Babies on the Brain

Weekly Chat - August 21

Oops! I forgot to post this yesterday...
Good Morning Ladies! I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

What are you looking forward to this week?

What are you dreading? 

Have any goals/things you want to get accomplished this week? 

Random thoughts?

GTKY: Do you have eclipse plans - Are you watching it outside, on TV or not at all? 

Re: Weekly Chat - August 21

• Loading the player...
  • @JennyColada Good luck with your first day!!!  Being the new kid and having no idea what you're doing is always so awkward! 
  • @Krob - Nope not a terrible person. I feel the same way evertime my mom calls and invites us to dinner. She always wants us to come over a little early and then we always get hooked into staying FOREVER. I don't mind that occasionally but I don't like that it turns into a half day event every time. I am so ready for fall! I need a break from the heat. Also, yay for officially stating to TTC 

@JennyColada - I hope you had a great first day! Please come back and fill us in on how it went :)

@emiliadkay - I hope you enjoy your visit from SIL. It is always nice when visitors are low key.

@dreamscapes_ where are you? I hope you had a great day :)

What are you looking forward to this week? Friday? This week is going to be crazy busy. 

What are you dreading? Just keeping up with everything.  I just have so much going on this week.

Have any goals/things you want to get accomplished this week? Catch up on some housework and survive the week.

Random thoughts? OMG you guys - my AC was out all day in my classroom. It sucked - praying it is fixed for tomorrow. The guy didn't seem like he was in a real hurry though :(

GTKY: Do you have eclipse plans - Are you watching it outside, on TV or not at all? Well I had students during the eclipse and we were told we were not allowed to take them outside so that means I had to stay inside. I did get to take a quick look with my glasses when another teacher stopped by my room so that was cool. It was super cloudy here but I was still able to see it.
  • @kfrob Totally there on dreading family stuff, particularly with ILs.  I like them, but everything takes all day because no can make a decision and then no one can get moving, and we never eat on time, which makes for a very grumpy me.  And I am sooooo ready for Fall.

@JennyColada Wooo new job!!! How was your first day?

@emiliadkay That's so great that you like your SIL so much.  Do you get to see her often?

@glitzandglitter How do you have school with no AC???  I hope they fix it soon!  

What are you looking forward to this week?

Um... Nothing in particular.  So, Friday?

What are you dreading? 
    Just the influx of students to campus now that the semester's started today.  And I just learned today that they need me to teach a class this semester, so I'm pretty anxious about jumping into that last minute.

Have any goals/things you want to get accomplished this week? 
    Get ready for this class!  It's Thursday nights, so I have a couple of days to prep.  I've taught it before, so I'm hoping it won't be too hard.  I know they made a few changes, so I'm worried it'll be a lot more work than I signed up for.

Random thoughts?
    I have to teach because a professor up and resigned this morning.  On the first day of the semester.  I've been assured it's nothing medical or family related, but I don't know anything beyond that. I hate to think I'm gossipy, but I'm dying to know what happened.  There's a lot of tension and discord in our college these days, but this seems pretty extreme, especially since he always seemed really nice.

GTKY: Do you have eclipse plans - Are you watching it outside, on TV or not at all? 
    I saw it! I just ran outside a couple of times this morning.  I couldn't get ahold of eclipse glasses, but my coworkers shared theirs.  Plus, it was kind of cloudy, which actually worked out so we could get pictures!  

• @Secretstapler I obviously don't have any connection to this professor whatsoever, and even I'm dying to know what happened (emboldened by knowing all's well in terms of folks' health). Let us know - I hope he's won the lottery or something fun like that :) We don't see my SIL as much as I wish we did. She lives in Dallas, so only ~3.5 hours away, but is in her last year of med school and incredibly busy. FX so hard that she lands in Houston for her residency!

@glitzandglitter  No A/C is awful!! At least you know your class will be about 2000% more angelic once they're no longer frying. I couldn't tell from your post if it was the A/C in the entire school or you just got the unlucky classroom - if the latter, I hope they find you a spot to squat until it's resolved.

Seconding all the requests for @JennyColada to report back on day 1!
  • @emiliadkayI feel like when you check out a library book it feels like you have all the time in the world to read it and get it back in time, then life happens

@Secretstapler Those are great pictures!  I was trying to explain the shadow thing to MH and we even looked at the shadow of some leaves on the side walk and he claimed he didn't see any difference from a normal shadow!  Some times he's a real Debby downer on my sciencey stuff I get excited about.  Also, I'm with @emiliadkay I'd be dying to know why someone randomly quit at work :-)   
  • @JennyColada I am so excited for your job! Have they given you any information on when you will have to start traveling? 
    Me: 31 DH: 34 :heart: Married: April 2016
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    MFI Diagnosis: Aug 2017
    BFP 11/1/17 // DS born 6/18
    TTC January 2019
    BFP 3/21/19 // D&C (MMC) 5/8/19
  • @MrsMiller8588 no specific dates yet (but they don't usually know until 2 weeks out). I have about 2 weeks of training in the office/store, and then it seems like it could be any time after that. They'll have me shadow a trainer once, co-lead a trip with a trainer, then the third trip a trainer will shadow me. In October they're doing their big local training too (which sounds so quick! Like I just started and I'm supposed to help on a seminar training 30 new franchisees?!).
  • @JennyColada I'm glad you had a good first day!

