September 2017 Moms
Options

I am so unprepared....and freaking out :)

I know I haven't been much of a contributor, but I've been reading a lot and you have all been extremely helpful, and I love that I've gotten to know each of you from the side lines. Anyone care to help me calm my silly butt down, haha :)

This is our second child. With my 4 yr old, everything was planned due to a heart issue I developed during pregnancy. I didn't have a choice, and had to have an epidural. I was induced, and a day later she arrived. I tried to BF, but I feel like I gave up a little too soon, and maybe my heart medication didn't allow for my milk to come in enough...

So here we are, 4 weeks from delivery. No plans! I would love to try a natural birth and can't wait to try to BF....however...I haven't done any natural birth research/classes/ etc. In two weeks my daughter goes off to pre-school and I'm thinking, as long as LO stays put, I'll do my crash course of natural birth. 

Any advice? Any suggestions? Anyone else going natural? I'd love to hear everyone's plans.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: I am so unprepared....and freaking out :)

• Options
    and I know i'm being silly about this...but i'm petrified about my water breaking, haha!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I just found the unmedicated post and it really helped calm my nerves...thank you :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd also recommend reading through this thread: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12714106/breastfeeding-support  
    BF is so hard and every single lady on there can commiserate. You got this momma.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • Options
    If you're interested in an unmedicated birth, I recommend doing some research now, rather than later.  From what I remember (I was planning on an epidural with DS1, until I progressed too quickly at the hospital for one!), a lot of the methods involve visualization and meditation type techniques for the early stages of labor.  As well as stuff like using a heat pad, counter pressure, a shower/ tub, breathing techniques, etc.  Have you thought about looking into a Lamaze or Bradley method class?  Something along those lines would probably benefit you the most.  Also, even though you're a STM, having your partner be aware of what you want to happen is also important.  That way, they can make the decisions when you may not necessarily have the breath or presence of mind to do so.  
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    There is an app called GentleBirth that I'm using and it might be your best bet this late in the game. 
  • Options
    I have had two natural births, and I would recommend reading some books about unmedicated birth. I read the Bradley Method book before both of my previous labors. Also, there is a lot of good birth stories you can read online that are helpful. I have also heard that Ina May Gaskins books are good. I plan to read one of those in the next few weeks if I have time. I would also definitely recommend a breastfeeding class or at least do some research. The Complete Guide to Breastfeeding and kellymom.com are good resources.
    Good luck!!

imageimage

TTC #1 January 2009
    January 2010 SA results: Count 16 million, Motility 40%, Morphology 2%
    January 2010- Surprise BFP! DS born 10/1/2010 :)
    January 2013 TTC #2
    September 2013 Repeat SA: Count= 1.7 million, Motility= 24%, Morphology= 2%
    November 6th 1st Appointment with RE: diagnosed with severe MFI
    Testing to try to determine a cause & possible treatment for MFI
    CD 3 blood work for me. RE does not want to repeat my HSG/lap at this point,
    but may want to before moving forward with any fertility treatments.
    After seeing the uro, DH is currently taking lots of supplements and clomid to try to boost his count. We will have a repeat SA in February to see if it works.
    Follow up SA numbers are: Count= 4 million, Motility= 40%, Morphology= 1%
    Uro wants us to have another follow up SA 5/9 to see if we see further improvement than we are back to the RE to make a game plan.

SA 5/9/2014 Count: 12 Million, Motility: 60%, and Morphology 2%. We will be doing iui #1 in late June

IUI #1 6/28 clomid + ovidrel, post wash count 3 million total sperm= BFN

IUI # 2 7/21 clomid+ ovidrel. post wash count 900,000 total sperm= BFN

IVF planned for early November- cancelled due to cyst

December IVF #1- 22 eggs, 20 mature,16 fertilized

12/9 Transferred 1 4AA Blast, 6 frosties

*****Everyone is welcome******

• Options
    TLooney17 said:
    I have had two natural births, and I would recommend reading some books about unmedicated birth. I read the Bradley Method book before both of my previous labors. Also, there is a lot of good birth stories you can read online that are helpful. I have also heard that Ina May Gaskins books are good. I plan to read one of those in the next few weeks if I have time. I would also definitely recommend a breastfeeding class or at least do some research. The Complete Guide to Breastfeeding and kellymom.com are good resources.
    Good luck!!
    Have you ever been induced? I'm hoping to go med free this time myself! I read Bradley method and ina mays books last time but was induced and then everything went out the window! I was just wondering If you had experienced induced vs non induced med free labor and if so was there a major difference in how induced felt compared to not being induced? 
  • Options
    I had a natural birth with my son. I spent several weeks practising my breathing, but as soon as I went into labor I forgot what to do and just did what ever it took to get through. I even forgot to put on my music, lol totally oblivious to what was going on! 

My advice to you is to find a breathing technique you like and practise everyday. Controlled breathing isn't as easy as it sounds. Also write the instructions down for the big day lol. Also have a thorough birth plan and copies to give out, because you won't be able to make rational decisions. For example in mine I said if I ask for pain relief, distract me for 30mins then ask me again if I really need it.

Labor was the most painful thing I had ever experienced, but after the first 30mins your body takes over and you just go with it. You lose track of time and your surroundings. The actual pushing isn't like it is in the movies with women screaming in pain. For me it was the least painful part, and technically you don't even push. Your body just does it automatically and it kinda makes you grunt/scream and you can't control it and then it's done. I started crying when I had to push out placenta, that's not automatic and I was so exhausted, but it was out in 3 pushes.  Well, that's my story... I guess it could be different for others?
  • Options
    Thank you so much everyone! This has been extremely helpful.
    Pregnancy Ticker