September 2017 Moms

SVT, anyone?

Hello, fellow September moms.

At 33 weeks pregnant, I had an ER trip for a racing heart (220 BPM) and chest pain, and was diagnosed with SVT.  Blood work and echocardiogram came back clean.

Last night, I had another episode, which I controlled myself.  My cardiologist offered medication (metoprolol), but I don't know that I am comfortable with the risks.  I am going to consult my OB before making a final decision.

Any other moms happen to have the same condition?  I'm getting nervous about labor and can't find a lot of good data online.

Thanks for the input!

Re: SVT, anyone?

• I wish I could be of more help. I'm currently waiting to have an echo next week. I have been experiencing tachycardia for several weeks now, although no recorded pulse anywhere as high as yours. Still waiting on blood work as well. No answers for you at this point, but I am also nervous about what labor will be like. How is your bp? Mine is on the low side 80/50-90/66 at this point, which is 34 weeks for me.
  • Lilpoots, my BP averaged 112/73...I keep track regularly, as I had pre-eclampsia with my first.  I have a pulse-oximeter to track my heartrate.  I average between 90-100 bpm, resting.

Please keep me posted, and I'll do the same! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @thriftymama1985 did you have any evidence of svt in your first pregnancy? I had similar issues with first, but only when I was on my back. They assumed it was a vasovagal response due to the weight of baby on my uterus. I ended up having a cs that time at 36 weeks, so they managed everything with medicine through my iv. This time, things are definitely different. I have been using a bp cuff at home to monitor,  but no finger pulse oximeter. My resting hr is 90-110. I'm having a hard time getting the cardiologist to take me seriously. I think the only reason he ordered the echo was because I pressed him for more diagnostics.
  • I have a history of tachycardia that increases in pregnancy. I take proranalol (also a beta blocker) to control it. As explained to me by my MFM is that the beta blocker has the risk to have a smaller baby in utero but that baby should easily make up for that in the first year. I am on a decently high dose but baby is measuring 60th %. My DS was 8lb 8.8oz at 38 weeks (no GD) and I was on it with him too.  of course, my experience will not dictate your results but I don't really have a choice about taking it or not. And if you are taching at 220,  I can't imagine that you would have much of a choice either. 

You did the right thing to bring yourself in. Anything even close to that high should be brought in if you can't control it within 20 or so minutes.  Even at 170. 

I feel very strongly that you should pick yourself up a Pulse Ox monitor at a pharmacy and keep it with you at all times. Use it. I hope that you feel better!  Also, your OB might want you to get a cardiology consult. Typically and electrophysiologist is who you would see.
  • @lilpoots, No...nothing like this with my first.  However, I was also 40 pounds lighter last time.  So, I'm wondering if my weight had an effect on the SVT.  Met with my OB today, and he said with confidence that, this late in the pregnancy, the metoprolol wouldn't have negative effects on the baby.  I took my first dose (25 mg) an hour ago.  Fingers crossed for fewer palpitations, skipped beats, and high bpm!
  • @BostonBaby1...Thanks for your response.  I carry my pulse oximeter with my at all times, and check it regularly, especially if I feel a flair up coming.  I'm hopeful that the metoprolol will calm down my palpitations.  It would certainly increase the quality of my days.  I was lucky enough to get a cardiologist consult the day after my first episode, along with an echocardiogram.  The echo came back clean, along with my blood tests.  Best case scenario...it's pregnancy induced SVT and it will subside once I deliver and get "back to normal."  Worst case scenario, I'll need to continue exploring options to manage it after delivery.

Heart problems weren't even on my radar as a pregnancy complication!  Go figure.  :-(
  • And @lilpoots, I hope your echo comes back clean along with your bloodwork.  And that you get some answers!
  • @thriftymama1985 I hope the medication helps you to feel better. Will they administer more or another medication like adenosine if pulse increases during labor? My echo is tomorrow and the dr is supposed to order a Zio patch to see if they can catch any SVT.

I don't weigh anymore this time than I did last time, but I was jogging regularly during my first pregnancy. This time, I am totally out of shape.

TMI: The last time I had a bad run of tach was after having sex and it is what made me push to get checked out. It felt like I was sprinting and my heart didn't want to decelerate at all afterwards. I'm going to ask the dr if he would like me to continue to abstain or go ahead to see if we catch anything on the monitor.

My CBC is super normal. My TSH was with in normal range, but oddly higher fuctioning even after a drop in my dose. I may ask to have it tested one more time before labor.
  • Quick Update:  Day #2 on metoprolol.  Noticeable difference in palpitations and flutters, especially when adjusting myself in bed.  However, I'm trading the heart flutters for dizziness and mild nausea.  Regularly checking for low BP.  One more month.  Trying to stick it out!
  • Quick Update:  Day #2 on metoprolol.  Noticeable difference in palpitations and flutters, especially when adjusting myself in bed.  However, I'm trading the heart flutters for dizziness and mild nausea.  Regularly checking for low BP.  One more month.  Trying to stick it out!
    I really hope it improves for you!!! I definitely feel significant symptom increase in pregnancy. I am hoping it will completely go away for you PP but if not, I am happy to discuss with you over PM.