@glitzandglitter no AC? I say cancel school!

@KFrob yay for TTC!

What are you looking forward to this week? School started! So far so good. 

What are you dreading? My lunch is later this year. I may eat in my off period instead :tongue:

Have any goals/things you want to get accomplished this week? Get access to my school's database! I need to be able to start getting grades. I'm just bugging my principal constantly.

Random thoughts? We have a new principal this year, and I like him a lot!

GTKY: Do you have eclipse plans - Are you watching it outside, on TV or not at all? I didn't watch it. I had students.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Hey everyone! I'm a little late to the party this week. Hope you're all doing well :)

@KFrob I am ready for fall too! The heat is getting old. Also YAAAY officially TTC!
    @JennyColada So glad the new job is going well so far!
    @emiliadkay Enjoy your time with your SIL :)
    @glitzandglitter I hope they fixed your a/c today. That is miserable!
    @Secretstapler Hope your last-minute class goes well. I am also curious to know what happened with the professor, haha.
    @lalala2004 Hope your first week back is going well. I may have missed this somewhere but what ended up happening with your class assignment?

What are you looking forward to this week? Not much interesting going on this week soooooo I guess the weekend!

What are you dreading? Not really anything! Wow I'm boring this week haha

Have any goals/things you want to get accomplished this week? MH's family is putting together a recipe collection for my soon-to-be SIL and I need to figure out which ones I'm going to add to it. And then find some nice recipe cards and write them out. 

Random thoughts? Anyone have ideas about where I can find some nice looking recipe cards?? Should I just go to Target? :)

GTKY: Do you have eclipse plans - Are you watching it outside, on TV or not at all? I did end up getting a chance to go see it at work. It was pretty cool! Where I'm at it was about 95%, so at its peak it was just a little tiny sliver, and the shadows were cool looking.

• @diaphena it literally kept changing until the last minute. I'm teaching 1 9th grade World Geography class MWF, an 8th grade Character Education class one block a week (mon) and then I'll probably be subbing for dual credit classes on Fridays (the professors only show up two days a week instead of 3). I'm really happy with it, because I'm teaching a lot of students I had in the past (I taught 6th grade for 3 years), and I get to teach in both the middle and high school building.
    *Siggy Warning*

• @lalala2004 awesome, glad you're happy with it!
  • AC update - it is only my room that was broken. They sort of fixed it. It is blowing coolish air so it isn't completely unbearable. I set up my box fan so it pulls AC from the class next door and pushes it into mine which has helped. I'm annoyed because I told them during preplanning it wasn't working correctly so it should have been looked at then. Oh well hopefully tomorrow it will be fixed :/
  • @KFrob You are not a bad person. Kids birthdays can be such a stress. I am a stickler for nap though so I would try my darndest to get outta there before it was time! Yay new booties!

@emiliadkay I'm glad you're looking forward to a visit from SIL! hope it's fun!

@glitzandglitter is it safe for your students to be in the room with only partially working AC? Here in NC it's too hot for that nonsense. Sorry they didn't listen to you during preplan!

@Secretstapler I'm also invested in the campus gossip. Could it have been something scandalous?

@JennyColada Nice that the new gig is off to a good start! hopefully the enthusiasm doesn't get annoying!

@lalala2004 I used to teach World Geography to freshmen too! Glad you like your new principal.

@diaphena hmmm maybe Amazon or Etsy? If there is a local home and kitchen store maybe they would have recipe cards?

What are you looking forward to this week? DH's cousin (he's more like a brother since DH's siblings are all way older) is coming to visit! You remember that Friends episode where Ross and Chandler's friend Gandalf is coming to town and they're going to PARTAY? It's like that with us and Greg. DH is like "I'll go to the liquor store" and I'm like "I'll call the sitter!" So hopefully it will be just the thing to cheer us up.

What are you dreading? There's a bunch of administrative stuff if you will that needs taking care of around the house. Yearly maintenance, calling repair people, paying bills, blah blah blah. The desk is piled up with papers and instead of doing it I'm chatting with you lovely ladies

Have any goals/things you want to get accomplished this week? Just getting on top of all this mess!

