October 2017 Moms
Options

Job Interview Today

Hi All!  So I know I haven't posted at all, I just lurk around usually.  STM here, my first son is almost 3 and the second due at the beginning of October.  I was hoping to get a little bit of advice about a job interview I have today.

I will start off by saying I have a great job now, they are giving me 12 weeks off (unpaid, although I have Aflac or one of those so I will get partial pay from them).  I have been talking to my husband about scaling back to part time after this baby comes but financially it just doesn't make sense at this time and I have to say I am comfortable at my job and happy.  Fast forward to late last week, a friend of mine called to say she was leaving her job which is in the same field as I am and wanted to see if I would like to throw my hat in the ring.  The idea makes me nervous being less than 2 months from giving birth BUT the job pays more than my current job and is almost half of the hours so basically part time.

So here is my real question...they do know I am pregnant and called me in for an interview anyways.  I am unsure of how to handle if they ask me my plans for maternity leave, start date etc.  My husband seems to think I should tell them I am willing to work from home almost immediately after giving birth.  I know that for me it is unrealistic as you never know how things are going to go.  I was looking forward to having a full 12 weeks off with this baby but I know that I also need to look at the long term.

Any words of wisdom or others who have interviewed pregnant?  TIA and I apologize for just posting out of the blue.

Re: Job Interview Today

• Options
    I went for interviews last week in a similar situation. My POV was that I don't want to work for a group or company that isn't going to be supportive and understanding so I was going to focus on what value I could add, and if the conversation around me being pregnant felt natural then I would be straight forward and honest, while staying focused on the dedication I would continue to have to my work once I returned from my leave.

It felt right, and I'm happy with my choice, and it didn't put me out of the running (still waiting on a final decision).

Also - technically they can't ask you directly, so if you're worried then try to avoid the topic of pregnancy entirely.

Good luck!
  • Options
    i think its perfectly fine to be honest with what you'd like and  to also ask questions for what they'd prefer. Maybe you can meet somewhere in the middle. Perhaps tell them you'll do 6 weeks unpaid since you'd be just coming into the company. Either way, good luck!!
    \

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you!  The interview went Ok I think.  They requested copies of some of my work (I am in marketing) so that is a good sign and they seemed willing to work with me as far as after I have the baby allowing me to work from home during the 12 weeks post natal and just needing me to come in once a week to meet.  They are making a decision by Friday but I have decided that even though it is a better job than what I have now I am happy where I am as well so if I don't get it I won't be too upset.  :)  @srg716 good luck I hope yours turns out as you want!
  • Options
    ashley.hamilton13, I'm glad the interview went well.  Looking forward to seeing how it ends up.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Good Luck! Hope you get the job!