April 2018 Moms

GTKY: What does everyone do for a living?

I am currently a full time Kitchen Designer for an online cabinet store.

Re: GTKY: What does everyone do for a living?

• Medical Laboratory Scientist at a VA Medical Center. I work with bodily fluids...  :s
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm an Operations Analyst for heavy equipment manufacturing.  I basically find ways to monitor and measure production equipment performance and develop key performance indicators to track progress/improvements.  So I pretty much stare at charts and graphs all day.   
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm a SAHM with my 5 and 2 year old. I just recently left my part time retail job a few months ago.
    My husband and I used to work opposite schedules since our 5yo was born to avoid the financial burden of daycare. But my husband had an amazing opportunity with a new company that made it not possible to work back to back like we had been.
    I sometimes miss working, but overall I like the new change, I get to see my husband so much more now. We used to only see each other 15mins a day 4 days a week, 2 half days, and one whole day off together. 

Dx w/Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy 3/3/12
    Induced 3/13/12 @ 37w2d | DD born 3/14/12 6:31pm 6lbs 15oz 19"
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Medical Laboratory Scientist at a VA Medical Center. I work with bodily fluids...  :s
    Hahaha I work as a municipal Laboratory Analyst for a Utilities lab. My husband says I play with poop for a living :P
  • I work in sales and customer service at an oil and chemical storage facility. Primarily I lease out giant tanks for liquid storage and coordinate logistics of import/export. It's a fulfilling career but I do wish I could be home more with DS and future LO.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @allowachick Good luck! I'm about to go back to school for a Masters in Health Administration later this month. It's all online, so I'll still be working full time also.
  • tgortney said:
    Medical Laboratory Scientist at a VA Medical Center. I work with bodily fluids...  :s
    Hahaha I work as a municipal Laboratory Analyst for a Utilities lab. My husband says I play with poop for a living :P
    Haha! I mostly work with blood, but also rotate in the Micro lab, so yeah, play with poop a fair amount too! I do love my job though!
  • @orangecup what's your best drink??

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @orangecup what's your best drink??
    Hmmm, there are a few things that customers will only order when I'm working. Baltimore Zoo, Side Car, Cosmo. My personal favorite drinks are wine and bourbons, depending on the occasion.
  • orangecup said:
    @orangecup what's your best drink??
    Hmmm, there are a few things that customers will only order when I'm working. Baltimore Zoo, Side Car, Cosmo. My personal favorite drinks are wine and bourbons, depending on the occasion.
    So, randomly, my husband LOVES bourbon, I'm a vodka or wine person myself, and he teases me because he claims to know I'm pregnant before I do. The test? Whether or not I come sniffing his Manhattan and tell him how delicious it smells. Apparently, without fail, I find the smell of bourbon entirely intoxicating (no pun intended) while pregnant and only somewhat interesting when not pregnant.

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • luna8433 said:
    7th grade math teacher. I go back to work next week. Before that I worked in the science field working with different instruments for analytical analysis .
    What company/instruments did you work with? Wondering if they might be some I've used in our lab.
  • I am a third grade teacher. I go back to work on the 28th. 
  • @Maureenmce, I do love my job and its pretty awesome that I get to spend my day working on subjects that are innately interesting to me! However, dude, your job sounds super interesting too! Can you share which shows you've worked on? Or your faves??? I have a friend that works in Washington (state) as a casting director. I totally fan-girled when I saw her name on the credits of this random psyfi show Grimm.

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm a Statistical Clerk for a maintenance facility that does overhaul and wreck repair work on train cars and Locomotives.  I mainly track the cost (hours and materials) into fixing the overhauled units. It's pretty much a lot of excel spreadsheets and formulas. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • I'm a third grade teacher! 

@kimmerann3 do your kiddos start after Labor Day? Lucky! We (teachers) go back on August 22nd and kids start August 28. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm a "nursing support associate" at an academic medical center. I do administrative support work, graphic design, and manage the nursing department's website. I'm going back to school to be a registered dietitian.
  • I'm a mortgage loan processor. It's stressful, but never boring. I spend a lot of my day problem solving. And I absolutely love the girls I work with, they are like my best friends! I anticipate working up until my DD and taking at least 6 weeks of leave once baby is here. 

Prior to the mortgage industry, I was a gymnastics coach for 5 years. 

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married 5/3/14, TTC ever since

DX: Lean PCOS, Clomid resistant

Femara 7.5 + Ovidrel = BFP! Due 4/15/18

• I'm mostly a SAHM. I'm a nurse but I'm back in school. My end goal is CRNA. I also coach and judge all star cheer. Judging is all over the country, but since that generally involves flying nearly every single weekend during competition season (December - April is the peak), I will likely be only judging relatively locally this season between being pregnant and in school.

Me (33). DH (37). DD (2.2012). MCs x4. After 4 years & 7 months, due 4.2018!

• I'm a Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) and I do outpatient adult mental health therapy. The majority of my experience is in mood disorders. I also previously worked in psychiatric research as a study coordinator.  
  • Another teacher here. I teach history and social science at high school level. Complete politics junkie as well. Luckily my school is nearby so I always ride my bike if weather permits (but it rains aaaaaaalot over here). I go back september 3rd (summer holiday didn't start till 22nd of July!) 
  • @tooraloorah yes kids go back after Labor Day! Next year will be different. We will go back aug 6 and get out the end of may. That makes for a short summer next year. 

Lots of teachers!! : ) 
  • luna8433luna8433 member
    edited August 2017
    @jilliant26 the one i worked on the most was an IRMS isotope ratio mass spectrometer. It focused on carbon and nitrogen isotopes. We had other MS but that was the main one I worked on. I really liked that job. Then I worked for a company that manufactured instruments that mostly measured salt in water. I tested them to make sure they worked before the were shipped out. I hated that job and that's when I decided to go back to school to be a teacher. 

Edit to add the company names 1st was stable isotope facility and 2nd insitu. I have thought about medical labs but I don't think I am qualified.
  • +1 to the teacher crew over here... I teach Middle and High School Culinary Arts! We start back on Monday, and kids start on Wednesday.
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• I work in the accounting department for a clinical research company (researching cures for infectious diseases). I mainly handle travel for government employees/scientists and requests for continued education. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• I work in Finance for a Fortune 500 Company!

im also a mom blogger and in school for my project management professional certification.  

So yeah... I don't sleep. https://www.hrvamoms.com/
    Ashley Gillis
    Alice - 3/19/16
    Baby #2 - 4/22/18 (?)

Get more of me at Hampton Roads Moms.