Random thoughts? This summer went by so fast. It was actually a lot of fun and I'm not ready for fall!!!!

GTKY: Do you have eclipse plans - Are you watching it outside, on TV or not at all?  I did see a lot of it outside. My BIL is really into it and he got me glasses. It was during nap so it was pretty easy for me to get to see it. This may be an UO but I thought it would be a little cooler than it was.

• @lifesabeach85 - yes because my room is connected to other rooms so I have left doors open to steal their AC. Today was cooler so hopefully they have been working on it. I also talked to my principal about it today and she said she would call them to see what's going on. 
  • @glitzandglitter I'm around, and have actually been lurking, lol. It's just been a crazy few days and I haven't had much time to post. Thank you for thinking of me, though!

Me: 36 | DH: 35 | Married: 9.17.16
    Diminished ovarian reserve
    BFP: 4/14/2020 EDD: 12/20/2020
  • @lifesabeach85 LOVE the Gandalf reference. Have so much fun!

@lalala2004 glad the schedule got settled - and with a good result. World Geography was one of my favorites way-back-when. And a little more knowledge about what's out there beyond our borders is seemingly really, really important for this country at this particular moment...

@diaphena just go to Target :) We did the recipe thing for a bride-to-be last year and I went wayyyyy too far down the Etsy rabbit hole and ended up at ol' reliable in the end after all!

@JennyColada glad the new job's off to such a good start!
  • @KFrob Yay for officially TTC! There's nothing wrong with dreading a kid's party, especially when it throws off your whole day like that.

@JennyColada Yay for the new job! I hope your first couple of days have gone well!

@emiliadkay Yay for low key house guests! Any news on the storm? Is it going to reform and hit you?

@glitzandglitter Has your AC been fixed yet? I know you said it was sort of fixed, but that's not enough, not when it's this hot.

@Secretstapler Good luck with the class! I hope it goes well for you! Any news on the gossip?

@lalala2004 Yay for a new principal!

@diaphena I have a couple of tasty recipes if you'd like them! :) Or just go to Target ;) Everyone likes Target (I hate their clothing selection, but the rest of the store is fine).

@lifesabeach85 I hope your DH's cousin's visit is fun! Yay for the household admin stuff. Isn't that always a blast?

What are you looking forward to this week? Not much that I can think of, to be honest. I already had my days off for the week (Monday/Tuesday).

What are you dreading? Going to work tomorrow morning. Today was awful. I woke up at a 7/10 on my pain scale, and by the time I got to work, I was at about an 8.5-9/10. I literally was almost at the point of throwing up and crying all at the same time because the pain was so bad this morning. Unfortunately, we can't afford for me to call in, and my medications make me so tired and foggy that I can't take them when I'm going to work. I took 3 Aleve and it helped to dull the pain, but it was still at about a 6. By the time I got home, it was probably a 7 again. So tomorrow will probably be another rough day.

Have any goals/things you want to get accomplished this week? I'd like to get our laundry put away. Most of it's done, it's just still living in the basket.

Random thoughts? We have brand new tiger cubs at work! They're only a few days old, and they're so cute. I haven't seen them in person yet, but they've been playing a video clip from the mother's nesting area on the break room TVs. We also have a bunch of baby Galapagos tortoises. They're about the size of dinner plates! Oh, and we did end up booking a stay at Disney for my parents and uncle. We'll be staying with them while they're here, and will be at one of the cheaper resorts. It should be fun!

GTKY: Do you have eclipse plans - Are you watching it outside, on TV or not at all? I was inside all day. I didn't have glasses or anything, so I didn't want to deal with it.
  • @dreamscapes_ I'm so sorry you're in so much pain! Have you been able to try any different medications to see if they have less side effects for you? At least you have cute baby animals to look at, though :blush:
    *Siggy Warning*

• @lalala2004 Unfortunately, anything strong enough to make a dent in the pain gives side effects I can't tolerate at work. I wish I could have my heating pad with me at work >.<

https://www.chipandco.com/sumatran-tiger-sohni-animal-kingdom-given-birth-two-cubs-279513/

This has the video of the tiger cubs! They're all floppy, it's so cute :)

• @dreamscapes_ have you ever tried the disposable heating pads that you can stick to the inside of your clothes? I used to use them for cramps, and I would just have it on all day.
    *Siggy Warning*

• @lalala2004 I was going to recommend the same thing (disposable heating pads) for @dreamscapes_. @dreamscapes_ I am sorry that you are in so much pain :( The baby animals sound so cute!!
  • @lalala2004 and @glitzandglitter I've tried a couple different kinds, but none of them are powerful enough (unless you guys are referring to something different than the ones I'm thinking of).

But yes, the baby animals are super cute :)