May 2017 Moms
Options

Swimming lessons?

My daughter is 3 months old and I was thinking for a fun activity to sign up for weekly swimming lessons. I know it will help her developmental skills and water safety.

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice that has helped them with an activity like this?

I'm also looking for other things we could do that she and I would enjoy while not being too expensive. She loved the aquarium.

Re: Swimming lessons?

• Options
    Before you commit to paying for swimming lessons I would take your baby to an open swim prior. You may find that at this age swimming lessons are a waste of money. Also many places want your baby to be 6 months. With ds1 I looked into swimming lessons and I found them to be kind of pricy. I took him to open swim a few times at aqua tots.

If your looking for an activity check out your local libraries for free programs. Mine has a ton of programming for children and babies. They have baby sensory programs that involve music and sensory play that babies enjoy. 
  • Options
    lrwardrop said:
    Before you commit to paying for swimming lessons I would take your baby to an open swim prior. You may find that at this age swimming lessons are a waste of money. Also many places want your baby to be 6 months. With ds1 I looked into swimming lessons and I found them to be kind of pricy. I took him to open swim a few times at aqua tots.

If your looking for an activity check out your local libraries for free programs. Mine has a ton of programming for children and babies. They have baby sensory programs that involve music and sensory play that babies enjoy. 
    This.
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree about holding off on a swim class for a few more months. I'm pretty sure my YMCA doesn't start the parent and child class until age 6 months. 

Check into Music Together or Kindermusik classes in your area. They both often times have infant classes that start as young as newborn. I did MT with DD1 when she was just 3 and a half months old and we continues until she was 4 because she loved it.

BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • Options
    Chiming in late but put baby in a pool prior to paying for anything or signing up. Mine HATES the pool. Likes the bath well enough but I've tried pool 3 times now without success. Plus they don't make many swim diapers to fit a 3 month old. 
  • Options
    Our local SwimKids takes babies at 4 months. They did invite us to try a free swim. Price is 50.00 per month. Thanks to your advice I checked into our local library that does activities for infants three times a week so we will be doing that. I appreciate all of your input, I would have never thought of the library.