April 2018 Moms

Still breastfeeding?

What's your game plan?

My son is 15 months and we're still nursing AM and PM. We love our BF relationship so I hate to see it end. It's not inconvenient, I just feel like it might be too much on my body. I had planned to stop in Nov because I have a business trip for 3 days but I was going to see if he self weans when my milk changes and it tastes like garbage to him. Haha wishful thinking. 

Any ideas on how pregnancy might change your BFing timeline? I truly wish I could do it till he's 2 but I also feel like these boobs need a break from nourishing tiny humans for a bit.

Re: Still breastfeeding?

• Cricket99Cricket99 member
    edited August 2017
    *Lurking from J18* 
    I found out I was pregnant when my DS was 15 months as well. I wasn't fully ready to end the BF relationship either, but my body had other plans. I was completely dried up by the time DS was about 16 months. Your body and your DS will let you know when it's time. We had to force the end a little as he was just sucking on an empty boob, which was uncomfortable, but my body was just done. I will say it is really nice to have my boobs back.

ETA: Changed it from J17 to J18 because baby brain and I can't count...
  • I can definitely see how BFIng while pregnant wouldn't be appealing.  I hope if you decide to stop you know that that that is totally okay and that you've done so well making it this far!  If you decide to continue, I have several friends who had really good results with the More Milk Two supplement that you can take while pregnant.
    ***March '18 October Siggy Challenge: Halloween Costume Fails***

• Loading the player...
  • Hey @tgortney, I can't help you cause I'm a FTM, but there's a STM thread that you might be able to ask this in also! 
  • *dirty lurker*

@tgortney Congrats, fellow May '16 mom! I'm still nursing as well and planning to TTC very soon. I'm interested in this topic and following along! I know some nursing moms keep on going and even tandem nurse, which apparently can really help bring in your supply for the new baby, but at some point you are likely to be dry nursing or your son may not like the colostrum taste. Whatever happens you have done an amazing thing nursing this long!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• tgortneytgortney member
    edited August 2017
    @Cricket99 I dread the dry nursing, it sounds horrible and painful. I'm just trying to find the sweet spot of weaning, if that even exists haha.

thanks for the replies @lalala2004 and @bettyvonsomethingstein :)

@looeeze Thanks! I was hoping some STM who still nursed would find this thread helpful as they go through their pregnancy/BFing journey. Since it's a pretty specific/elaborate topic, I hope it'll be easier to find than scrolling through the STM threads.

Edited because of missing words
  • Hi! I am still nursing my 2 year old just at night. It just started to hurt today. I breastfed my 1st pregnant as well. It didn't feel pleasant but I took my time weaning (I have had mastitis like 3 times). I started to use a timer for our feedings and slowly cut her back. By the time I was 8ish months pregnant my 1st was weaned at 2 years old. I'm glad I was able to give her that time but I will say I felt I cut it too close. Once the baby was born my 2 year toddler was jealous the baby was nursing. Personally I didn't like tandem feeding. My body was tired! But we worked through it and all went well. So do what works best for you! Maybe try to start cutting back on the AM feeding so you'll want to do the PM one? I get it my boobs are tired not sure I'll be able to breastfeed the third so long :( oh and i never dried out and no body cared that the milk changed apparently lol. But each person is different!
  • @lesliegolem thanks for sharing!! Yeah that's also what I'm afraid of, jealousy. He's a boob monster moreso for AM than PM. I guess because he hasn't eaten or drank anything for 10+ hours. I'll miss sleeping in :( it's so nice to just nurse and so he goes back to sleep. 

it's also nice for when he's sick or teething, because he can be super picky with food when he is, I can just give him breast milk and know he's getting nutrients in.

I never thought it would be so much harder to stop than keep going!
  • I went through this with my first and am going through it again with a this one. My first weaned at 2.5 when I was 6 months pregnant. I was putting pressure on him to nurse less, but ultimately he self weaned, probably because of having less milk. 
    My second will be three in November and I hope to be done by then. Actually that was my goals even before getting pregnant. He still nurses a ton though, so I'm in sure it won't be easy. 
    Being pregnant definitely helps with weaning though, both with decreased milk supply and in my motivation to stop it. 
  • Still bf my aug16 baby. I have no plans to wean. Just been flying by the seat of my pants pretty much this whole time. I feel like it'll happen when it'll happen and I'm not going to stress in the mean time if I'm going to wean at 16m of 18m. I never imagined I'd tandem, but now I'm definitely open to it it the situation presents it self. DS is still nursing half a dozen times or do through the day. He's just night weaned himself about 2 weeks ago. So no end in sight for us and the time being. 
    DH(27) + Me (27) = 1/14
    Baby #1: Aug. 2016
    Baby #2: April 1st, 2018
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• I have a 2 year old and we're still nursing at nap time, bedtime and first wake up. I plan to cut first wake up now that I know I'm pregnant. And then nap mostly because I know how uncomfy it's going to get soon with sore boobs and since DS is two I think it's time for me to have more say!
  • ivdrivdr member
    My son is 21 months and I just found out I am pregnant last week. We still bfeed late afternoon, at night before bed and during the night a couple of times (we co-sleep from when he wakes up).                                                             I planned to continue nursing until he was ready to stop. But my nipples have a dif agenda....they are so damn sore already! I feel that I will need to wean sooner rather than later, as the discomfort is going to get the better of me.          If you are still enjoying the feeding, I say continue for as long as you and your little man see convenient. I am so envious of you!
    We have had such a lovely experience and I feel grateful for the time I was able to nourish my little one with 'Mama's milk'
      All the best! Xx
  • I still BF my almost-16 month old in the morning and before bed. Frankly I've been ready to be done with it for a while, but I'm following her lead and she's really into it. I've heard babies often wean when you become pregnant because the milk changes composition/flavor - does anyone know when that happens? So far there has been no change in her appetite around here....
  • @mountainsmama I've heard after 12 weeks. Mostly the milk decreases A LOT. Which makes sense because your body is now trying to support 3 living beings (you, toddler and baby).

