February 2018 Moms

Sh*t my SO/ILs/Anyone Says

Re: Sh*t my SO/ILs/Anyone Says

• @rainafire77 some people honestly just do not think. That reminds me when my sister was pregnant. She was at Christmas party and someone asked if she was about to have the baby. She wasn't due until May. :neutral: That was one of those where he had no idea, but really...Never guess or make stupid comments if you do. I'm already much bigger this go round so I'm just waiting for the comments to start. 
  • A coworkers text:

"Lol awww it's so exciting. Why are you still so good looking?? Come on and get fat! Think you'll come back afterwards?"

• Loading the player...
  • There's a customer that comes in every couple of months with his elderly mother in law who has made more than a couple inappropriate comments to me in the past. He was in yesterday and very loudly to his MIL while I was standing not even 5 ft away "I want to ask her how far along she is but she's not wearing a ring. Kids these days!" (I'm 29). When i finished doing his transaction and am handing them the requested paperwork he asks me if I'm Orthodox and if it's an engagement ring on my right hand.... really? Are ANY of those comments appropriate to make to a stranger? 
  • There's a customer that comes in every couple of months with his elderly mother in law who has made more than a couple inappropriate comments to me in the past. He was in yesterday and very loudly to his MIL while I was standing not even 5 ft away "I want to ask her how far along she is but she's not wearing a ring. Kids these days!" (I'm 29). When i finished doing his transaction and am handing them the requested paperwork he asks me if I'm Orthodox and if it's an engagement ring on my right hand.... really? Are ANY of those comments appropriate to make to a stranger? 

• People who say breastfeeding in public is equivalent to "boys whipping out their dicks" can go suck an egg. 
    Who says this??? Wth?
  • People who say breastfeeding in public is equivalent to "boys whipping out their dicks" can go suck an egg. 
    Who says this??? Wth?
    Ignorant, ignorant people. Like, pick up a basic biology textbook and see that breasts are not primary sex organs. I should add that this "argument" was followed up with "I don't want my husband to see some other woman's tit." I tried so hard not to get involved. (Ps. Girl is not married)
  • edited August 2017
    @TattoosandLace I wish all women were made to breast feed for a certain amount of time just so they can understand. It's hard to sexualize breastfeeding when your nips are bleeding and sore because you and your infant are having a really difficult time figuring it out. And if I need to feed my kid who has a lowered immune system from just being a baby I am not going to feed him where people take poops. Like what the hell. Thank god it's more the norm for women to breast feed where I live then bottle so it's quiet normalized around here and respected. 

Eta: spelling 
    Who says this??? Wth?
    Ignorant, ignorant people. Like, pick up a basic biology textbook and see that breasts are not primary sex organs. I should add that this "argument" was followed up with "I don't want my husband to see some other woman's tit." I tried so hard not to get involved. (Ps. Girl is not married)
    She also clearly doesn't have children of her own. Because if she did she would understand when they are hungry and you are out in public, feeding them is a first priority. And by a certain age, no baby is going to eat with a cover over their head. 
  • Ugh, I will never understand people who pitch a fit about women breastfeeding in public. It's not sexual, it's completely necessary, and I'd like to see them not complain if I don't feed that baby right then and there and let them listen to angry infant crying for more than two minutes. Ugh. People. So much ignorance. My baby is more important than people's eyeballs that they apparently can't just turn to the side. 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • My dad: "You don't look pregnant and you don't look fat. You just look like you filled out...like a sorority girl who drinks too much beer." 

I can't make this shit up... 
    lol your dad sounds like mine 
  • I asked hubby if I looked pregnant or fat and he said both! My mum was not impressed as she was right behind him when he said it! I don't know if it's being pregnant and hormonal but I swear he will do at least one thing a day to anger me!
  • @knottiemorris yeah, not sure why you asked him that if there was a "wrong" answer. I about questions like that because what is the point other than fishing for compliments which could just be fake ones as my DH would pretend I looked pregnant to avoid saying I looked fat, so what is the point?

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• My aunt told me the birth isn't about me and it would be stealing "my family's joy" (definitely not her own I'M SURE) if I didn't invite them to the hospital when the baby is born. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • masopust said:
    My aunt told me the birth isn't about me and it would be stealing "my family's joy" (definitely not her own I'M SURE) if I didn't invite them to the hospital when the baby is born. 
    Your auntie can GFTO with that line of thinking. Is she Southern?
    I'm southern.  Still not ok!  I agree tell her to GTFO
  • masopust said:
    My aunt told me the birth isn't about me and it would be stealing "my family's joy" (definitely not her own I'M SURE) if I didn't invite them to the hospital when the baby is born. 
    Agreeing with everyone else. Since you're the one pushing a human out your hooha, it IS about you. And the family can have their joy back when you feel like dealing with people again. 

