Infertility

Severe Endo and IVF-New Here!

steph8986steph8986 member
edited August 2017 in Infertility
Hi Friends, 
I've long been a reader on here, but just recently joined so I could comment/post.
After 9 years of unexplained infertility, I finally had surgery last month and found out I have severe Endometriosis. They zapped everything they could, but there is still a large growth on my colon that is too risky to mess with. My RE is conservative about my chances of conceiving naturally post op, and thinks it's better to go the IVF route and hopefully get me pregnant quicker before some of the Endo comes back. Currently we are planning our IVF cycle for November with likely Lupron for a month or 2 and then FET in January after hormones have calmed back down. Anyone out there with similar experiences? Anyone going through IVF with Endometriosis currently? Success stories or unsuccessful stories of Severe Endo and IVF? In a perfect world I would get pregnant naturally before November comes around, but I'm aware my chances are slim. 
-Steph

Me:28-Severe Endometriosis  DH:30 -Excellent

Spring 2008-Started TTC
Fall 2011"Unexplained Infertiltiy"-3 IUI's with Clomid-All BFN
Spring 2013-Divorce
Feb 2017-RE Consult "unexplained Infertiltiy"
Mar, Apr, May 2017-Letrozole/Ovidrel/IUI-BFN's
July 2017-Laproscopy/Hysteroscopy-"Severe Endometriosis with Bowel Lesion not removed"
November 2017-IVF-14-Retrieved, 7 Mature, 6 Fertilized(ICSI) 0 embryos. Fertilized did not divide.
New d(x)-Egg problem

Re: Severe Endo and IVF-New Here!

• Welcome @steph8986.  I was in a similar situation. After two failed IUIs my RE performed a laparoscopy and found stage IV endo. He was able to remove some, but not all, the endo during that surgery because some was located on my colon and it was not safe to remove it with doing a bowel prep.  He then had me complete four months of Lupron Depot before completing a laparotomy to clean up the rest of the endo. The surgeries and lupron treatment were successful and he was able to get everything cleaned up. He recommended we go straight to IVF as there was a good chance the endo would recur in 6 months. My clinic had a long wait list for IVF so they kept me on active birth control pills for a few months leading up to our retrieval to keep the endo from coming back. All in all it was a year long process, but worth it because it worked. It's still early but I'm currently 7 weeks pregnant off our first FET. 

Good luck to you!
  • @steph8986 Hi, I also had a lap last year due to severe pain and large ovarian cysts and found severe endo. After the surgery I tried TTC naturally and with IUIs for 9 months without success, fully aware that the clock was ticking on endo coming back, so I had to do IVF and was successful via FET and PGS on a natural cycle (no estrogen/progesterone during the FET cycle). However, because I had endo, I took Femara for a few days at the beginning of FET (literature says it helps women with endo) and had a trigger shot after ovulation to help with the natural progesterone. Good luck, you will be fine, you are so young!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies! I have my IVF consult next week! Kind of wish we would have picked the September cycle, but November will come fast.
    -Steph

Me:28-Severe Endometriosis  DH:30 -Excellent

Spring 2008-Started TTC
    Fall 2011"Unexplained Infertiltiy"-3 IUI's with Clomid-All BFN
    Spring 2013-Divorce
    Feb 2017-RE Consult "unexplained Infertiltiy"
    Mar, Apr, May 2017-Letrozole/Ovidrel/IUI-BFN's
    July 2017-Laproscopy/Hysteroscopy-"Severe Endometriosis with Bowel Lesion not removed"
    November 2017-IVF-14-Retrieved, 7 Mature, 6 Fertilized(ICSI) 0 embryos. Fertilized did not divide.
    New d(x)-Egg problem