September 2017 Moms

New to The Bump! Diving right in... TMI... Help!

I'm a little late on the game when it comes to joining the message boards but it's so nice to read everyone else's experiences and advice. I'm at just over 34 weeks, due mid-September with my first and I've had a pretty good pregnancy up until the past week... I've been able to manage the SI pain and overall body discomfort with massage/accupuncture/chiro but this past week, something else has "popped" up for the second time shall we say... Yep..Hemorrhoids... And they are BAD. I've gotten over being mortified and embarrassed about discussing them and realize there are a lot of people in the same boat as me. (Definitely NOT the fun boat...)

The first time they appeared was around Easter and when the doctor had a look, she agreed... they were quite big. They seemed to settle down after a week of cream, baths & tucks pads etc and since then I've been ok. 

Then this past weekend they came back with a vengeance!! They are HUGE! Much, much bigger than last time. I had an appointment on Tuesday and the doctor pretty much told me I was just going to have to deal with them this time around as we were too close to my due date to do anything surgically about them. I was really, really hoping they could lance them or something. I was also told that "Well, they'll likely get worse before they get better... sorry.". And then last night, they started to bleed. I called the clinic and was told to call them if they started to bleed more but otherwise, not much we could do. UGH!!! I'm eating fruit like I'll never see it again and taking a daily stool softener, drinking lots of water etc, so *that* isn't the issue. It literally hurts to sit down and pee because of the pressure. 

I am just SO uncomfortable and for the first time during my pregnancy I'm feeling really emotional about this whole thing and now I'm worried about just how bad they'll get once I push a baby out. I finally gave in and took some tylenol last night so I could sleep and I'm enjoying feeling like a teenager on their first period again with a pad crammed into my underwear to prevent a mess.... Amazing.

Can anyone give me any thoughts on things that worked for them to ease the discomfort, personal experiences as to how bad things will get after delivery or heck, even a funny story for a laugh? I could use a bit of moral support. Thank you! 

Re: New to The Bump! Diving right in... TMI... Help!

• Hello and welcome!!! There are a lot of people who will be happy to help but more people will see it if you post in the Symptoms thread that already exists. Also, maybe check out the "Read this first" page.  
  • edited August 2017
    I'd encourage you to post this to the symptoms thread. I'm sure a lot of mommas have this experience. Also feel free to intro on the intro thread at the top of the page so that we can get to know a little more about you. Since this is your very first post ever, I'm not so sure that anyone is going to be particularly invested in your butt problems.

To relieve the discomfort I've used OTC cream a couple times and mostly have used makeup pads soaked in witch hazel and then frozen. My provider gave me a varicosity tincture that is supposed to help with pulling them back up from whence they came, but she said it may or may not work this late in the game. You're provider is right that they're likely to get worse before they get better. At this point it really is just a matter of managing them until delivery. With baby putting pressure on your innards, and with the pushing that will happen in just a few weeks, your SOL. But then your body will be able to deal a little better and you'll have more options for getting rid of them.

Edited because there/their/they're

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely something to post in symptoms instead of a new thread. Sorry you are in pain.
  • Ugh sorry about the hemorrhoids :( I have some too and I'm so worried about them. Another vote for witch hazel, and try perhaps the hemorrhoid phenylephrine suppositories - they are on my approved for pregnancy list. I can't remember the brand name for them at the moment.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Thank you ladies! I'll do some more reading and get to know the board a bit better when it comes to posting what & where. I really appreciate your responses though! 
    I'll have to do some looking into some of the things I haven't tried yet. I'll pretty much try anything!! 
  • The only thing that got rid of the pain and shrunk mine..(they were huge and bleeding also) was epson salt in every bath I took. I would take 2-3 baths a day if I could with epson salt and wow it's amazing how it shrunk them and I'm painfree now. Now I take an epson salt bath at least 2-3 times a week just to keep it under control!! Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you! We're actually spending the weekend at a hotel and I've got a bag of Epsom salts and a good book packed so I can have a bath. I'm really looking forward to it. At the moment we don't have a working bathtub at home . :/ Great time for home renos right? It'll be lovely when it's done though and hubby feels awful that it isn't done yet. 
  • Carebella said:
    You can buy a sitz "bath" that will fit on the toilet and you can fill with water and Epsom salts. That can help with the hemerroids now and they can also help after baby for recover, especially if you tear. 
    This!!

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118