Baby Names

Nickname question..

elmich3elmich3 member
edited August 2017 in Baby Names
We picked the name Kellan James for our son when we first got pregnant and still love it! My husband's only concern is that someone will nickname him 'Kelly'..he is not a fan of that. I know people are going to call him what they call him but do you think this is an obvious nickname or no?

Nickname question.. 72 votes

People will probably call him Kelly
13% 10 votes
Not likely, Kellan doesn't need to be shortened
86% 62 votes

Re: Nickname question..

• Kellan probably won't be shortened. That said I personally find Kelly on a bit so refreshing. Plus associate it with Jim Kelly so it's a win win.

• I would think it wouldn't be shortened, but I knew a guy in high school that went by Tom, though his name was Kellen, because he got mad at other kids calling him Kelly because it was a girl's name.

Chicago Fire makes me think of Kelly severide though...and he's yummy
  • Loading the player...
  • Kelly is no shorter than Kellan so it's not a natural nickname to me
  • There will probably be someone who tries to nn him Kelly, just make it known that you do not approve. As far as kids in school, I have no idea. 
  • I wouldn't have thought of the nn Kelly. My first thought would have been Kell. 
  • I have never heard of Kellan being shortened to Kelly. Kelly is a GP boys name for me , I love it!
  • I had a Kellan in my class a couple years ago and no one called him Kelly. 
  • I would think he'd end up being called Kel more than anything.  At least, that's how I'd instinctively shorten it.  I could see little kids teasing him with Kelly, but I've know men named Kelly before, so while it's uncommon, I don't think it's outrageous.
  • I instinctively wanted to shorten it to Kel - not Kelly.  I like the name Kellan and definitely don't think you should let "Kelly" deter you from using it.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • ^This.  I would imagine he will get Kel
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• One of my best friends is named Kellan, known him since I was 8. I have never heard anyone call him Kelly. Kel, yes, but only occasionally. Honestly, if we are going to call him something else, we go with Dawn, but that's a whole different story...
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Thank you everyone so much! I was able to put my hubby at ease :) Kellan it is!