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• @TattoosandLace @sabriel1 I just felt upset and wanted reassurance! He asks me all the time if he's put on weight ect and I just say no then suggest we walk or eat healthy! It's a little white lie! I was tired and hormonal in a new maternity dress and needed my hubby to be there, defo won't ask him again though and next time he asks me I will tell him how much he has put on since I got pregnant! With hypermesis I've lost weight and he's gained a lot as makes us both meals then eats most of mine as I can't stomach food!
  • @ash0625 I know a few mums to be have upset people on these boards and left after discussions and I don't want to start any type of discussion on this at all! Everyone was commenting sh#t their partner says and I joined in thinking everyone would had been through something similar! I love interacting on here, I just felt the need to explain myself more rather than ignoring the replies! After being told she thought I was fishing for compliments I felt the need to explain my situation a bit more? It may have been better to say 'lol my fault for asking', but i didn't think that far ahead! I just replied as soon as I read!
  • Had my first ultrasound today and I had to register at the hospital before my appointment. The woman at the registration desk asks me how far along I am. I tell her 13 weeks. She responds "are you sure? You're really big for 13 weeks!!" 

She should be a little more sensitive for someone who works on a Maternity floor. 
  • I just read quite possibly the worst thing I think I have ever heard.  

TW*****  A friend of mine recently lost her baby at about 20 weeks.  She went for a follow up to her OBGYN today and posted on Facebook that this happened.

When you go to the Doctor for a checkup and you hand the nurse your baby's autopsy report to make a copy and then she smiles and asks "How's your baby doing? You just had a baby right?"  

The doctor apologized profusely but come on nurse!!!!  
  • @chucksmom15 That is horrible!

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• masopust said:
    Oh I'm 100% with you. I live in the south and I'm finding people think having a Baby join their family is all about them. It's THEIR grandchild/niece/nephew/etc so THEY should get to be there. Eyerolls on eyerolls on eyerolls. 
  • @knottiemorris I don't know what you mean by not wanting to start a discussion on it, given that you posted it here. I wasn't commenting on your question to your spouse (although, to be fair, I think it was silly to even ask it). I was just stating that I thought your reaction was a bad idea in that it sounded petty. Also I like that Jlaw GIF so I was glad to have had a reason to use it. 

@chucksmom15 That. Is. Awful. My heart breaks for your friend. 
  • masopust said:
    Oh I'm 100% with you. I live in the south and I'm finding people think having a Baby join their family is all about them. It's THEIR grandchild/niece/nephew/etc so THEY should get to be there. Eyerolls on eyerolls on eyerolls. 
    My mom did this with my niece.  For the first week everytime she would post a picture on FB or comment on my SIL's post she would say in all caps MY GRANDDAUGHTER IS BEAUTIFUL.  I had to call her and tell her to quit figuratively peeing on the baby.  She isn't territory to be marked.
  • julievdm12julievdm12 member
    edited August 2017
    I just read quite possibly the worst thing I think I have ever heard.  

TW*****  A friend of mine recently lost her baby at about 20 weeks.  She went for a follow up to her OBGYN today and posted on Facebook that this happened.

When you go to the Doctor for a checkup and you hand the nurse your baby's autopsy report to make a copy and then she smiles and asks "How's your baby doing? You just had a baby right?"  

That is so horrendous....
    Im so sad for her.....
  • I just read quite possibly the worst thing I think I have ever heard.  

I just...I don't even have words.
  • My heart breaks for your friend @chucksmom15. That is devastating. 
  • I am so upset for her.  It's just awful.  I almost hope that woman gets fired.  You have to be more sensitive when you work in that environment.  
  • I am so upset for her.  It's just awful.  I almost hope that woman gets fired.  You have to be more sensitive when you work in that environment.  
    Um, yes. I'm in the "hoping she gets fired" camp.
  • Grrrrrrr.... so back in July, I think I mentioned that I was cornered by DH's boss's wife and SIL while we were at their house and they asked about my "condition." We made it clear to them that we weren't telling anyone yet. Fast forward to today, when we are slowly telling close friends and extended family as we see them. DH went to tell his closest friend at work, but he already knew because Mrs. Boss told him 2 weeks ago. I'm LIVID.
  • Grrrrrrr.... so back in July, I think I mentioned that I was cornered by DH's boss's wife and SIL while we were at their house and they asked about my "condition." We made it clear to them that we weren't telling anyone yet. Fast forward to today, when we are slowly telling close friends and extended family as we see them. DH went to tell his closest friend at work, but he already knew because Mrs. Boss told him 2 weeks ago. I'm LIVID.
    I do remember your experience with them. That really sucks that they pressure you into sharing personal information that they have no right to know, then don't respect you further by telling your news without your consent. Especially after you were clear on your intent to wait to share the news. I'm sorry that happened to you and your husband. People really know how to turn a personal, joyous moment into a frustrating, disappointing one. 
    I remember you saying That too. 
    Oh my gosh that is so infuriating!!!! I'm sorry you're dealing with this....
  • @chucksmom15 This has a massive TW for loss so proceed with caution (and spoilered)

I read a blog post I found through old bump posts by a woman who lost her baby at 17 weeks. She was in the hospital recovering because they had to surgically remove him. At one point a hospital worker comes in with a baby in a bassinet and yells out "Are you ready to see your baby?!?!" all cheerily, and understandably the mother lost her shit on this woman: "That's not my baby! My baby is dead!" She said the woman ran out and came back later crying and apologizing but the mother wasn't having it. I don't think I could take that either. Hospitals now have protocols in place to prevent that, I think.

Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18