken and veggies option which he loves so that reduces the risk of him dropping it.  I don't get messy food when we're out cause he still eats with his hands and drops stuff in his lap sometimes.  Honestly, I'm not worried. His cousin, who is 2, still mainly eats with his hands but does have the coordination to use a fork, just chooses not to.  Makes sense, it's easier. Lol. 
  • Options
    Damien eats straight off the tray. We have plates and bowls but they end up on the floor. He understands the concept of the spoon but can't utilize it yet. I think I heard it's good to start helping them practice at around 18 months or so. I really don't remember.

We stopped using our Chicco 360 chair and use a Summer Infant folding chair that comes with a detachable tray. It has straps too so we can strap it to a chair easily. That's what we are using now. Works great!

Damien eats whatever I eat at restaurants or something from the kids menu if there is one and it sounds good. We can control the mess to a certain extent since he really only thro. I'm not above getting on the floor and picking up food tho. He's usually pretty well behaved, which is nice.

Haha I do that all the time!  I know kids are messy and I always try to make sure his messy is at least mostly picked up so the servers don't have to slow down. Same reason I clean and stack my plates.  I used to be a server so I get it. Lol
  • Options

Haha I do that all the time!  I know kids are messy and I always try to make sure his messy is at least mostly picked up so the servers don't have to slow down. Same reason I clean and stack my plates.  I used to be a server so I get it. Lol
    Exactly! I was a server at one point as well. 
  • Options
    Sam was born on June 3 and he eats in his high chair.  From what I can tell, from comments I've gotten from most people who have seen him eat, he is not a normal eater for a 14 month old. He eats extraordinarily neat. He uses his finger and thumb eat and will eat pieces one at time, including peas and corn.  When we go to visit Grandma and Grandpa, my mom has to put food on the floor to reward their dog for staying on his bed while Sam eats because Sam rarely drops anything. I started using a suction cup plate pretty much as soon as I gave him real food. He still uses those, but he also has a Cars 3 plate that has no suction cups that is in our rotation. He does not use utensils, although I have given them to him. He usually hands it to me so I can feed him.

At restaurants he gets a kids meal and about a month ago started just eating off the plate his meal comes on, which is really nice. 

But like I said, I know he's not the norm. 
  • Options
    amangels2 said:
    Sam was born on June 3 and he eats in his high chair.  From what I can tell, from comments I've gotten from most people who have seen him eat, he is not a normal eater for a 14 month old. He eats extraordinarily neat. He uses his finger and thumb eat and will eat pieces one at time, including peas and corn.  When we go to visit Grandma and Grandpa, my mom has to put food on the floor to reward their dog for staying on his bed while Sam eats because Sam rarely drops anything. I started using a suction cup plate pretty much as soon as I gave him real food. He still uses those, but he also has a Cars 3 plate that has no suction cups that is in our rotation. He does not use utensils, although I have given them to him. He usually hands it to me so I can feed him.

At restaurants he gets a kids meal and about a month ago started just eating off the plate his meal comes on, which is really nice. 

But like I said, I know he's not the norm. 
    I need to look into those plates with suctions, might help us.

Damien is pretty neat in that he doesn't drop much, it's only when he's no longer hungry that everything goes to the floor. I have to be diligent about watching his "I'm full" cues so I can clear everything off before it gets messy. He uses his index finger and thumb to pick up pieces as well but he's not opposed to grabbing a handful and shoveling it all in his mouth either (he does that mostly with things like Cheerios). So graceful!
  • Options
    Tristan uses a combination of everything mentioned above.  He has used a spoon successfully on occasion and I give him utensils every once in awhile depending on how distracted it will make him.  He definitely wants to feed himself.  He is very good when we are out to dinner aside from the constant staring at other people.  We usually just wipe down the table and put his food there for him to eat with his fingers.  I watch him to be sure that not too much ends up on the floor.  We do usually order him his own meal when we go out if they have a children's menu otherwise he will just have some of what we are having.  He does like to smash his food under his cup towards the end of his meal.  We just keep an eye on him overall to watch for clues that he is done.  Generally able to avert major food disasters that way.  Oh and at home we strip him to his diaper for meals... Saves on laundry!
  • Options
    Syd was a week early and she's a finger eater.... We give her a spoon or fork at every meal, and let her get used to them. Sometimes she's able to stab her fruit or veggies, but most of the time, its empty by the time it reaches her mouth. And that ok!! I'm in no rush, seeing as she understands the concept. Dinners are usually the only meal she is in her high chair for if we are at home. Breakfast is usually waffles or pancakes while playing with toys, lunch is whatever I'm eating (because God forbid, she eats her own food...). I used to bring her plate (its a Nuby brand that "sticks" to the table and she can't lift it up) but its more of a PITA than i think is necessary. Oh! We got this nifty strap that goes around her cup, then the other side buckles to the highchair/stroller/cart so she can't throw it!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Syd was a week early and she's a finger eater.... We give her a spoon or fork at every meal, and let her get used to them. Sometimes she's able to stab her fruit or veggies, but most of the time, its empty by the time it reaches her mouth. And that ok!! I'm in no rush, seeing as she understands the concept. Dinners are usually the only meal she is in her high chair for if we are at home. Breakfast is usually waffles or pancakes while playing with toys, lunch is whatever I'm eating (because God forbid, she eats her own food...). I used to bring her plate (its a Nuby brand that "sticks" to the table and she can't lift it up) but its more of a PITA than i think is necessary. Oh! We got this nifty strap that goes around her cup, then the other side buckles to the highchair/stroller/cart so she can't throw it!!
    The cup tethers/straps have been a godsend for us too. I use them in the car as well since he throws his cups when he is finished drinking.
  • Options
    I think I've seen in another post about the tethers.  I told myself to get one and just haven't yet!
  • Options
    When I picked cam up from my parents yesterday he was doing an awesome job feeding himself with a spoon. So cute!!! We haven't given him utensils at home for more than playing so I was pretty surprised.