1st Trimester

Working in a small restaurant with morning sickness

Sorry if this only applies to me, I'm really hoping it doesn't. Does anyone else work in a small restaurant? I'm a bartender, at a bar and grill. But during the day time, im the only front of house employee, which as you can imagine, is quite difficult while also dealing with morning sickness. My bosses know I'm pregnant, as do my cooks, but I feel a bit helpless. I have to constantly bring a cook out to do my job bc I have to run to the bathroom and deal with the nausea. Is anyone else in the same boat or maybe even a similar one who can toss out a lifeline? 
Much thanks in advance

Re: Working in a small restaurant with morning sickness

• Meeeeeeee!!!! I'm a bartender, too. I typically work nights but had to open the other morning and I thought I was going to die from all the restaurant smells making me sick. Gratefully everyone I work with is super excited for me to be pregnant so they like helping me when I need it... the sickness should pass by the 2nd trimester. Hang in there! It's all we can do. And if you feel like your cook is getting annoyed by having to help, maybe tip them out a little to sweeten the deal?
  • I bartended and served with my first, but I survived it because i worked at night and I didn't have much sickness as my second one now. I'm sure you have tried it all, crackers or dry cereal in the mornings? That usually helps me when I wake up first thing I do is snack on that. Eat a few mints and lemon water. I hate having to be out in public now because I get really nauseous. I'm going to try to buy those sea bands hopefully they work. It takes adjustment and error and trial, luckily at a restaurant you can run about your own business and not be tied to an office chair lol. Hang in there honey, luckily you have cooks that can help you, if you're able to make the switch maybe apply somewhere else if it gets that bad! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Aww, I'm sorry. That sounds awful! I recently got a job at a wing place and I'm a little nervous the smells are going to get to me. I don't start until next week but I figured if I have to be sick, there's not much I can do about it. I'm going to buy some ginger candy to see if that helps. Otherwise, just take solace in the fact that it will pass by the second trimester. Good luck. 
  • Yes! Gratefully we stock saltines that I've found really help with the nausea... I was also thinking of trying sipping ginger beer during my next shift since it's more potent than regular ginger ale.
  • So I wish I had seen this before now. Thank you everyone for replying, forreal it's great to know I'm not the only one. The morning sickness is legitimately worse during the mornings, so day shifts really suck. But my cooks have been great and ask how I'm feeling every day. They also try to cook me healthy options and whatnot. Week 10 is coming up for me this Thursday, and that's pretty exciting. 
    Ps from my experience, the ginger candies are usually pretty good, and sea bands didn't help at all. But that's just me, and I know everyone is different. If you are getting tired of crackers, I ate a bunch of croutons today, slightly less bland.