i love that there are so many nursing toddler moms on this BMB! :):) 
  • I didn't BF my DD but I came across this article that maybe those that do or plan to (and maybe even have to pump) interesting

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/high-tech-breast-pumps-help-053736659.html

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • My 2 year old just finished nursing today. She's been down to just comfort nursing for a few seconds at nap and bedtime for a little while though, so its just a good time. I talked with her about saying bye bye to nursing for a week or so, ad we just didn't today, and she was okay with it. My first weaned similarly at a little over 18 months. I have lots of friends and family that nursed during pregnancy, and one of my friends is currently nursing her 4 year old, 3 year old, and 18 month old still. Its amazing what the human body is capable of. Wean if you feel like its a good decision for you and your baby, but don't feel like its a must, and not everyone dries up during pregnancy. Plenty of people tandem nurse.
  • Pregnant with baby #3 right now and still nursing #2 (12 months).

#1 was 10 months old when I got pregnant with #2 and we nursed until he was 16 months. My supply was not plentiful, but I was still producing milk the whole pregnancy, even when not nursing. I never had discomfort while nursing, but I do know some women can experience discomfort.

I found success using the 'don't offer unless asked' method with #1 (started at 14 months) and I'll do the same with #2 in a few months. If #1 nuzzled, or pulled on my shirt, or signed milk, I'd nurse him, if he didn't we'd just cuddle.

Hope this helps!

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @tgortney Fellow May 2016 mom?! This is Anna, Heidi's mom. 
  • Still nursing my almost 2 yo DD. Only before bed time and it's not every night, so I think she may wean soon. Kind of going with the "don't offer, but don't refuse" technique at the moment. I had hoped to be fully weaned before getting pregnant again, but this little bean took us by surprise!
  • My son is 17 months and we still nurse 3-5 times a day. He loves it, I love it, so we're not looking forward to stopping. I'm just going to let him do his thing, though, and as long as we both want to keep going, we will.

I do plan to stop around 2 years old, though, but that's not until next February, so we'll see how he weathers the change from milk to colostrum. I kind of hope he loses interest in it all on his own.

• I'm still nursing my 19 month old 2-3 times per day. She's a comfort nursing maniac so this will probably continue for some time. I'm not against tandem nursing but I had low supply with her and had to supplement so for the next baby's sake I'll probably wean in 2nd trimester if she hasn't on her own by then. 

Me: 35, Hubbie: 33
    Married DH: 2013
    DD: Dec 2015
    BFP 8/14/17 --> Due 4/27/2018

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• @tgortney Fellow May 2016 mom?! This is Anna, Heidi's mom. 
    @pantherkiss0586 hello fellow May 16 mom! I remember you! Congrats!!
  • How's everyone milk and latching situation?

Ive noticed DS's latch is starting to feel like newborn days again, that initial twinge then it's ok. I'm just glad it's not 8-10 times a day anymore! :#
  • Milk situation is stable, for the moment (I'm still super early), and latch is okay. I could do without the incessant pinching though... She's driving me crazy!

I'm pretty sure I could just stop offering DD and she'd wean... She's not nearly as boob obsessed as DS was. I think she'd demand boob at bedtime and that's it. She doesn't ask during the day at all, she nuzzles at nap times but if Dad puts her down she doesn't need me. She doesn't wake to nurse at all. I have to wake her in the AM to nurse before we take her to school. DS was way more into nursing constantly... I'm a little sad that DD is more independent already : (

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ivdrivdr member
    The latch is fine, my nipples are just extremely sensitive....it feels like he is dry nursing everytime! Maybe my milk is going? 
      Thought this didn't happen until 12wks at least?
  • My son is still nursing. I'm hoping he goes a bit longer, but we hit all of our big goals with my biggest being to let him decide when he's done.  No changes in latch or comfort for me yet.  Dd nursed until I was 20 weeks with ds, and she just stopped without a fuss. 
  • Nips are definitely getting more sensitive. DS nurses ~4x a day and I think my supply is beginning to dip as he fusses and signs "more" after he finishes nursing. :( 
    DH(27) + Me (27) = 1/14
    Baby #1: Aug. 2016
    Baby #2: April 1st, 2018
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker